corner corner Free Little Libraries

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Free Little Libraries

What are your experiences with these? I was excited to find one in a town about 30 miles from my house. My kids live in that town, so I am there often.

Although there are several (it seems they are in-active) BCers listed, I don't believe this person is one of them. None of the books are labeled. I have gone three times now, and left bookcrossing books, and taken a couple of theirs. While books from my previous visits are no longer there, I have never received a JE.

If I had one of these, I would be checking it every day to see if someone visited, and if they left books, I would be registering them. Oh well.

Have you tried this and gotten any JE's?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
What are your experiences with these? I was excited to find one in a town about 30 miles from my house. My kids live in that town, so I am there often.

Although there are several (it seems they are in-active) BCers listed, I don't believe this person is one of them. None of the books are labeled. I have gone three times now, and left bookcrossing books, and taken a couple of theirs. While books from my previous visits are no longer there, I have never received a JE.

If I had one of these, I would be checking it every day to see if someone visited, and if they left books, I would be registering them. Oh well.

Profile Image
...so far I don't think I've had any JEs from books I've left there - including one or two LFLs that were explicitly created by BookCrossers, which baffled me a bit! In general it does seem that books left in book-obvious places - OBCZs, LFLs, other book-swap shelves - get fewer JEs than those left in surprising places (perched on statues, suspended from trees, etc.), so perhaps that's part of the reason for the low journal-rate. And while BCers seem to like LFLs, and some have started their own, there's not always a connection between "people who like to share books" and "people who like to track books online". Still, I do plan to leave books in LFLs whenever I can - though I also try to leave a book or two in some random public spot in the same communities, by way of spreading the net, as it were.

Here's a thread in the "Activists" forum with lots of discussion of LFLs, some with spectacular successes regarding happy "customers":

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/471081/

And here's a recent one in the OBCZ Managers forum, about attempts to start an unofficial LFL ("unofficial" in the sense that you only get listed on the Little Free Libraries page if you make a one-time payment; the listing is not required, though):

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/510577/
Profile Image
I just recently (as in a few weeks ago) learned that such a thing as LFL's exist and have found one near me. I've already placed two books in it and another member (whom I learned of this LFL from seeing her releases) has left several. I know that her books have been taken and mine have too. She stopped by it not even 3 days after I left my books there and said the LFL was practically empty. I had dropped my books off that Friday and the thing was overflowing with books, in fact I had to put my two on top of the others and none of hers were there.

I know that our books are being taken but I haven't had any JE's from mine and I don't believe she has either. Still I like the idea of trying them out and plan to drop more off when I'm in the area.

One day I would love to make one of my very own...one day :)

As mentioned above there have been several who have had really good luck with LFL's and a few who have had some not so good experiences. I think it just depends. Try dropping off a few and see what happens. Who knows maybe one day you'll get a JE from one of them :)

Profile Image
I love releasing at LFLs because the books are safe and dry and sure to be found by a book-lover (as opposed to being thrown in the trash or lost and found). I go out of my way to visit them whenever I travel. I have never gotten a journal entry from my releases there.
Profile Image
I have my own Little Free Library and in fact, our city now has over 100 of them!!!

Since we have a pretty active community of BookCrossers, some of my BC friends will journal a book, but other than that, I don't get any journals from those that are not already in my BC circle.

Still, love putting books in there and checking it every day. I do not register books that other people have left there.
Profile Image

I have my own LFL and do check it every day. I am on a relatively quiet street so I get fewer passersby than other LFLs in my city. My big problem is that people tend to leave more books than they take!

I waited a while after starting my LFL before making it into an OBCZ. I love that it is an OBCZ now. I not only release my own BC-registered books, but I also register any books that are donated to my LFL. I find it fun to track the books' travels even if I get very few journal entries. I won't stop trying to encourage others to join BookCrossing and make journal entries.

Just this week I had "the most perfect ever* LFL patron visit my LFL. This visitor...
1. stopped by my LFL and took some books
2. signed the guest book in my LFL
3. logged onto my LFL's Facebook page and left a thank you note and some comments
4. returned another day to my LFL to drop off few new hardcover books and a lovely bookmark
5. joined BookCrossing as a new member
6. made a journal BookCrossing entry on both books that she took

She's more than welcome to return any time!

By the way, when I get good BC journal entries, I post that info to my LFL's Facebook page in an effort to encourage others to also do journal entries. I think that helps somewhat.

https://www.facebook.com/LittleFreeLibrary7720Twinbrook
Profile Image
in 3 different LFL over the past 2 months or so, no JE's.

Just was thinking about, this if anyone bcers had any success at lfl's.
Profile Image
Just was thinking about, this if anyone bcers had any success at lfl's.

I have had some BC journal entries from my own LFL, but, sadly, these are the exception rather than the rule.
Profile Image
I have not had any journals from the books I left at our Free Little Libraries.
Profile Image
Every kind of public bookshelf, be it a large public bookcase on the streets, a rebuilt phonebox, a shelf in some building, an OBCZ, or a little one seems to yield low journal rates. I evaluated several thousand releases at some public bookshelves in Germany recently and found that if I don't count catches by active bookcrossers (who journal everything that has a BCID anyway), journal rates typically range around 1% and not more than 2%. That's only about one tenth of the journal rates for "real" wild releases.

There's a theory that what makes people write JE is less the book but more the experience of finding it. The more surprising it is, the higher the chance that people actually visit the site and write a JE. There's nothing surprising about finding a book in a public bookshelf.

Another theory aims at the fact that in a public bookshelf the idea of book-sharing is not carried by bookcrossing, it's part of the public bookshelf. So bookcrossing is not perceived as a way to make books available for free (which would be positive), but as some catch that comes with the free book unnecessarily (which is negative).

When public bookshelves became popular, most bookcrossers welcome them wholeheartedly. They surely are one good place to put our books into circulation. But for some reason which we probably will never really understand, the are definitely not a place for journal entries. What stays is the hope that our books will be picked up and read, although untraced.
Profile Image
to the one that's closest to me. I released some bc books last weekend--all (or most) of the bc books I had left were still there and the LFL was about half full.

Left about 15 books in there this time..curious to see if anyone takes them out.
Profile Image
It's in a town I pass through on the way to pick up my son from college. I saw it once, and as I drove past thought "is that a....?" then finally this visit I remembered to stop. It was well-stocked, and I took 2 books and left one. Also signed the guestbook. The person inside the house waved to me but didn't come out.

This one is in Strasburg, PA,USA. I couldn't find anything online about it, unfortunately, although it is a registered LFL.
Profile Image
This one is in Strasburg, PA,USA. I couldn't find anything online about it, unfortunately, although it is a registered LFL.

From what I understand there is some sort of fee to get listed on the map. The one that's near me in Stroudsburg, PA is unlisted as well.

My last trip to my local LFL, I found two bookcrossing books (not from me)-no labels on the spine, so I realized it when I got home:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5569345/
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5569343/

Profile Image
From what I understand there is some sort of fee to get listed on the map. The one that's near me in Stroudsburg, PA is unlisted as well.

You can list any LFLs (registered or not), OBCZ, or any other type of public book exchange on LIbraryThing Local. This is a great tool for everyone.

http://www.librarything.com/venue_edit.php

When you do the data entry, be sure to mark these venues "Little Libraries" and check off what kind they are (e.g. LFL, OBCZ, minibieb, etc.). You can choose more than one category.

You can also snap a picture of the ones you've visited and upload it to the website.

Profile Image

Add in the fact that they can't add any more locations to the map, but have a text file that gets updated with new libraries, an unregistered library might in fact be listed on their site just not on the map.

I recently noticed three LFL's in the appendix document that are within walking distance from my home here in Evanston, IL. One of which is 3 blocks away.

Profile Image
I am a steward of a Little Free Library in WI. I just joined BC and am looking forward to putting special books out in the library with the BC label. I have never received any books from a Bookcrosser so maybe I will start something new when I start my BC venture. My library is registered and has the official plaque with my library number on it.
Profile Image

Welcome

I hope you enjoy BookCrossing as much as I do!
Profile Image
I am a steward of a Little Free Library in WI. I just joined BC...

Welcome, Belladella! I hope you have fun with BookCrossing as part of your Little Free Library adventure. I know that I do!
Profile Image
Hi Belladella, Where in WI is your LFL? There are lots of bookcrossers in MN and WI. If you write a post about it on the Community Bullitian Board forum, and/or release a few books in your LFL, I'm sure you'll get others releasing there in no time :)
Profile Image

Hi!

Hello!I moved my store.It's my new LFL address.
Please bring books to my LFL,if you will come to Kobe.

AOKI INBOU
1F Kawagoe Bldg.
2-2-1 Kanotyo,Tyuouku,Kobeshi
Hyogoken Japan 650-0001

#5557 is my charter number
Profile Image
I've found about a half dozen of them (including one on a country road!) just driving around within a couple miles of where I live - and none of these are on their map. There are a couple more on the map in the same vicinity.

I've also noted that none of them are empty, a few are even overflowing.....
Profile Image
We have 3 Free Little Libraries in our town. One is in front of a day care and has mainly children's books. The other one is large and very well maintained with the books nicely on shelves.
Then there is one where I used to release books because it is a convenient place for me . It is very small and usually is a disaster. It is overflowing with books sometimes books are just shoved in there . Sometimes the books are wet because they have fallen out. I try to tidy it and put the books on the little shelves and stack them but today it was an absolute disaster again.
I have decided not to go there anymore to release some books. Too bad.
Profile Image
usually is a disaster. It is overflowing with books sometimes books are just shoved in there . Sometimes the books are wet because they have fallen out.

I've been to one like that. Books were shoved in everywhere and some were ripped or covers had come off. I left a book anyway, but only managed to find room to do that by taking some with me. It surprised me that the owners aren't taking any care of it at all, as it is not far from their house at all, right on the front lawn. If they were interested in books enough to build it, why not care for them?

I haven't been back.
Profile Image
usually is a disaster. It is overflowing with books sometimes books are just shoved in there . Sometimes the books are wet because they have fallen out.

I've been to one like that. Books were shoved in everywhere and some were ripped or covers had come off. I left a book anyway, but only managed to find room to do that by taking some with me. It surprised me that the owners aren't taking any care of it at all, as it is not far from their house at all, right on the front lawn. If they were interested in books enough to build it, why not care for them?

I haven't been back.

Exactly I felt very sad as it is right where they live.If I would have a place to put the books when I take them out I would really clean it out and stack them etc. But there is no place to put them except on the grass, Sometimes when there were not too many I did a clean up but I won't be back there.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.