corner corner Reccomendations for my boys?

Forum | << Educators, Librarians and Parents | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Reccomendations for my boys?

I am cross-posting this from the book talk forum as it occurred to me that people here might be more familiar with children's fiction. Two of the Junior Uncruliars are good, but usually reluctant, readers. Recently they have raced through a couple of series but now they don't know what to read next.

Junior Uncruliar No. 1 is 12 and loved Robert Muchamore's Cherub series. No.2 is 11 and thought the Percy Jackson books were fantastic, even better than the film!

If you can suggest something that they might enjoy we would be most grateful.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I am cross-posting this from the book talk forum as it occurred to me that people here might be more familiar with children's fiction. Two of the Junior Uncruliars are good, but usually reluctant, readers. Recently they have raced through a couple of series but now they don't know what to read next.

Junior Uncruliar No. 1 is 12 and loved Robert Muchamore's Cherub series. No.2 is 11 and thought the Percy Jackson books were fantastic, even better than the film!

If you can suggest something that they might enjoy we would be most grateful.
Profile Image
We're all girls at my school, but they often pick books that appeal to both:
Vampirates, Justin Somper; Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer; Spiderwick Chronicles, Tony DiTerlizzi; Young Bond series, Charlie Higson; Robert Muchamore Henderson's Boys series; Hero.com and Villain.net, Andy Briggs; The Museum's Secret (Tom Scatterhorn series) Henry Chancellor; Lionboy, Zizou Corder; Cordelia Funke Inkheart etc; Gleitzman Toad Rage; Anthony Horowitz; Andrew Lane Young Sherlock Holmes; Michael Morpurgo; Maximum Ride series, James Patterson; Only You Can Save Mankind (Johnny Maxwell series) Terry Pratchett; Framed (Traces Book 1) Malcolm Rose; The Indian in the Cupboard - Lynne Reid Banks; Just William - Richmal Crompton; Howl's Moving Castle - Diane Wynne Jones... I hope there are some in there you like - I might have got the ages wrong on some as I'm just whipping through a catalogue listing.
Happy Reading
Profile Image
A few good series are:
Trackers
Skeleton Creek
The Hunger Games
Anything by Eric Walters (Canadian Author) - We All Fall Down
The Outsiders By S.E. Hinton - or anything by her
I am Number Four
Profile Image
Many thanks to everyone who has sent me suggestions either here or by PM. My boys love to get ideas from other adults, for some reason they take those suggestions much more readily than any I might make, even if it for the same book!
Profile Image

hmm...

i would say the series by Tamora Pierce - the first book would be Alanna. They are wonderful for both boys and girls since they are about this girl trying to be a knight, a really nice fantasy. the books are relatively short and manageable and all the books are written in quartets.
also you might try the Arthur-books by Kevin Crossley-Holland. there are 3 and they are really wonderful
if they haven't read the Harry Potter books yet they have the right age to start, and should be able to read them on their own now.
also try finding some of the books by the swedish author Mats Wahl, I'm not sure how many of his books are translated into english but he has a series of crime-novels written for young readers and i think your 12 year old might like them. http://www.amazon.com/---/0374336091 this one is one of them :-)
The golden compass books by Philip Pullmann is also an option

i think that was what i could come up with. if they don't like reading make it fun for them. like make races and stuff - that will increase they're reading speed and they will think it is more fun. Also something like helping them find the right place to read. I was often told to read out loud for my teachers or parents, and was often told to sit at the table, or on the couch in upright position, but when i found out lying on the bed was way better i started reading so much more. Maybe their favorite place to read is on their bed or upside down on the couch... just a thought :-)
Profile Image
How about the Narnia series, ie The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe; Prince Caspian; Voyage of the Dawn Trader etc. Great series and a quick read. There are always the old classics as well like The Hardy Boys, to get away from fantasy.
Profile Image

The Time Riders series by Alex Scarrow

The Enemy and The Dead by Charlie Higson

Alex Rider Series of Books

Hope that helps. xxxx

Profile Image
Personally when I was at that age I loved the Brer Rabbit series of books although memory fails me when I think of the author and then of course there is the old favorites of Treasure Island, Ivanhoe and Robin Hood.
Profile Image
http://www.warriorcats.com/warriorshell.html

Warrior cats. I don't see why they love them so much, but they do.
Profile Image

Guys Read

Not sure if you're still interested (this thread is a little old) but I had to throw the "Guys Read" series by Jon Scieszka into the ring - he and Brett Helquist have created several books of short, high interest stories targeted towards male readers. He has the books separated by theme - thriller, comedy, sports etc. Give them a shot!
Profile Image

Gary Paulson

when I taught that age group the boys loved the Hatchet so much I got the rest of the Paulson books for the classroom library very quickly. They couldn't put them down and at the end of the year I let every student pick a book from our library shelf to keep and needless to say the Paulson books were gone. Of course I taught in the country so all the boys were woodsy/outdoorsy.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.