corner corner Do you ever have Releaser's Remorse?

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Do you ever have Releaser's Remorse?

And if so, do you try to do anything about it?

For me, it comes in two flavors:

1) After I release a book, I realize that I shouldn't have, and want it back.

Usually it's too late for me to reclaim the book, but I have once or twice gone back to try to retrieve it.

2) After the book is released, I wish I had released it somewhere else.

Sometimes I go back and move it; other times I don't.

This evening, I released a book, took a photo, walked away, and then *almost* went back to move it to another spot, but I decided to leave it where it was, figuring I'd release a book in the other place another time.

When I checked on it two hours later, it was still where I'd left it...but by the time I got home to "officially" release it, it had been journaled.

So at least this time, it was good that I _didn't_ go back and move the book from its original release spot! :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13831401

Complete Thread

Profile Image
And if so, do you try to do anything about it?

For me, it comes in two flavors:

1) After I release a book, I realize that I shouldn't have, and want it back.

Usually it's too late for me to reclaim the book, but I have once or twice gone back to try to retrieve it.

Sometimes I go back and move it; other times I don't.

This evening, I released a book, took a photo, walked away, and then *almost* went back to move it to another spot, but I decided to leave it where it was, figuring I'd release a book in the other place another time.

When I checked on it two hours later, it was still where I'd left it...but by the time I got home to "officially" release it, it had been journaled.

So at least this time, it was good that I _didn't_ go back and move the book from its original release spot! :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13831401
Profile Image

This. I almost always second guess where I placed it.

Profile Image

This. I almost always second guess where I placed it.

Me too!
Profile Image

Yes, sometimes when I release a book and then find another spot which might be better.
However, whats done is done and I don't go back.
If, for instance, I find the book still there the next day I will move it.
My devise is just give it a change.
Profile Image
I almost never experience option 1, as I generally have "keeper" copies of books I know I'll want to re-read, though once in a long while I've released a book on the assumption that it would be easy to replace and then found that it was much more rare than I'd thought.

This, not very often but often enough: sometimes it's a matter of spotting a (more) perfect release spot some time later, or it's the realization that that particular book would have been perfect for next month's release challenges - or that it fills a wish for someone I really wanted to be able to send a book to. (That's the "darn, I *know* I had a copy of that - oh, wait, I released it already" syndrome.) Rarely, I have gone back to see if the book was where I left it, and - even more rarely - it was, and I was able to retrieve it for a different purpose.

I do sometimes relocate books that I didn't regret releasing in the first place; book-swap shelves, OBCZs, and Little Free Libraries often hold some of the same books I left there on previous release runs. (Sometimes this occurs after the books have been absent from those shelves for a while - many people seem to find it simpler to return the books to where they were found, whether they bother to journal them or not.) If I spot a book of mine that's been there for a very long time, and/or if I have a new release-challenge or wishlist-fulfilment plan for it, I may retrieve it.
Profile Image
I almost never experience option 1, as I generally have "keeper" copies of books I know I'll want to re-read, though once in a long while I've released a book on the assumption that it would be easy to replace and then found that it was much more rare than I'd thought.

Sometimes it's because I should have saved it for an upcoming challenge, or because it would have been better off RABCK'd to someone than wild released, or because I realized that I meant to read it first!

Like you, I've also had a couple that were harder to find than expected when I wanted to reread them.
Profile Image
I sent a new copy of a very expensive book to another BCer who said she wanted it for her PC and she wild released it. Within days. Outside, on a bench, if I remember correctly. I won't go into details but I was not happy. I probably shouldn't have been upset but I get sad knowing it may now be in a dump.
Profile Image
I sent a new copy of a very expensive book to another BCer who said she wanted it for her PC and she wild released it. Within days.

Ah, that's another variant - I'd forgotten. While I think of wild-releasing as the default state for BC books, if somebody requested a book specifically to keep, I'd be more than a little surprised to see such a quick turnaround.

In my case it's more often the reverse - I sent someone a book that I hoped they'd wild-release after enjoying it, but either it got filed as "PC" and never moved again or got wild-released immediately (as in the same day it arrived) without any comment as to whether the recipient had read it before, tried it and didn't care for it, nada. [That last happened with some bookbox contents, and annoyed me very much because the person who took those books and released them unread was depriving other bookbox participants of a chance to actually read them. I still don't understand what was going on there. If somebody wants books to release unread, such as the many OBCZ or LFL managers, they can request same, and I've been happy to send out books for those causes, but a themed/genre bookbox suggests at least some interest in reading the bleeping books!]
Profile Image
[That last happened with some bookbox contents, and annoyed me very much because the person who took those books and released them unread was depriving other bookbox participants of a chance to actually read them. I still don't understand what was going on there. If somebody wants books to release unread, such as the many OBCZ or LFL managers, they can request same, and I've been happy to send out books for those causes, but a themed/genre bookbox suggests at least some interest in reading the bleeping books!]

Well, I swiped a few books from the box I just sent you and will be releasing them unread...because (IMO - and I did let 6of8 know) they didn't belong in the box in the first place (religion and fiction in the Bio of Things box). I did put a note in my journal entries trying to nicely explain why.
Profile Image
Well, I swiped a few books from the box I just sent you and will be releasing them unread...because (IMO - and I did let 6of8 know) they didn't belong in the box in the first place (religion and fiction in the Bio of Things box). I did put a note in my journal entries trying to nicely explain why.

Oh, that's fine - I've done a few "tidy up the bookbox" passes myself! (My favorite was the audiobook box that came to me with half-a-dozen print books included. Yeah.) But in those cases I either try to read the books or post a JE explaining why I took them out and didn't read them. What bugged me about the example I posted was that the books were carefully chosen, books I enjoyed, perfect for the bookbox theme, etc. - and the chooser never even commented on them, not even as much as "couldn't resist taking this for a themed release challenge even though I won't be reading it". So, yeah, kind of a sore point for me whenever I've taken the trouble to mail books, though I don't have the same expectations of wild releases.
Profile Image
I sent a new copy of a very expensive book to another BCer who said she wanted it for her PC and she wild released it. Within days.

Ok, that would definitely be annoying. Maybe a bit more excusable if that person somehow received two copies of the same book in a short time, but a little explanation in a journal entry would be nice...and maybe an effort to find someone else who wants a copy!
Profile Image
I sent a wished for book to someone (in Australia) and as the book was just over the minimum postal rate and I had to pay a higher rate, I decided to fill a post bag with a number of other books too. (If I had known the wished for book was heavier than I expected I would likely not have sent it, but I had already inquired if the person still wanted it, and they had replied they did, so I considered it would have been rude to take back the offer.)
The person never thanked me for the books. At least they journalled the books arrival, but with no thank you, either in the journal entries, or a private message. That was years ago and I have never heard again from any of the books; not even the wished for book. I would have expected at least that one to be read and reviewed. The others, I would not have been offended if they had wild released them immediately. After hearing nothing I have become less generous with sending books on people's wishlists. I wild release books instead. That person left me very disappointed for some time. The books I sent were not rubbish books either. What a waste!
Profile Image
I released a book in an outdoor area by my college, and I got on the subway, only to kick myself thinking about how I should have left it indoors. Well, that turned out to be my first catch.

I guess I am experiencing the beauty of BookCrossing. You just never know what will happen next!
Profile Image

I know that this thread is really old, but I exprience this almost every time I release a book! This isn't saying much, since I've only released about 6 or 7 books, but it's still true!
Profile Image
I am relieved when I release a book, as it is one piece of less clutter at home. It makes me happy.
Profile Image
I exprience this almost every time I release a book!

Why?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.