corner corner Hello, from Bookcaneer

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Hello, from Bookcaneer

Hello guys.

I have been developing in the last weeks a tool for people who love reading books. It will help them share the books you love with other fans of lecture, probably fellow citizens of your same city/town.

There are 2 main functions you can do in the site:

1) You can share a book. You input the details of the book you want to share, and the location where this book is located. (It doesn't have to be your exact address. It can be any place you want. For instance, a local cafeteria. Any place where you can meet to do the exchange.

2) Find books: You can input your location on the map, and the website will show you what books are ready to be shared in a 10 km radius.

This is not a substitute for bookcrossing.com at all, since it does not have any community feature. It is a tool that can be used in combination, and I hope it would make easier the task of sharing your books.

The address is http://www.bookcaneer.com/

In the moment there are barely no books inside the database, since it just launched, but I would love if you guys would want to give it a try, and see if you think it could be a valuable tool.

I would love it if everyone would give it a look, and tell me what you think about it. I would love to hear some feedback.

I look forward to hear your opinions.

Cheers!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello guys.

I have been developing in the last weeks a tool for people who love reading books. It will help them share the books you love with other fans of lecture, probably fellow citizens of your same city/town.

There are 2 main functions you can do in the site:

1) You can share a book. You input the details of the book you want to share, and the location where this book is located. (It doesn't have to be your exact address. It can be any place you want. For instance, a local cafeteria. Any place where you can meet to do the exchange.

2) Find books: You can input your location on the map, and the website will show you what books are ready to be shared in a 10 km radius.

This is not a substitute for bookcrossing.com at all, since it does not have any community feature. It is a tool that can be used in combination, and I hope it would make easier the task of sharing your books.

The address is http://www.bookcaneer.com/

In the moment there are barely no books inside the database, since it just launched, but I would love if you guys would want to give it a try, and see if you think it could be a valuable tool.

I would love it if everyone would give it a look, and tell me what you think about it. I would love to hear some feedback.

I look forward to hear your opinions.

Cheers!
Profile Image
You don't have to invade the different fora.
One is enough.
Profile Image
The post on the Newbies forum was a mistake. I couldn't delete it, but I edited it so the moderators could delete it.

Thanks for bringing it up to my attention.
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome! I think it would be a good idea if you explained more about your site in your post here; I'm sure I'm not the only person who's hesitant to click on strange links without more context.

If your site has to do with book-swapping (it wasn't clear from your post just WHAT it's for), how does it compare with sites like PaperbackSwap.com and other swap-sites? If you're offering features that aren't available elsewhere, mentioning those might help.

And, of course, since you're here, do try registering and releasing a few books in your area - it's fun!
Profile Image
Thanks for the comments. I have added some details on the first post, about how the process of exchanging books works. I hope this clarifies a little the process.

I do not know PaperBackSwap, so I it is possible that it is not the same (even though through a first glance, Bookcaneer is at least more simplistic.)

The point of Bookcaneer is about finding books that are **nearby** your area. The feature it aims for is "ease-of-use", with a really simple interface and easy directions to follow.

Please feel free to ask more about it. I'd be happy to answer your doubts.
Profile Image
Sounds like Bookcrossing to me.
Profile Image
I'd use the Go Hunting pages here, so no thanks.
Profile Image
I do not know PaperBackSwap

That surprises me, I'd think one would do a bit of research before starting a project such as yours. What about BookMooch? Both of these seem pretty similar to your site.

Anyway, BookCrossing is indeed very different, but not because it has a community feature; it's different because swapping is only a sideline, and leaving books in public places is the main game around here.

These forums aren't moderated, by the way. But it looks like one of our Support volunteers stepped in and fulfilled your request.

I'm personally not interested in swapping, but I wish you lots of fun and success with your site. Please also try out BookCrossing, while you're all signed up and everything. You'll be missing out if you don't.
Profile Image
Please also try out BookCrossing, while you're all signed up and everything. You'll be missing out if you don't.

Hear hear!
Profile Image
Indeed, a basic difference is that the exchange in direct in Bookcaneer, instead of leaving it in public places.

I will investigate more about BookCrossing for sure.

Cheers.
Profile Image
Indeed, a basic difference is that the exchange in direct in Bookcaneer, instead of leaving it in public places.

I will investigate more about BookCrossing for sure.

Cheers.

aha! well the one I listed was one I left in a public place. I didn't quite understand your directions but no I am not interested in a direct face to face swapping of books. the leaving in public places is much more suited to me. I am going to go see if I can delete my account on your site. If not I will let you know and request that you do it for me as you are the moderator. thanks!
Profile Image
Hey, I thought I would give it a try and entered one book to see how it worked. It's a lot of work to go through to enter a book! Also, there is no way to type in the address at the end of the exact location of where the book is and that red marker doesn't really show the person the name of the business or place where the book is left. If you want people to find the books you need to allow a place to type in the name of the business where the book was left. But seriously after just entering one book I doubt I would use it as I said it is a lot of time just to enter one book and I can't imagine entering anymore. Good try! But I think BC has all we need and this while a good idea needs to go back to the drawing board.
Profile Image

deleted

okay I was able to cancel my account there. I would suggest you try bookcrossing before trying to get into something like what you were attempting. A lot of us are busy people and leaving books at places we frequent is much easier than setting up meetings with people. good luck but I doubt you will find a lot of interested people here in BC especially when you are just using the site to promote your own and not actually participating with us in our place.
Profile Image

RE: deleted

Your account has been successfully deleted, and no data has been saved, so dont worry about it.

That is an interesting feedback that you gave. Indeed, writing an address is a good idea to add later on.

You said that entering a new book was a lot of work. What part is the one that seem unnecessary to you? How would you make it simpler?

Thanks a lot for your opinion.
Profile Image
Your account has been successfully deleted, and no data has been saved, so dont worry about it.

That is an interesting feedback that you gave. Indeed, writing an address is a good idea to add later on.

You said that entering a new book was a lot of work. What part is the one that seem unnecessary to you? How would you make it simpler?

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I'm not sure how I would make it simpler but I had to look up the authors name for one thing so maybe eventually you could add a link to a data base of books or connect to amazon.com like they have here on BC so all the information fills in automatically. I guess I got spoiled here not having to look up information. Also, as I said have a place to add the address of the meeting place rather than just an arrow that could be for anywhere in that general area. Like the one I placed could have been the laundromat where I did leave the book, or the waffle house or the pita place or.... lol... to general a marking.
Profile Image

RE: RE: deleted

If I were you, I'd try the book registration feature here on BookCrossing, so you can compare the two.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.