corner corner Teacher needs copies of Lois Lowry's *Number the Stars* and/or John Hersey's *Hiroshima*

Forum | << Educators, Librarians and Parents | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Teacher needs copies of Lois Lowry's *Number the Stars* and/or John Hersey's *Hiroshima*

I'm a high-school history teacher at an African-American high school in rural Alabama. I need to teach my students as much as possible about World War II to help them pass their high-school history exams. I also have been directed to teach novels as part of my class, even though there is no funding to buy the books.

This puts me in a bit of a bind; I have spent more than a thousand dollars on my classroom this year and have pretty much maxed out on DonorsChoose.org grants.

Are there any BookCrossers out there who'd be willing to send me copies of Lois Lowry's *Number the Stars* or John Hersey's *Hiroshima*? In return, I could promise to make posting responses part of the students' assignments. :)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I'm a high-school history teacher at an African-American high school in rural Alabama. I need to teach my students as much as possible about World War II to help them pass their high-school history exams. I also have been directed to teach novels as part of my class, even though there is no funding to buy the books.

This puts me in a bit of a bind; I have spent more than a thousand dollars on my classroom this year and have pretty much maxed out on DonorsChoose.org grants.

Are there any BookCrossers out there who'd be willing to send me copies of Lois Lowry's *Number the Stars* or John Hersey's *Hiroshima*? In return, I could promise to make posting responses part of the students' assignments. :)
Profile Image
Already have gotten a number of generous responses: thank you so much! Please keep them coming: I have 170 students and need just about as many copies as I can get.
Profile Image
Many thanks to those who are helping: so far, I've collected seven copies each of *Hiroshima* and *Number the Stars*, as well as some promises of copies of *The Book Thief* and *War Horse.* I'm going to post updates to my profile page regularly.

I've replaced my profile photo with a picture of the display I'm making outside the classroom to build anticipation for the project. There are flags for each country from which we're getting contributions, as well as postcards or postcard images for each city. I'll keep adding to the display as more contributions come in!
Profile Image

Update

So far, I've collected seven copies of *Hiroshima,* nine of *Number the Stars,* and one of *The Book Thief*!

If there's a generous bookcrosser out there who sent me a copy of *Number the Stars* via Barnes and Noble, please let me know so I can give you credit.
Profile Image

2/28/12

UPDATE: So far, I've collected ten copies of *Hiroshima,* twelve of *Number the Stars,* and one of *The Book Thief*!

If there's a generous bookcrosser out there who sent me a copy of *Number the Stars* via Barnes and Noble, please let me know so I can give you credit.
Profile Image
UPDATE: So far, I've collected fourteen copies of *Hiroshima,* thirteen of *Number the Stars,* and two of *The Book Thief*!

I've replaced my profile photo with a picture of the display I'm making outside the classroom to build anticipation for the project. There are flags for each country from which we're getting contributions, as well as postcards or postcard images for each city. I'll keep adding to the display as more contributions come in!
Profile Image

Latest update

UPDATE: So far, I've collected twenty copies of *Hiroshima,* nineteen of *Number the Stars,* five of *The Book Thief,* and two of *War Horse*! We've also received a number of other useful books. Thanks so much, everyone--and please keep them coming, if you can.

--If there's a generous bookcrosser out there who sent me a copy of *Number the Stars* via Barnes and Noble, please let me know so I can give you credit.

--I also have received a package containing a copy of *The Book Thief* and three copies of *Number the Stars* from another generous friend: please let me know if it's you so I can thank you and tag you in the journal entry.

Profile Image
Hello, everyone,

Thanks so much for all your help! If you have copies of any of these books, but especially *Number the Stars* and *Hiroshima,* please do keep them coming! I need 20-30 more copies of each to be in good shape for the upcoming novel unit.

Bookcrossers really are good people; I'm very grateful for all that the community already has done!

Sincerely,
Andrea

(afj)
Profile Image
Hello, everyone,

Just posting to the thread to say that I got a copy of *Number the Stars* from Millbury, MA today with no BCID--not sure who sent this beauty my way and would like to thank whomever it was. Please PM me if it's you!

Thanks,
Andrea

(afj)
Profile Image

Update

The numbers are up to 25 copies of *Hiroshima,* 21 of *Number the Stars,* six of *The Book Thief,* and two of *War Horse*, along with many other useful books. Thanks so much, everyone--and please keep them coming if you're able: I'll need to begin the unit soon and still need about twice as many copies as I have.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.