corner corner Rescued books from thrift stores for releasing in the wild

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Rescued books from thrift stores for releasing in the wild

My favorite thrift store here in Sumter sells paperbacks for 20 cents each! wow! And since I have started leaving a box of books each week at the laundromat I decided to combine helping the thrift store, rescuing books and keeping my box of books filled each week. I purchase a bunch of books (including children and young teen books because parents often bring children to the laundromat with them) and read the ones I feel interest me. All of them get registered with bookcrossing and will be used to fill the box the following week. I have never found any book remaining and in fact as I posted in another post here this week someone had left some books of their own which I brought home to register with BC and release to the wild. My husband is reading one of them first :-). So, I thought this was a good idea to pass on and a way to help the thrift stores in our areas make some money and rescue some books for our BC adventures.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
My favorite thrift store here in Sumter sells paperbacks for 20 cents each! wow! And since I have started leaving a box of books each week at the laundromat I decided to combine helping the thrift store, rescuing books and keeping my box of books filled each week. I purchase a bunch of books (including children and young teen books because parents often bring children to the laundromat with them) and read the ones I feel interest me. All of them get registered with bookcrossing and will be used to fill the box the following week. I have never found any book remaining and in fact as I posted in another post here this week someone had left some books of their own which I brought home to register with BC and release to the wild. My husband is reading one of them first :-). So, I thought this was a good idea to pass on and a way to help the thrift stores in our areas make some money and rescue some books for our BC adventures.
Profile Image
(Claps hands) Good and generous (money and time) of you doing this. You might already be doing this, but don't forget to give the books spine labels, in case after people have finished with them they end up back in a secondhand book shop. When I visit secondhand book shops I scan the shelves looking for them. I have found BC books by their spine labels, but it's also possible I missed other BC books because they didn't have spin labels. Unless a book is one I am particularly interested in reading I don't remove it from the shelves to look inside, and I imagine other people would be similar.
Profile Image
(Claps hands) Good and generous (money and time) of you doing this. You might already be doing this, but don't forget to give the books spine labels, in case after people have finished with them they end up back in a secondhand book shop. When I visit secondhand book shops I scan the shelves looking for them. I have found BC books by their spine labels, but it's also possible I missed other BC books because they didn't have spin labels. Unless a book is one I am particularly interested in reading I don't remove it from the shelves to look inside, and I imagine other people would be similar.

hadn't even thought of that! thank you!
Profile Image
I think the Tiny Sticker spine labels from the Supply Store are great! I put one on every book I release. Be warned though that they tend to pop off. I cover each one with clear packing tape to keep it secure.
Profile Image
I work for an international institution and have a table in front of my office with BC-books. The books mostly disappear, some same or next day others after a long period.

Many people leave books there as well, so I have a lot do release before I go on pension in 14 month time :-) Some are in very special languages, but most are books I've read myself in the six language I can read in :-)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.