corner corner Labeling?

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Labeling?

Hello! I plan on releasing many book soon! I can't wait! I'm just not too sure of how to label them the most efficient way, so they will be more likely to be caught! I plan on handwriting a label on the inside of each book, what are some other ways I can label the book so people know what it is?
Thanks for the help!

Complete Thread

Profile Image

Labeling?

Hello! I plan on releasing many book soon! I can't wait! I'm just not too sure of how to label them the most efficient way, so they will be more likely to be caught! I plan on handwriting a label on the inside of each book, what are some other ways I can label the book so people know what it is?
Thanks for the help!
Profile Image
I print a pre-numbered BCID label for most books (free on the site) but I always activate them by filling in the book info before releasing so that I know it is accurate and I have a record of what the book is and where I released it. That label I put on the inside of the front cover.

(Some people don't like the pre-numbered; you can print the same label blank and register the book in the normal way and fill it in yourself if you prefer. I happen to like the pre-numbered, but those are activated by making a Journal Entry, not by Registering.)

Sometimes I use a label from the site instead, such as these that I ordered for International BookCrossing Day: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13205785/ or
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13205794/

I use one of the Officially Official or Slim Stickers found in the Supply Store or a label I print myself on every front cover so that people won't think the book is lost.

And I put a Tiny Sticker from the Supply Store on every spine. I cover these and all the other bookplates and labels with clear packing tape as well to protect them.

(Also the Tiny Stickers tend to pop off if you don't put tape over them, and the ink on my BCID labels tends to run when damp if not protected by tape as I print on an ink jet printer.)

I'm not sure that good labeling can enhance your prospects for getting a catch, but I am sure bad labeling can kill those prospects. I've gotten books before from other BookCrossers that didn't have complete info, or the BCID was hidden several pages in, or the URL for BookCrossing wasn't there, or the BCID wasn't readable, and I can guarantee those would never have been journaled if a non-BookCrosser found them.

Good luck on your releasing. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!!
Profile Image
I use labels and stickers from the store for the basic information and identification, but I also add a personal touch, and I think it really helps the finder realize how special the books are to someone, and that it is not just some advertising gimmick.

For example, hand written sticky notes seem to work better for me. I also like to hand write a little note with the BCID. Something like"Where has this book been? To find out and to add to its story, visit...", or "I hope you enjoyed the book! to find out what its other readers thought,go to...thanks!~MrsPeel"

I have no real evidence if it really helps or not, but I like to think it does :)

Good luck!
Profile Image
I plan on handwriting a label on the inside of each book,

This is a good way to start. Make sure you include the BCID and the site so people know what to do.

what are some other ways I can label the book so people know what it is?

Stick a note on the outside as well so people know it's a free book.
And wrap it in plastic against dew, rain etc.

Good luck with your releases and fingers crossed for your first JE.
Profile Image

RE: Labeling?

I purchase all=purpose white 1 inch by 2.75 inch labels from Staples. These are cheap and you get 128 labels per pack. I then hand write the following on the label, which I stick on the front cover of the book... (if there is a dust cover I stick one on the dust cover and one on the hard cover). ...

Hi, this is a traveling book. Please go to bookcrossing.com and enter BCID _______________________________ so we may track it's journey. Thank you

Simple, cheap and I fill in the labels while watching tv. I register the books and then fill in the BCID.
Profile Image
Please go to bookcrossing.com and register BCID

Except that you DON'T want them to register the book. You already registered it and each book is registered only once, by the original owner. You want them to make a journal entry for BCID ____________. (Hopefully the book will get *many* journal entries.)

If someone doesn't realize that and does what you say and goes to register the book, they wil give it a new number and you'll likely never hear from it again.
Profile Image
Please go to bookcrossing.com and register BCID

Except that you DON'T want them to register the book. You already registered it and each book is registered only once, by the original owner. You want them to make a journal entry for BCID ____________. (Hopefully the book will get *many* journal entries.)

My mistake in typing that... it actually says please got to bookcrossing.com and enter BCID etc etc etc.... sorry for the confusion
Profile Image
...theres lots of different labels - BCID labels, cover notes, etc - you can download or use to get an idea about the sort of wording you prefer.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/358601

& I've had a few catches when I've used this bookband on wild releases :-)

http://grubsneerg.blogspot.co.uk . (first item under assorted BC stuff on the right)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.