corner corner I'm starting a BookCrossing Club at my school...

Forum | << Educators, Librarians and Parents | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I'm starting a BookCrossing Club at my school...

I've had the ok from the headteacher, so I'm now in the process of putting a letter together for parents. When I've done it I'll upload it to here :)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I've had the ok from the headteacher, so I'm now in the process of putting a letter together for parents. When I've done it I'll upload it to here :)
Profile Image
Great, I will follow this with interest. If you would like some books for it please say.

I have released over 400 books at the study centre I work at and although the OBCZ is well used I have not had journal entries.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/723781
Profile Image
I'll keep you posted! Thank you for the offer of books too, I'll get back to you!
Profile Image

You have to be really careful. You can't have kids giving out their home address, or even the school's address.
Profile Image

��

I have many children's books that my daughter has out grown which we would more then happily send. She is excited about this whole thing. Inbox me with details if you want any. And good luck ! 😀😄😄
Profile Image
♥♥♥
Profile Image
The letter has gone to the Headteacher for approval so I'll keep you updated! Thank you for the support!
Profile Image
Here is a copy of the letter that is being sent home to parents before students can participate in the project:

Dear Parent/Guardian,

I would like to invite your son/daughter to take part in a new reading initiative called BookCrossing. The practice of BookCrossing involves leaving books in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise. The books that are released into the public are given a unique identity via registration to the BookCrossing website and are tagged and labelled with an identification number. As the book is passed from reader to reader it can be tracked. There are places around the world called ‘Official BookCrossing Zones’ where books can be left directly for this scheme. There are official zones in Derby and Nottingham where books can be released, but books can also be left in various public places in the hope of someone finding them.

Having been a member of the scheme for four years, I enjoy passing on my passion for reading through a different medium and hope that your child will too. Participation will require your child to register to the website using an email address and create a user profile – all of which will be done in our first meeting. Please note that members have to be over thirteen years of age to register to the website. Fortnightly meetings will be held for students to discuss the books they have read, contribute to the book review forum and register books to pass on. The school will provide books for your child to read and release so they do not have to use their own.

If child would like to take part in the BookCrossing scheme please return the slip below.

Please feel free to visit the site at http://www.bookcrossing.com and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Yours faithfully,
Profile Image
Finally started to carry out BookCrossing officially at school! If anyone has any books they wouldn't mind passing on it'd be greatly appreciated!
Profile Image

Woo hoo!

Even got some staff on board too!
Profile Image

RE: Woo hoo!

Great news. As a matter of interest do you just take the books you have along to the meeting for club members or do you have them on a shelf for the whole school to access?
Profile Image
...I'm just taking them to the meetings for the kids to take and register, release etc. The plan is that we'll have a stand in the school's main reception and the students can maintain it.
Profile Image

Update

The school year is over, so I thought I'd update you all on how my school club has gone!

We've had 8 dedicated students over the year who have regularly attended meetings and taken books to read and pass on. Their parents signed the permission slips to allow them to join the site, as agreed with my headteacher for child protection purposes. They have learnt how to label and register books and are now familiar with the website. They absolutely love it! I've also had staff join as they've popped their heads in my classroom to "see what you're upto", so overall I'm thrilled with the response I've had!

Many thanks to those who sent me books to get this off the ground - it was much appreciated!

Dawn :)
Profile Image

Update

Tomorrow we will be holding our first International BookCrossing Day big book giveaway!
Profile Image

RE: Update

Good luck!
Profile Image
Wonderful!!! Let us know how it goes.
Profile Image
Hi!

We released 56 books today and only 4 were left over at the end of the event! The students have asked if we can have another give away in a few months, so I'll no doubt be asking you generous lot for some more donations! :)
Profile Image
Sounds like an unmitigated success! Very inspiring!
Profile Image
I'm off on maternity for a year. Thank you to everyone who has donated books to my school scheme over the past few years,
Dawn x
Profile Image
I'm off on maternity for a year. Thank you to everyone who has donated books to my school scheme over the past few years,
Dawn x

Congrats. And best of luck!
Profile Image
Thank you! :) x

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.