corner corner Looking for books for EFL teenagers

Forum | << Educators, Librarians and Parents | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Looking for books for EFL teenagers

I teach an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) class to advanced English students, aged about 14-17. We've been discussing possible themes for our class next term. To give you an idea of their level, this term we've had WWII as our theme and will have read
Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laurie Williams
So Far from the Bamboo Grove by Yoko Kawashima Williams
and Under a Wartorn Sky by L.M. Elliott

The themes we're discussing as possible for next term are
the Armenian genocide, maybe
the conflict in Iraq or Afghanistan, or
the Viet Namese war.

The idea is to read fiction on the theme, and then do research on the subject to make presentations and fill in gaps. So if you could suggest any age-appropriate novels on any of those subjects, I'd be very grateful.

I'm also interested in good books of this level on the theme of the Rom (gypsies). In a class a few years ago on that theme we read the Diddakoi and used texts from Jan Yoor's The Gypsies and other non-fiction texts, but a lot of the material I found was too difficult for the kids.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I teach an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) class to advanced English students, aged about 14-17. We've been discussing possible themes for our class next term. To give you an idea of their level, this term we've had WWII as our theme and will have read
Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laurie Williams
So Far from the Bamboo Grove by Yoko Kawashima Williams
and Under a Wartorn Sky by L.M. Elliott

The themes we're discussing as possible for next term are
the Armenian genocide, maybe
the conflict in Iraq or Afghanistan, or
the Viet Namese war.

The idea is to read fiction on the theme, and then do research on the subject to make presentations and fill in gaps. So if you could suggest any age-appropriate novels on any of those subjects, I'd be very grateful.

I'm also interested in good books of this level on the theme of the Rom (gypsies). In a class a few years ago on that theme we read the Diddakoi and used texts from Jan Yoor's The Gypsies and other non-fiction texts, but a lot of the material I found was too difficult for the kids.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.