corner corner Looking for the real words for a children's game/rhyme

Forum | << Dutch - Nederlands | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Looking for the real words for a children's game/rhyme

First, my sincerest apologies for posting in English. Thank you for always welcoming me into your forum :)

Many of you know my dad came to the US from Friesland at age 21. He passed away a few years ago, and there are many things I still want to ask him! This is something I'd like for my nieces and nephews.

I'm not sure if this is Dutch or Fries, but I'll try to describe it. It's sort of like "patty cake" in the US. An adult usually holds the hands of a small child or baby and sings the first line while clapping the child's hands together. During the second line, the hands are patting the head.

Don't laugh. I will now attempt to spell using a combination of "American English phonetics" and my made-up perception of the Dutch words, the words as I remember them.

Kloppe sinja hontjes from blay blay blay
Op ja boz-e balletje from day day day

ANY help you have is greatly appreciated. If I also entertained you with my spelling attempts, well, it's good to make people smile :)

Funny story -- when my little sister was a baby, we had her well-trained to do this herself, as soon as anyone started. On her first birthday with cake and frosting all over her hands, one of my brothers started "kloppes", and she ended up with frosting/cake in her hair! Great pictures :)

Ant/Tante

Complete Thread

Profile Image
First, my sincerest apologies for posting in English. Thank you for always welcoming me into your forum :)

Many of you know my dad came to the US from Friesland at age 21. He passed away a few years ago, and there are many things I still want to ask him! This is something I'd like for my nieces and nephews.

I'm not sure if this is Dutch or Fries, but I'll try to describe it. It's sort of like "patty cake" in the US. An adult usually holds the hands of a small child or baby and sings the first line while clapping the child's hands together. During the second line, the hands are patting the head.

Don't laugh. I will now attempt to spell using a combination of "American English phonetics" and my made-up perception of the Dutch words, the words as I remember them.

Kloppe sinja hontjes from blay blay blay
Op ja boz-e balletje from day day day

ANY help you have is greatly appreciated. If I also entertained you with my spelling attempts, well, it's good to make people smile :)

Funny story -- when my little sister was a baby, we had her well-trained to do this herself, as soon as anyone started. On her first birthday with cake and frosting all over her hands, one of my brothers started "kloppes", and she ended up with frosting/cake in her hair! Great pictures :)

Ant/Tante
Profile Image

Great story!!

Here goes:

Klap 'es in je handjes, van blij blij blij
Op je boze bolletje, allebei.
(with both hands on head, and swaying to imitate a ship:)
Zo varen de scheepjes voorbij.
Profile Image
ik heb er wel eens anders gehoord:
handjes op de tafel,
handjes in je zij,
op je boze bolletje: allebei,
nu maken we twee vuistjes: zo stevig als't maar kan,
daar gaan we dan mee trommelen: van je rommele-bommele-bom

(en nog verder, maar nu weet ik het even niet meer)
Profile Image
Yes, I know... but this is how my mother would sing it.
So for me, this will always be the real version!
Profile Image
not by my mother, but it's what I hear my sister-in-law sing to her little ones :-)
Funny to hear your voice before seeing you IRL, Klaartje!
Profile Image

Off course!

but I thought it is fun to see that there are others :-)
Profile Image

Bairn

Kinderen inderdaad. Used in Frysian, North English dialects (Geordie, Yorkshire), but also in Scandinavian languages if my memory serves me well.
Profile Image
i guess the file is just too big.
Profile Image
it's ok though -- now that Klaartje went into the recording studio and posted the link, I have everything I need. Thanks for trying, 1972Galadriel!
Profile Image
Nu ik ken het nog anders (vlaams? Specifiek Belgie?)

Klappen in de handjes, één twee drie
Draaien met de polletjes, tra-la-lie.

Echter weet ik niet, of dit ook nog verdere strofen heeft...
Profile Image
> handjes op de tafel, handjes in je zij,
hands on the table, hands in the sea (wouldn't that be zee)?

> nu maken we twee vuistjes
now we make two fists

>zo stevig als't maar kan,

> daar gaan we dan mee trommelen:

> van je rommele-bommele-bom
from the. . . I'm guessing rommele-bommele-bom is just a fun combination of sounds
Profile Image
> &gt; handjes op de tafel, handjes in je
> zij, hands on the table, hands in the
> sea (wouldn't that be zee)?
zij is your waist.. (did I spell this right?)

nu
> maken we twee vuistjes now we make two
> fists &gt;zo stevig als't maar kan,
> &gt; daar gaan we dan mee trommelen:
> &gt; van je rommele-bommele-bom from
> the. .. I'm guessing rommele-bommele-bom
> is just a fun combination of sounds

You're correct: we drum with our little fists...rum rum rum (just sounds)

Do I make any sense?
Profile Image
yes, you made lots of sense :)

and spelled "waist" correctly! Thanks again
Profile Image
Klap eens in je handjes, blij blij blij
Op je blote bolletje allebei!

It means literally:
klap your hands, happy happy happy
on your bald little head both of them
Profile Image

i was late

now you have it several times ;)

Here you have it on a webpage:

http://www.laukart.de/---/klap.html
Profile Image
And we recognize it too!
Profile Image

:)

Profile Image
as I see words like "handjes", of course that makes perfect sense! I realize it's probably like when people hear words to songs on the radio that aren't really what is being sung :) how silly

OK -- so is this used/sung/played all over the Netherlands, or just in my dad's province?

And thank you thank you for answering me :)
Profile Image
It is in Dutch, and still done all over the country (well, not at every bc-meeting, of course ;-) )
Profile Image
> It is in Dutch, and still done all over
> the country (well, not at every bc-
> meeting, of course; -) )
Profile Image
klap es in je handjes, blij, blij blij,
op je boze bolletje van dei, dei dei.

and if you want variations too:

Twee handjes op de tafel,
twee handjes in de zij.
Twee handjes op de schoudertjes,
op je hoofdje allebei.

OR:

twee handjes in de hoogte,
twee handjes in je zij,
twee handjes op je schouders,
op 't hoofdje allebei.

AND:

Klap eens in je handjes blij, blij, blij
Op het boze bolletje allebei
Twee handjes in de hoogte
Twee handjes in de zij
Zo varen de scheepjes voorbij
Zo varen de scheepjes voorbij.

Just do a websearch on 'twee handjes' and you may find more and more.
Enjoy!
Profile Image

hoogte?

Profile Image

Up high

Profile Image

Hi

Hi i am quite new here, so I didn't know, but I can help you out with the real words ;)

The Rhyme goes like this:

klap eens in je handjes, blij blij blij
Op je boze bolletje allebei!

which means:

clap in your little hands, happy, happy, happy
both on your 'angry' (don't know why, maybe, it means something else in old fashion dutch, naughty or something)bolletje is a sweet word for head.

People still sing it overhere! I used to sing it as well, as little baby ;)

Bye,

Marije
Profile Image
welcome, sjummie, and thanks too!
Profile Image

Hi!

It is a song from over the whole country...small as it is!

There might be real frisian songs, but unfortunately I don't know them.
Profile Image
Time for another song: the Dutch Bookcrossers' Welcome Song!
http://www.nrrdgrrl.nl/---/promos.html#lied
Profile Image
now I'm trying to figure out all the words :)
Profile Image
thanks! I'll go read it now
Profile Image

By the way

I think Klaartje and Erbie deserve wings for that song! We should notify Ron :-)
Profile Image
> I think Klaartje and Erbie deserve wings
> for that song! We should notify Ron :-)
Profile Image
en nog bedankt voor het liedje ;)

Ik ben echt nog aan het studeren hier hoor, maar een echte boekenwurm (altijd al geweest), dus dat komt wel goed! Ik ga nu weer aan mijn saaie scriptie werken, maar vanaf woensdag kan ik weer leuke dingen lezen!
Profile Image
for some reason, my family doesn't know this line:

Zo varen de scheepjes voorbij

do you use the same "tune" as the first two lines I knew?

and is this pronunciation close?

tzo vah-ren deh shke-ep-yes for bye

(Sorry -- I know I butchered that)

Profile Image
But your fonetics are quite good.
It means 'that's how the little ships sail by'.
It's sung slower, to simulate the gentle rocking of a boat.
Profile Image
guess I better plan a trip to Gaast, and get the real tune from my Omke or my Tante :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/25/866094/subj_oooh,-I-cant-wait--:-)
Profile Image
to find out how to pronounce things. I did so, and in reverse my longlost US-relatives did, when we rediscovered each other via internet: we do pronounce our family name in very different ways.

btw for the rhyme and the rhytm, no, they are different, but how could we explain to you how it is done? it is slower, for a start.
anyone have a baby-mp3-compliation or something like that?
Profile Image
actually, I just made a .wav file, so you can hear me singing it! You can download it if you promise not to laugh at me.
http://www.8ung.at/---/bozebolletje.wav
Profile Image
bijna alles gemist omdat het hier zo druk is...
Profile Image
wat leuk! Ik heb nu ook eindelijk een computer die zoiets kan laten horen. Ik kreeg laatst van iemand een filmpje toegestuurd waarop iemand te zien was die een schrijfsel van mij waarderend besprak (bleek later). Ik wist niet dat het een filmpje was, hoorde alleen maar wat onverstaanbaar gebabbel. Nu wil ik ook dat soort dingetjes maken. Nog 'even' uitvinden wat je daarvoor hebben/doen moet.
Profile Image
wat leuk! heb je daar ook een microfoon voor nodig? mijn computer kan wel geluid maken,maar opnemen? kweenie.
Profile Image
zo'n simpel, goedkoop headsetje van koptelefoon met microfoontje. Werkt prima. Verder heb ik een heel gewone computer, een pentium III, met windows '98. Niks exotisch. Kijk eens in programa's => bureau-accessoires => ontspanning => geluidsrecorder, of misschien zit het net ergens anders. Een simpel programmaatje dat geluid opneemt en opslaat als .wav file. Kun je ook gebruiken om je eigen systeemgeluiden te maken, zodat je computer 'goedemorgen' zegt als je hem opstart, of zo iets geks.

Ik kocht dat headsetje eigenlijk om de computer als telefoon te kunnen gebruiken, maar dat is er nog niet van gekomen.
Profile Image
die mag ik, straks, nu zitten we in de zon (even tussendoor forum kijken ipv boterhammen pakken). ik had intussen al door bij welk programma ik moet zijn. en dat zomaar tegen toetsenbord en overige hardware 'test, test' roepen geen zin heeft ;-))
ik hoopte op een verborgen geluidsingang, maar die is er dus niet.
wordt nog vervolgd!
Profile Image

LOL Tante van 9!

I can actually SEE your little sister with her head full of cake :-))
You have probably told before your father was from Friesland, but I totally forgot, how interesting! Did you learn any more Dutch or Frisian?
Profile Image

LOVE my name :)

Owlet, I'm the worst with the language thing. I can understand a lot when it is being spoken to me, but have a hard time formulating my own sentences. It's the worst.

We always wished my dad would have spoken Dutch or Frisian to us growing up (or any one of the other 5 languages he spoke), but when he came to the US, there were so many immigrants who couldn't speak the language that it really bothered him. He didn't want to raise kids with language problems, so he only ever spoke English to us. Of course, now I'm sure he would have done things differently, but I understand why he did what he did.

I just know words and phrases, and I'm sure my spelling is hilarious (although thanks, jgralike, for permission to butcher!). Off the top of my head, and I'm pretty sure all Fries:

mooi
gek
gek in de kop
feetsa (bicycle -- spelling?)
lakker? (do you like it?)
sleepkop
groppe

and of course my favorite, hagelslaag

not exactly the best words around which to build a conversation :)
Profile Image
Great start for a good conversation:
bicycle = fiets
ride a bicycle = fietsen
nice/good = lekker
slaapkop !! very important word

groppe ??? hmm, you mean grapje? joke?

And the hagelslag, whenever will it be supplied by the BX supply store?

Profile Image
As you say, I can understand why your father took his decision. Every decision has it's advantages and disadvantages of course...

You're words look Dutch to me, except for the last one. Here's the correct spelling:

mooi is ok
gek is ok
gek in de kop is ok (insane in the membrane, LOL)
feetsa - fietsen (= to bike or bicycle in plural) or fiets (= one bicycle)
lakker - lekker
sleepkop - slaapkop
groppe - this I don't recognize
hagelslaag - hagelslag, you're favourite word of favourite chocolate? ;-)
Profile Image
I've got cousins in Australia and we're trying to learn them Dutch.... nice to hear them pronounce things just like you wrote them....LOL!
Profile Image
like a little kid, I suppose :) The humbling thing is that I'm a VERY good speller of English, so I have to be willing to sound dumb. You guys are being so nice about it!

> I've got cousins in Australia and we're
> trying to learn them Dutch.... nice to
> hear them pronounce things just like you
> wrote them....LOL!
Profile Image
I know it's on the farm, and it must be yucky, cause no one wants to fall in it. Could it be the thing they feed cows from? OR the thing cow manure goes into? (my Omke has a dairy farm in Gaast).

Here's the new song (ouch, this should be painful)

Susananna popp-e, (insert child's name here) Trientje lie tin a groppe
something goes in here that we always mumble over
and then the last line is something like far from house and home or no one can hear the kid who fell in?
la la la la la huus en here, la la la la eh rop-e

oh dear -- I know a lot less of this one. If I could sing it like Klaartje, that would be better, I suppose
Profile Image
in the rest of the Netherlands we call that a 'greppel'
Profile Image

greppel

that's what i just thought too
doesn't have to be dirty, can be though and generally is
Profile Image
my dad was from a farm, not exactly in Friesland, but in de achterhoek (bit more south, seen from where I live lots further north-east) and he called it a 'grup'. it is a kind of ditch in a stable, used for gathering dung, so I can imagine you would not want to fall in. don't know the 'official' Dutch word. so it may be a word that exists in Fries and Achterhoeks, where they have different versions of the same word (apart from the real Friese woorden, of course, Fries is an official language after all, while all the rest of what's not ABN* is called dialect).

*Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands, which I can speak because my parents came from different parts of the country, and they had to use it to be able to understand each other, and to behave like civilised people, as dialects are still undervalued -and not very practical as only language, in this ever bigger world [or should I say ever smaller?].
Profile Image
here's something that sounds a bit like it:
Suze nane poppe
Berntsje leit yn 'e groppe
Heit en mem sa fier fan hûs
Kin se net beroppe.

and here (http://members.home.nl/mailfrits/kalender/januari.html) another version with the Dutch translation:
Suze Nane Poppe,
Kealtsje leit yn de groppe.
Heit en mem sa fier fan hûs,
Kinne we net beroppe !

Suze naanje baby'tje
Het kalfje ligt in de grup (poep)
Vader en moeder zijn ver van huis
Zij kunnen ons roepen niet horen
Profile Image
and I can hear my dad singing this line!

Heit en mem sa fier fan hûs

He would sing this to all the babies, inserting their names in the right place.

Thanks for finding this! And understanding my spellings :)
Profile Image
Here's an attempt at the English translation by the way:

Suze and the little baby (I think)
The little cow lies in the ditch (or dirt)
Father and mother are far from home
They can't hear our calls
Profile Image
berntsje is a little kid

as Fries and English are related, you can find it in some books, like those of Catherine Cookson, who never uses the word "child", but always 'bearn', or 'barn'(one of them, no english version of her books near the computer atm. to look it up)

> Here's an attempt at the English
> translation by the way:

> Suze and the little baby (I think) The
> little cow lies in the ditch (or dirt)
> Father and mother are far from home They
> can't hear our calls
Profile Image

oh ok

het was trouwens een vertaling van het Nederlands (waar kalfje in stond, waarschijnlijk ook fout dus), omdat ik teveel moeite met het Fries heb. Kan het wel enigszins volgen, maar de eerste zin bijvoorbeeld vind ik al te moeilijk. Wat staat daar nou precies, weet je dat?
Profile Image
That's where the animals do their, you know, in the stables (op de deel) how can I say this in English.....
Profile Image
for a collection (book and/or cd) of Frisian children's songs, but wasn't succesful yet. There are some cd's but they are of modern frisian children's songs, that's nice but probably not what you're looking for. The Frisian Library must know books or files with children's songs in frisian, maybe you could e-mail them. Part of their site is in English: http://www.tresoar.nl/
Profile Image
there is an on-line frisian/english dictionary, but it didn't open. That's what we call (in Dutch) 'iemand blij maken met een dode mus': to make someone happy with a dead sparrow. Sorry if the translation makes it even worse
Profile Image
I appreciate it. I think I WILL contact them -- great gifts for the nieces and nephews.

> there is an on-line frisian/english
> dictionary, but it didn't open. That's
> what we call (in Dutch) 'iemand blij maken
> met een dode mus': to make someone happy
> with a dead sparrow. Sorry if the
> translation makes it even worse
Profile Image
that sells a frysk-english dictionary: http://www.nnbh.com/frtaal.htm#9062735797
It has well-known children's books in frisian: http://www.nnbh.com/frieskin.htm (this is such fun!)
Profile Image
hi antof9! i have a frysian mom (she was born on the island of terschelling)and of course a frysian grandmother and father. i dont speak fries, but my mom does. but i can understand fries when they chitchat (they always do that when they discuss "private" stuff or finances, but after 25 yrs i know what theyre talking about haha).

anyway, there might be a day in the near future when my grandparents will have to move to an ederly home and we will have to clean out the house. ill definitaly ask my mom to save any frysian childrens books (if they have any)!
Profile Image
I know that time could be difficult. It was very hard for my grandmother. Thanks so much for suggesting that!

> anyway, there might be a day in the near
> future when my grandparents will have to
> move to an ederly home and we will have to
> clean out the house. ill definitaly ask my
> mom to save any frysian childrens books
> (if they have any)!
Profile Image
I found an interesting project: gjin Grinzen, de Reis / geen grenzen, de Reis / no borders, the voyage (link: http://www.cepher.nl/indexnl.htm ) A collection of modern Frisian poems translated into Dutch and English, with a CD with recordings of the poems.
Profile Image
powerhouse -- you're fixated! LOL Just teasing! Thanks! I think all my siblings would like a copy of this. I really appreciate you finding it :)

I can't decide if you were up really really early doing that or really really late?! :)
Profile Image
If you like to have it..send me your e-mail adres..I'll zip it ofcourse ;)
Profile Image

mp3

How about this:

http://www.kennisnet.nl/---/kinderliedjes/

all dutch children songs on mp3 it says...

but unfotunately it does not work :( But if you can read notes, it might be useful...
Profile Image

> but unfotunately it does not work: ( But
> if you can read notes, it might be
> useful...
Profile Image
now to find the last two lines :)
Profile Image
And your tune is closer to what I remember than the "professional" one posted earlier. Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much! Dankjewol!

I have to tell you, just hearing your voice makes me happy! You sound EXACTLY like I pictured. Honest :)

I'm gushing, but you totally made my day!

I LOVE Dutch BookCrossers!
Profile Image
Actually, it was easier than I imagined. I just used the 'sound recorder' built into Windows. Now I finally know what it's for ;-)
It feels good to have made somebody's day, and somebody halfway across the globe at that.
The internet, you just gotta love it!
Profile Image
It was HUGE for me :) really. Thanks. . . .from halfway around the globe.
Profile Image

You're welcome

and now, let's all go and download the 'Skype' pc to pc voice chat software, and we'll have a virtual singalong!

;-)

OK, I'm joking... but we could.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.