corner corner Released 25, but only 2 caught!

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Released 25, but only 2 caught!

Hi all,

I wonder if you could help me with my release technique. I've now made 25 releases (20 wild, 5 controlled.

For the last 3, I've had release bags, so it's been obvious what the books are for, and that they're free to take. For the others, I've tried leaving a mix - with the BookCrossing tag on the front, sometimes just on its own (BookCrossing info on the inside) and some wrapped in clear film (where the weather has been bad). All have Bookcrossing info on the inside in either just my handwriting or printed tags.

I've left them in a variety of places, too. On the London Underground, on benches, on a sofa on a cross-channel ferry, at tourist attractions, in service stations, in hotel receptions and on sunbeds in hot holiday destinations.

However, I've only had 2 'caught' - one on a bench and one on an underground train, both in London.

Do you guys think I'm going wrong somewhere/is there something I could do differently to ensure more catches?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi all,

I wonder if you could help me with my release technique. I've now made 25 releases (20 wild, 5 controlled.

For the last 3, I've had release bags, so it's been obvious what the books are for, and that they're free to take. For the others, I've tried leaving a mix - with the BookCrossing tag on the front, sometimes just on its own (BookCrossing info on the inside) and some wrapped in clear film (where the weather has been bad). All have Bookcrossing info on the inside in either just my handwriting or printed tags.

I've left them in a variety of places, too. On the London Underground, on benches, on a sofa on a cross-channel ferry, at tourist attractions, in service stations, in hotel receptions and on sunbeds in hot holiday destinations.

However, I've only had 2 'caught' - one on a bench and one on an underground train, both in London.

Do you guys think I'm going wrong somewhere/is there something I could do differently to ensure more catches?
Profile Image
is there something I could do differently to ensure more catches?

I don't think there is *anything* that ensures more catches. The whole fun of releasing is never knowing when or where a book you release will catch someone's eye. Of course, you should always make sure your labels are attached well and the BCID legible and ask that the finder makes a journal entry (not that they register the book as that will give it a new number), but even if you do everything right, it is still chance.

I don't think it would be anywhere as near exciting if every book released was caught and journaled right away. I hope that they all find good homes with people who enjoy them, but never knowing when or why I will hear back from which book is what is interesting and exciting. It's serendipity at work.

You may also find that books you have already released will write back after some time has passed. Many people only journal after they have read the books, or when they are ready to give them away.

Good luck!
Profile Image
I am trying to be patient but I guess after people saying 10% or 20% get caught it made me think (despite the fact I am usually quite rational) that when I get to 10 I will "magically" get 1-2 catches to keep up the 10-20% percentage.

Today I released my 10th. So far no catches. When I see books with journalled catches I rarely see more than one on the same book.

It would be great if more people journalled them wouldn't it?
Profile Image
It would be great if more people journalled them wouldn't it?

Yes it would, but no entry does not mean that a person did not enjoy the book.
It's the art of giving that makes Book Crossers happy and an entry is just the cherry on the cake.
I do understand your impatience though, I have been there myself and untill the next JE, I still am.
Profile Image
I am trying to be patient but I guess after people saying 10% or 20% get caught it made me think (despite the fact I am usually quite rational) that when I get to 10 I will "magically" get 1-2 catches to keep up the 10-20% percentage.

Heh! I've seen a few cases of someone getting a catch on their very first - and only - wild release, giving them a whopping 100% catch-rate, and more than once someone's suggested that they simply stop there so the percentage won't go down {wry grin}.

It's not just percentages, of course. Some finders journal books right away, while others wait until they've read the books and only journal months or even years later. And some never journal at all, even if they were wildly enthusiastic about finding a BC book - I overheard someone talking about BookCrossing after picking up a wild release of mine, and they were so pleased that I was sure I'd get home and find a JE, but nope! So I just hope they enjoy the books and that somebody will eventually journal them.

I do recommend following the Site Watch forum; it provides reassurance that people do journal books, and that some books get multiple catches over time, even if this hasn't happened to your own releases yet. Here are some recent posts:

An example of how long it can take for a book to check in:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/520884

A charming entry by very young finders:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/521522

And a multi-hop release of mine:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/521255

Profile Image
Thank you for doing the link to one of my catches Gory! I was very pleased with that one. As you say getting catches is very random and I've had some very lean times as well as getting multiple catches in a very short space of time.
I like to put a sticker on the front of my books stating "I am not lost and I haven't been forgotten" as well as a spine sticker and an inside label. I put the inside label on the reverse of the front page so no-one can just remove a page to remove my label, as has been known in the past.
Profile Image
The percentages for some are higher also because they have local BC clubs or groups and they leave BC books at a central location and while dropping off books will also capture books left by others thus the finds or catches are higher. Try not worry about the percentages or number of books registered as caught and just have fun. Play some of the release challenges, if you don't already, to make releasing books more exciting.

As of today I have released 489 to the wild and 63 controlled for a total of 552 released over the years. Of those only 15 wild releases have been journaled as caughe and 7 of the controlled releases for a whopping 4% of captured books. LOL! But I know they are being caught and I know they are appreciated and passed on and hopefully somewhere along the way others will journal them as the book continue their journey.

It's the fun of knowing they are out there ... :-)
Profile Image
True I am almost 100% sure a couple of them have been caught and hopefully read.

But I am curious as hell as a person which is by BC appeals to me. I want to know where the book goes and who reads it and.....everything

But I know you can't...

I did get a lovely surprise today from one I released yesterday: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13494217/

it's anonymous and doesn't tell me much. But that WAS a book I was sure someone would want to read and I'd have hated for it to go to waste so I am somewhat happy!! :)
Profile Image
Hi Varvara, looks like we're both in little Adelaide ;) - I can see all your releases in the Hunting section.
I'll be doing a drop soon too and talking it up on facebook so hopefully we'll have a bigger community soon xx
Profile Image
Hello to Innleazure and Varava in Adelaide. You should find there is quite an active group in Adelaide who meet up every month and might assure you of a few more catches! You can find out more here (if you are both Facebook users)
https://www.facebook.com/---/295033267352317/?...
Profile Image

adelaide

Hi Megan, I did join the group. And hi innleazure you will see I have accepted your friend request and will watch for your releases :)
Profile Image
Little late to be jumping on the fence here but I've been with this group over three years and have released 30 books (though many more are registered and in a bag in my car so I can drop some off when I get the urge or want to). The majority of my books I release indoors due to weather and most of them disappear from their locales never to be seen again, yet only two books out of the 30 have ever been journaled. I think what happens is the books are caught and kept or passed on to friends and people just don't journal them. So even though I don't hear about many catches I know my books are being taken.

I live in an area that hasn't had a bookcrosser in ages. I think the closest books (other than the ones I've released myself have been released in big cities 2 or 3 hours away from my locale but it doesn't stop me. If I see one of my books no longer in its spot I know someone has picked it up.

When I get a journal entry it's spectacular but I've learned to be just as tickled when I end up back in an area I released a book recently and it's no longer there. Least I know it's on a journey of its own :)
Profile Image
When I get a journal entry it's spectacular but I've learned to be just as tickled when I end up back in an area I released a book recently and it's no longer there. Least I know it's on a journey of its own :)

Great attitude!
Profile Image
well, that's easy to figure out - just subtract caught from released, and hope not too many were just thrown away.....

When I tell people about BookCrossing, they always say it sounds like a cool idea, but hardly anybody ever joins; I guess it's just a certain type of person that joins. Many people seem to feel that it's way too much energy to expend and all that - I mean, look at how many people sign up and then are inactive, or on hiatus for years!

My girlfriend had actually joined BookCrossing before I had did, years before we met, when she found a book somewhere and was intrigued. But she's not active at all - she's only registered a few books, if that many. A few years ago she spent a little time in the forums but not since then, that I'm aware. And if she's interested in a book I have, if she reads it she won't journal it, just gives it back to me; when I ask if she wants to release it, she just says she doesn't want to mess with it.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.