corner corner BookCrossing Club - UK Secondary School Letter to Parents

Forum | << Educators, Librarians and Parents | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BookCrossing Club - UK Secondary School Letter to Parents

Here is a copy of the letter my school is sending to parents before students can take part in the BookCrossing Club I am starting:

Dear Parent/Guardian,

I would like to invite your son/daughter to take part in a new reading initiative called BookCrossing. The practice of BookCrossing involves leaving books in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise. The books that are released into the public are given a unique identity via registration to the BookCrossing website and are tagged and labelled with an identification number. As the book is passed from reader to reader it can be tracked. There are places around the world called ‘Official BookCrossing Zones’ where books can be left directly for this scheme. There are official zones in Derby and Nottingham where books can be released, but books can also be left in various public places in the hope of someone finding them.

Having been a member of the scheme for four years, I enjoy passing on my passion for reading through a different medium and hope that your child will too. Participation will require your child to register to the website using an email address and create a user profile – all of which will be done in our first meeting. Please note that members have to be over thirteen years of age to register to the website. Fortnightly meetings will be held for students to discuss the books they have read, contribute to the book review forum and register books to pass on. The school will provide books for your child to read and release so they do not have to use their own.

If child would like to take part in the BookCrossing scheme please return the slip below.

Please feel free to visit the site at http://www.bookcrossing.com/ and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Yours faithfully,

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Here is a copy of the letter my school is sending to parents before students can take part in the BookCrossing Club I am starting:

Dear Parent/Guardian,

I would like to invite your son/daughter to take part in a new reading initiative called BookCrossing. The practice of BookCrossing involves leaving books in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise. The books that are released into the public are given a unique identity via registration to the BookCrossing website and are tagged and labelled with an identification number. As the book is passed from reader to reader it can be tracked. There are places around the world called ‘Official BookCrossing Zones’ where books can be left directly for this scheme. There are official zones in Derby and Nottingham where books can be released, but books can also be left in various public places in the hope of someone finding them.

Having been a member of the scheme for four years, I enjoy passing on my passion for reading through a different medium and hope that your child will too. Participation will require your child to register to the website using an email address and create a user profile – all of which will be done in our first meeting. Please note that members have to be over thirteen years of age to register to the website. Fortnightly meetings will be held for students to discuss the books they have read, contribute to the book review forum and register books to pass on. The school will provide books for your child to read and release so they do not have to use their own.

If child would like to take part in the BookCrossing scheme please return the slip below.

Please feel free to visit the site at http://www.bookcrossing.com and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Yours faithfully,
Profile Image
Hopefully it will raise the profile of BookCrossing in the UK for the next generation. I think the popularity of BookCrossing is, unfortunately, way behind that of our friends in foreign countries. I am a teacher in a secondary school also, but since I am neither the librarian, nor a member of the English department, I don't know if it would be welcomed for me to get involved with something like this at my school. Even though I would love to!!
Profile Image

Good luck

Hope it all goes well for you

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.