corner corner Too young for YA content

Forum | << Educators, Librarians and Parents | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Too young for YA content

A friend is looking for books suitable for a child who has high reading ability but is too young for Young Adult books. If anyone can suggest books, especially published in UK that would be great, thanks!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
A friend is looking for books suitable for a child who has high reading ability but is too young for Young Adult books. If anyone can suggest books, especially published in UK that would be great, thanks!
Profile Image
YA fiction is rather simplistic. I am assuming that your friend is trying to stay away from the insipid likes of Twilight and/or The Gossip Girls series. Why not the old classics? The Bronte sisters, Jack London adventure stories, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings?
Profile Image
I'd agree. Some of my favorites include Burnett's The Secret Garden and Kipling's Jungle Books and Just-so Stories. [You could also cross-post in the Book Talk forum. Update: just saw that you already have; never mind!] Does the child have particular likes or dislikes re subject matter?
Profile Image

The Percy Jackson series by Riordon (sp)
Profile Image
The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. 4 books; Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance

http://www.amazon.com/---/ref=sr_1_1?...
Profile Image
She just read The Hobbit and is now starting on the Lord of the Rings series. She is also is reading biographies of great men and women throughout history.
Profile Image
Skulduggery Pleasant (not as highbrow but good fun)

I read Agatha Christie when I was a kid. Probably any of the older less gruesome murder writers are ok

Tamora Pierce

Isobelle Carmody

Garth Nix (especially keys to the kingdom series and the troubletwisters series with sean williams)

Reading children's classics (even though she may have the ability to read adult books) is going to enrich her reading- so E Nesbit, Arthur Ransome, Tove Janson, L M Montgomery,

The neverending story - michael ende

If she wants adult books try Jane austen (my son read Pride and Prejudice around age 11)

Anything by Jackie French

Anything by Justin D'ath, Madeline L'Engle, Philip Pulman, Diana Wynn Jones, Kirsty Murray

The Fairy Books (ie folktales) by Andrew Lang

Real Gorgeous by Kaz Cooke (non fiction but a good one for any girl to read)

OH so so so spoilt for choice. I had good readers when they were young, there are just so many fantastic possibilities out there!
Profile Image
Here the top 5 Books that will help your boy!

Queens of shadows
A Separate Peace
Crown of Midnight
Throne of Glass
Where She Went

http://www.theskilledwriter.com/service.php?...

Profile Image
The works of Pam Munoz Ryan might be just the ticket for this reader! Echo (a story which follows the journey of a harmonica across continents, cultures, and generations), was particularly meaty in size and content without being too scandalous, and The Dreamer (an imaginative look at Pablo Neruda's childhood before becoming the famed poet we all know) was so exceptionally well done that I was moved to tears.

Also, some of E. L. Konigsburg's books--The View From Saturday being my favorite, and also about kids who are advanced academically beyond their years--may appeal.

Candace Fleming writes some lovely nonfiction works on a YA lexile level but that might be appropriate, such as a book about P.T. Barnum, a biography on Amelia Earhart, and one about the Romanovs that really sparked my interest.

One of my favorite authors, Kirsten Miller, wrote a series called Kiki Strike which is more YA in reading level but middle-grade in content, and is one of my favorite series' ever.

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein was a fast-paced intellectual puzzle-solving kind of mystery that might be right on target, and I believe there's a sequel on order.

And then there's a series I can't recommend heartily enough: Chasing Vermeer, The Wright 3, and The Calder Game by Blue Balliet and Brett Helquist are about 3 11-year-olds who solve mysteries tied to famous art (Vermeer) and architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright). The 3rd one takes place in England.
Profile Image

How about:
- Ronia the Robber's Daughter, by Astrid Lindgren
- The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende
- Mathilda, by Roald Dahl
- The Narnia books by C. S. Lewis
- Through a Glass, Darkly, by Jostein Gaarder

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.