Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I've never found a 'wild' book :-(

That would really make my day if I did!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
That would really make my day if I did!
Profile Image
Better start checking the Go Hunting pages then! :)
Profile Image
I do! Haha. Unfortunately there are not many (read: no) releases in my area. Book Crossing hasn't really taken off here yet. I am the only registered member in my town!
Profile Image
I do! Haha. Unfortunately there are not many (read: no) releases in my area. Book Crossing hasn't really taken off here yet. I am the only registered member in my town!

I hope you can use some controlled releases for "recruitment" then ;)

(I am planning to do the same)
Profile Image
That's OK. Book Crossing hasn't really taken of where I live either. Not ONE book has been released in my state :( . Hopefully that will change once I get the chance to release a book :).
Profile Image
Not ONE book has been released in my state :( .

Note that the hunting pages only show locations that have had wild releases within the last 30 days; I looked up your location, Puerto Rico, and saw loads of previously-used release zones. (If you check the "view all" box on the go-hunting page you can see all the zones, not just the ones with recent releases.) That may not seem reassuring, but it does mean that there has been a lot of BC activity there, just not within the last month. And if you release a book or three, you may get the attention of other BCers - you never know!
Profile Image
This really helped. Thanks! :)
Profile Image

Me neither.

And yet both my sister and my daughter have!! Someday I am sure it will happen. I do have my release alerts "on" for all the surrounding towns.
Profile Image
Let me know when you do Bascula! * Fingers crossed *
Profile Image
to find several books in the wild and that is without using the hunting pages. I joined book crossing because I found a book. I found a book only two days ago when I was out walking with my sister. It was great because my sister couldn't get her head around the concept of bookcrossing and finding a book made it much easier to explain. I even bought the book back to the UK so that it can really travel. I was staying with my sister in Adelaide, Australia.
Profile Image
Wow that's great! Congratulations on your finds! I think I may be a bit more successful if there were more bookcrossers in my area. I'm working on it but its rather slow to catch on at the moment haha.
Profile Image
This is the wild book that introduced me to BC:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6675004/
Since then I have found several other 'wild' books in the same location, but as I now know that a couple of people occasionally leave books there, I no longer regard the books there as quite as wild. But I regard the first book find as truly a wild find, as I had never heard of BC until then, and didn't know there would be a book there.
I have also found three BC books in second-hand book shelves:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9718026/

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7361085/

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5220775/

And one left by another BCer, headed to the same Geocaching event, so that find was not entirely unexpected, as I guessed she would be releasing books as she went, and I was following a day behind.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12596024/

Check out second-hand book shops, etc. I scan the shelves looking for spin labels. Good luck.
Profile Image
Admit it you were stalking me. I had another catch from the road trip from a book that I left at the cheese place.
Profile Image
Admit it you were stalking me.

Yes, I was a day behind you, stalking you down the road. I knew where you were headed. Physic!
Profile Image
I have also found three BC books in second-hand book shelves:

I just found one today and spent $2.00 to buy it back to re-release it again, since it was mine http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11651148 and it had a free book label on the front so I didn't think anyone else was going to pay money for it at the library used book sale shelf. : )
Profile Image
Oh, and I forgot that I found this one the day before.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9993735

It was still in a bag with the other books I had bought, but I found it and journaled it today.

Profile Image
I just found one today and spent $2.00 to buy it back to re-release it again, since it was mine http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11651148 and it had a free book label on the front so I didn't think anyone else was going to pay money for it at the library used book sale shelf. : )

I would buy back my own book too, if it appeared somewhere like a library sale haha!
Profile Image
Check out second-hand book shops, etc. I scan the shelves looking for spin labels. Good luck.

I always check charity shops but no luck. I read somewhere in the forums that a lot of charity shops like Oxfam will not sell books if they are labelled in any way. After I saw that I think I didn't hold out much hope for the charity shops... But I still look in any case!
Profile Image
The main wild release books I find are world book night books but they don't count do they?
Profile Image
The main wild release books I find are world book night books but they don't count do they?

I don't see why not! [If somebody handed one to you then it isn't a wild release, but if you found it in the wild it should certainly count.]
Profile Image

I don't see why not! [If somebody handed one to you then it isn't a wild release, but if you found it in the wild it should certainly count.]

I've found them in charity shops
Profile Image
I've found them in charity shops

I'd certainly count that as a wild catch!
Profile Image

I've never even found one of those!! Lol.
Profile Image

Yesterday

when I was getting off the train I saw a book (Terry Brooks fantasy novel) left behind on a seat. I asked if anyone had left a book, but no one claimed it. I was so excited, sure that it was a Wild Release. And it was -- sort of. No BCID anywhere, but a handwritten note on one of the blank filler pages at the front "May the reader find joy in another land. Bless you, Patrick. :)" I wish I had noticed Patrick, because he is clearly a BookCrosser at heart, he just has never been introduced to this wacky world.

If that counts as a "wild" book, then it makes 3 for me. I was introduced to BookCrossing when I found 2 wild books at Gettysburg National Military Park. I took one and my sister-in-law took the other. (She has also joined the site -- minibear -- as has her daughter, bludanzer22.)

And, for the record, I think a wild book is a wild book, which includes World Book Night books if found in the wild.
Profile Image
People in this area tend to release their books inside where they work, or to a church bookstore or prison ministry, or Operation Paperback, or via the online swap sites. Only verrrry occasionally is one released to a vague "somewhere in whatever city". So, there's no going hunting, or even accidentally finding one, if you were so inclined.

Don't get me wrong -- those are all valid, worthy releases. But I feel a little wistful that we don't have an active group here that gets together on a regular or even semi-regular basis. And I'd love to know that a book had been released at some familiar spot, & be able to watch the Go Hunting page to see if my friend's book got caught.

So, that leaves just me, releasing my books around my 6-"city" (town) area. Some books have been caught & had a journal entry made, & some few people have even joined, but I don't think they've ever released a single book after that.

Still, I'm happy to release the books when I'm finished with them. And I love that there's that chance, thanks to BookCrossing, to follow them on their travels. It's just that it feels a little lonely out here.

I'm going to keep on releasing my books, tho... Who knows, maybe some day it'll bring in a new active BookCrosser. I can hope, right?

Profile Image
But I feel a little wistful that we don't have an active group here that gets together on a regular or even semi-regular basis.

Same here, shame we live thousands of miles apart or we could make our own little group that gets together regularly haha.
Profile Image
I usually do wild releases but I've never found one either! I release on park benches, in bus shelters, on stations, in hospitals, always when no one is around and the books always 'vanish' but rarely get journalled ...I wonder where they go..kept and read? Thrown away? Eaten by wild dogs...The childrens books I release tend to be the ones that get journalled, so I've started a challenge, realeasing kids books in areas that kids visit. Playgrounds etc...we shall see.
Profile Image
the books always 'vanish' but rarely get journalled ...I wonder where they go...

I just found out today. FINALLY, after EIGHT LONG YEARS, and with over 300 wild releases, I just had my very first instance of a true wild release of mine caught and journaled.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7989230/

The street newspaper vendor evidently scavenges them from the library porch, and takes them across the Bay, and sells them to passersby there. Awesome. Books live. In anonymity, but they live.
Profile Image
the books always 'vanish' but rarely get journalled ...I wonder where they go...

I just found out today. FINALLY, after EIGHT LONG YEARS, and with over 300 wild releases, I just had my very first instance of a true wild release of mine caught and journaled. Books live. In anonymity, but they live.

Oh how cool!! to finally get a catch! Never give up eh!?! I shall keep releasing..
Profile Image
I've searched for other members in my area, there are a few in my village but sadly they haven't been active for a very long time if at all :((

My books always disappear (except for one recently) but I've only had a few journaled - I guess some people just aren't into it but I just can't understand it, I'd be so excited about this sort of thing if I'd never heard of BC and found a book!

I've sent out countless emails and told so many friends about it :(

Profile Image

PS

Congratulations eastbaybookmisr!!
Profile Image
Congratulations eastbaybookmisr!!

Thanks! At this rate, I might get two or three catches this century! :)

Some years ago I found a bunch of wild-released books over a period of months, but all were released from the same person. And I caught only one other wild BC book from another journaler since then. It's a big urban area here, and lots of bookcrossers have come and gone, but most don't stick around beyond a few books or so. I can't imagine why, because BC is so much fun.

We are buried in books. They are super-cheap from the library sale shelf, 25 cent hardcovers and 10 cent paperbacks, and plenty of free ones get dumped on the porch by all sorts of people, as well as library discards. I even have a Little Free Library box in short walking distance from me. So maybe it's just a result of too many riches, as far as books go.
Profile Image
How do you label your books? Do you have enough and are they obvious enough? I label the cover, inside the cover and at the end of the story with labels that have the BC address and the BCID. The spine has a label and I have just started writing the BC address and BCID on the edge of the pages of the closed book; the later to make it near impossible for booksellers to get the book and remove BC information. I started doing that after a personal experience. The main label inside the cover also has information on BC. I leave the book in the wild in a sealed plastic bag marked with BC, and a printed slip of paper inside with BC information.
These are my wild book catch rates:
Released in the wild: 237
Wild releases journalled: 72
Profile Image
How do you label your books? These are my wild book catch rates:
Released in the wild: 237
Wild releases journalled: 72

Those are impressive stats. I think that printed labels might matter a lot. I never use those, and the person whose books that I caught also never used them. She had tens of thousands of wild releases, all hand-written like mine, and very few wild catches.

Shortly after it became only me making a score of catches for her, she just threw in the towel and quit BC completely, in frustration I guess. But she sure held out for a long time until then.

I have thousands of BC books, but I always keep each one unique, I rarely duplicate any books. And few of my releases are shiny new ones yet, so that might make a difference as well. I mostly have released a lot of old paperbacks. I hand write legibly inside the front cover, and also on the top edge.
Profile Image
I thought that might be your problem; lack of labels. Unless people know about BC already they are very unlikely to log their find. They need a label with information about BC. I now buy the (main) labels to support BC, but you could also make and print your own. Spine labels I find are a must too. Using my personal experience, many times I have scanned book shelves looking for BC books, and have found a few this way, but only because they had spine labels. I might have looked at hundreds of BC books, but how would I know if they didn't have spine labels. I can't take all the books off the shelf to check if the books are BC books. If you are happy doing what you do at present that's fine, but if you want your books journalled you need to label them. Minimally an inside label with BC address, BCID and information about BC, plus a spine label. However, if you really want to give yours books a good chance of being journalled the books need more labels than that. Plus it makes it harder for second-hand book sellers to obliterate the information that the book is a BC one. That's why in the last couple of months I have now started to also write the information on side of the closed books pages.
Profile Image
I have now started to also write the information on side of the closed books pages.

I write or stamp on the book's edge, too, but I only do it on the bottom or top edge; I find that writing on the fore-edge distracts me while reading.
Profile Image
Next time I go to write on the side of the book I'll consider your comments.
Profile Image
Yes, it's fun to find a BC book. Continue scanning the shelves for those BC spine labels. I hope you find more.
Profile Image
It wasn't labelled at all, just a BC-ID written in the back. I'll certainly label it up thoroughly before re-releasing. :)

Unfortunately I think many charity shops don't sell on labelled books - it's been discussed on another thread here somewhere.
Profile Image
Unfortunately I think many charity shops don't sell on labelled books - it's been discussed on another thread here somewhere.

Some do, some don't; I've donated some of my own BC books and have seen them on the shelves later, labels intact. I've had a few catches from such releases, too, though the catch-rate seems lower for books left at charity-shops, secondhand bookstores - or even OBCZs - than out in the really-truly-wild! It does seem that some shops have a stricter policy about either removing existing bookplates/labels/personal-ID or about rejecting/discarding such books entirely, while others are quite happy to sell books with whatever markings they happen to have. I try not to worry about that too much, though.
Profile Image
Did you do the Happy Dance? : )
Profile Image
That's a find for you, and a catch for the releaser. Yes, I know, confusing!
Profile Image
Argh, sorry, I did know that really!
Profile Image
I've come across books I've released the same day in a new spot (still in the same skywalk system) as well as ones I've released previously that were released back about where I left them. No new release notes were made for them by anyone else. Didn't take them with me. That is as close as I've come. Would love to truly stumble on one someday.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11390356

as opposed to those I've picked up in charity shops. When I caught the "really" wild book I was smiling for days after!!
Profile Image

me too.

I am bookcrosser living in Japan.I've never found a wild book.
I hear wild release beforehand, and I caught the book.
In Japan, bookcrossing not yet known for many japanese.

My hope is I will find a wild release book in unexpected place.
Profile Image
I've been a member here for little over a year now, even drifted away from it but started back up over the summer dropping off a random book here or there. Yesterday I dropped off my first two books at a Little Free Library I never knew existed until another member posted her release notes, of course her books were gone so someone else took them :)

Anyways I was bummed when I first joined because I hadn't found a book. I was actually drawn here when I was searching for places that purchased or accepted trade in paperbacks. My first official catch was ecstatic and it was in a local paperback trade store called Irvin's. I hadn't been there since the store traded hands and was thrilled when I found a book there. The second catch I had was in the same paperback trade store.

My area has a lot of members listed but very few release, most seem to get released primarily in Philadelphia, which is over a 2 hour drive away for me so I settle for just keeping an eye out.

I've heard that several people have had successful catches at local paperback trade stores, yard sales and second hand stores as well. Just keep holding out hope, you'll stumble upon one when and where you least expect it and once you do you'll be able to share it with us all.

Good luck to you :)
Profile Image
So do i :(!
Good luck to you!
Profile Image
Me neither. But my husband brought me one he found and yesterday, just a week after telling my niece about BookCrossing she texted me with a BCID for me to journal for her. She found it in a Little Free Library.
Profile Image
She found it in a Little Free Library.

Hooray!

BookCrossers who release books in LFLs always complain they get no journal entries from those releases. We have to remedy this situation! :)
Profile Image
and that was in a charity shop in Sheringham, Norfolk. I was so excited! Unfortunately I didn't like the book but it has gone travelling again, although not caught again. I keep looking and I have tried the Go Hunting pages and signed up for release alerts but with no success.
Profile Image
And scan the spines for those all important (don't forget to add them everyone) BC stickers. I have found several BC books doing this. My latest find:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10336637/
Profile Image
despite having release alerts set for all over the place.

The one I found was in a coffee shop in Clear Lake IA, and it was a Louis L'Amour-type western paperback, not my cup of tea, but I wrote the number down so I could journal it as "left in the wild".

I found out later that the guy who left it is a retired librarian from the Twin Cities who has released thousands of books all over the place - I actually met someone who knows him.

Which brings me to the point that in many ways the most fun thing about BookCrossing is the people you meet......

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.