corner corner Two books that were actually one.

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Two books that were actually one.

I released a bunch of books to take to a public event, and in the process I though I'd discovered that I had two copies of the same cassette audiobook, both from the same person: one registered in January 2007 and the other registered in February 2014.

One copy did not get claimed and came home with me. So I journaled it as back in my possession and available.

Then I was going through the photos I took, and and noticed that the bottom of the box showed the BCID. I edited the first three numbers out of the photo...but realized that it was _not_ the number I thought I had.

So I did some serious detective work (looked at the box): it's labeled once on the bottom (2007 registration) and once on the top (2014 registration).

Only the original person and I have journaled the book: the older registration has a detailed first journal entry but the second one does not.

I've sent a PM to the person who registered the book and am waiting to hear back - in the meantime the book will sit because it's too confusing to release as-is.

*It's not up to me* since I didn't register it either time, but what would YOU do?

If it were my decision, I would probably keep the 2007 BCID since those journal entries have more info, ask the person who actually had custody to re-label the box accordingly, and either:

1) retire the second BCID with a journal entry to explain (mark PC or traveling).

or

2) reassign the second BCID to a different book, after making a journal entry to explain.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I released a bunch of books to take to a public event, and in the process I though I'd discovered that I had two copies of the same cassette audiobook, both from the same person: one registered in January 2007 and the other registered in February 2014.

One copy did not get claimed and came home with me. So I journaled it as back in my possession and available.

Then I was going through the photos I took, and and noticed that the bottom of the box showed the BCID. I edited the first three numbers out of the photo...but realized that it was _not_ the number I thought I had.

So I did some serious detective work (looked at the box): it's labeled once on the bottom (2007 registration) and once on the top (2014 registration).

Only the original person and I have journaled the book: the older registration has a detailed first journal entry but the second one does not.

I've sent a PM to the person who registered the book and am waiting to hear back - in the meantime the book will sit because it's too confusing to release as-is.

*It's not up to me* since I didn't register it either time, but what would YOU do?

If it were my decision, I would probably keep the 2007 BCID since those journal entries have more info, ask the person who actually had custody to re-label the box accordingly, and either:

1) retire the second BCID with a journal entry to explain (mark PC or traveling).

or

2) reassign the second BCID to a different book, after making a journal entry to explain.
Profile Image
I love this story. :)

Good luck with sorting it out. Your suggested solution seems fine. Once you've established that there was only one, I'd go for the second option and recycle the BCID.
Profile Image
I love this story. :)

Good luck with sorting it out.

The funny thing is - it's just as well that nobody else took this audiobook home. If they had, I never would have figured out about the 2 BCIDs and I'd always think I'd released two copies at the same time!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.