corner corner A LFL catch!

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

A LFL catch!

I found a Little Free Library not far from my home the other week and was very excited. Took about twenty books down in the hope that someone would 'catch' one. And one checked in today :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13419745

I hope more follow soon :)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I found a Little Free Library not far from my home the other week and was very excited. Took about twenty books down in the hope that someone would 'catch' one. And one checked in today :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13419745

I hope more follow soon :)
Profile Image
Excellent JE, too, and a new member! (Worth cross-posting in Site Watch as well. Nice one!)
Profile Image
how does one start a little free library in their area? i was looking at the site but it doesn't say much except you can pay $25 to buy a book to tell you how to start one. Seems a lot of money for information on starting something that you would be offering for free and starting with your own books. I can't seem to find one in my area.
Profile Image
FWIW, not all LFLs are listed on their site - that requires a one-time fee that not everyone wants to pay - so there might be some near you that aren't advertised. You might check the "go hunting" pages for your area, using the "view all" button to see release locations that may not have had recent releases; if there are any "Little Free Library" entries on the list, you might be in luck! Or try LibraryThing's "little libraries" search-option - its members can list LFLs and OBCZs along with any other book-swap locations they come across, and sometimes this reveals LFLs that aren't on the official site OR on BC's hunting pages.

(Be warned that some LFLs don't last; I've had several - some of them listed on the official site - that simply are not at the location anymore. But others have been well-maintained and are on my list of regular release-stops.)
Profile Image
FWIW, not all LFLs are listed on their site - that requires a one-time fee that not everyone wants to pay - so there might be some near you that aren't advertised. You might check the "go hunting" pages for your area, using the "view all" button to see release locations that may not have had recent releases; if there are any "Little Free Library" entries on the list, you might be in luck! Or try LibraryThing's "little libraries" search-option - its members can list LFLs and OBCZs along with any other book-swap locations they come across, and sometimes this reveals LFLs that aren't on the official site OR on BC's hunting pages.

(Be warned that some LFLs don't last; I've had several - some of them listed on the official site - that simply are not at the location anymore. But others have been well-maintained and are on my list of regular release-stops.)

thank you.. I did that and found a few in the Charleston area so if I ever get that way again I will check them out.
Profile Image
how does one start a little free library in their area?

Basically: you build or buy a box or cabinet, make sure it's waterproof, put it outside (on your premises, or in a spot where you have permission to put it) and fill it with books. That's the basic idea.
If you want it to be an officially registered Little Free Library, you can register it on their website, but you can certainly have a book exchange box without that, it's up to you.
Profile Image
how does one start a little free library in their area?

Basically: you build or buy a box or cabinet, make sure it's waterproof, put it outside (on your premises, or in a spot where you have permission to put it) and fill it with books. That's the basic idea.
If you want it to be an officially registered Little Free Library, you can register it on their website, but you can certainly have a book exchange box without that, it's up to you.

hmmmmm...I already set up a free book box at the laundromat that I refill once a week but on Sunday which is the only day I can get there to do our laundry and no management there I will have to stop in on day during the week to see if they will allow me to enlarge the box to a bookcase and make it a book exchange and I could try to grab any unlabeled books for BC :-)...
Profile Image
I sure don't think you have to buy a book to start a LFL. I'm guessing the book is about the movement, more than a how-to.

If you want to be "official" you do have to pay a fee to register at the site, but if I could have a LFL I'd want to do that. There are a couple around town that call themselves something like library box and don't use the words "Little Free Library" so I know they have not.

They look similar and serve the same purpose, but won't be listed if anyone goes looking for a LFL on their site.
Profile Image
how does one start a little free library in their area? i was looking at the site but it doesn't say much except you can pay $25 to buy a book to tell you how to start one. Seems a lot of money for information on starting something that you would be offering for free and starting with your own books. I can't seem to find one in my area.

The book you mentioned is not a how-to, but a beautiful coffee table type book with pictures and stories from those of us who already have our own LFLs and want to share the excitement.

In our city, we have over 160 of these wonderful community gems. Of those, about 65 are official, registered Little Free Libraries. Most are build and installed by a private home-owners. Those on public land (schools, parks, walk-ways) take more effort to obtain permission and a group to help keep the LFL in order and stocked.

It is a most rewarding hobby and ties in nicely with BookCrossing, although most BC books are never journalled.

Hope this information helps.
Profile Image
What a nice JE! (And a cool-looking LFL, too :-)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.