corner corner Authors and Bookcrossing

Forum | << Site Watch | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Hi - this is my first ever post on the forums. *wave*

I'm a newly-self-published author of a fantasy novel (16th January, and a pile of books are arriving from the POD's printer today!). I have loved Book Crossing since a friend introduced me to it last October. It ties in with my personal philosophy and has provided hours of entertainment, fresh perspectives, and friends - tomorrow is my third "in real life" BX meeting here in Sunnyvale.

I've been fascinated by the concept and have actively looked *forward* to being a Book-Crossing author since day one! I don't think BX detracts from sales; I would tend to think it enhances them. As an author, I'd be *happy* to know that people enjoyed my book and were willing to share it with others... the exposure it brings is probably going to be quite important to me, as other authors in this thread have noted.

Admittedly, I have a different perspective from one whose only source of income is royalties; I will be handling my own sales, for the greater part (online book stores come later, etc etc). But I think that anything that encourages people to read, think and get to know one another has to be a great plus.

Linda Moore (whiteraven13)

http://www.rhaeva.com <-- novel

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 

Profile Image
than in the previouos 10 years. If I read a good book, I buy one to keep and more to give as presents.
Profile Image
I remember Mike Rutherford (Genesis) saying about bootleg tapes a few years back that if someone was given a bootleg they might be tempted to buy the next album.

Most of my favourite authors have been found through my reading of books from charity shops. Now if I see a certain author in a book shop I will home in and possibly buy it.

Second hand books are like word of mouth.
Profile Image
I'm new here, but wanted to put in my two cents worth on the subject of authors and BookCrossing. Years ago, I picked up a copy of a book titled "The Stand" by Stephen King for free at a book exchange. I now own a hard back copy of every book Mr. King has published, and I paid full price for all of them. Need I say more?
Profile Image
I can't find a way to get thru to the People at Bookcrossing.com I've tried 4 or 5 times to enter the site where I Plan to release a book, and each time, it comes back blank ... asking for a Crossing Zone... so this one will just go on its way without a BC ID # bummer
Profile Image
...at the bottom of the page. [If you're having trouble making release notes for a new release location, have you tried scrolling down below the map portion of the new-release-zone screen to where the "add new location" button is? You should be able to add a new location simply by filling in the location name and clicking on that button, without using any of the other fields or the "find on map" buttons or anything. If that's not the problem you were having, feel free to contact support for help, and/or to post a question in the Newbies forum ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1 ); questions are more likely to be noticed there than here!]
Profile Image
Christine Coleman is one of the transita authors who has done a few author talks for bookcrossers. At her Birmingham talk, she had books for sale, then donated those not sold to bookcrossing. (copy is now out on a ring).

Becky
Profile Image
This is such a great creation! I am going to tell the folks at my favorite bookstore about it and I am sure that they will be thrilled about this site and become members themselves! No! The more ways that books are available for people to learn about the gifts of reading the more great books will be written, sold, and read! In this sense using this site is a very good way to express our spirits ! If an author does not like this concept I wonder if I really want to read their work!
Profile Image
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, I think your site can help a person develop a love for books, in the same way that buying books from a charity shop does. Often I will buy a book for 25p which is approximately the price of a postage stamp. Then I will look the author up on the net and develop a real appreciation for his or her work. I first discovered Annie Proulx in this way , and many other authors. I am an aspiring writer and could not possibly afford to buy all the books I need to read at full price . I am also convinced that passing a book onto a friend will develop their love of reading, and in the long run I'm sure they will buy more books from retailers and the writer will benefit in royalties.
So well done for creating the site, good luck for the future.

Tonto
Profile Image
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, I think your site can help a person develop a love for books, in the same way that buying books from a charity shop does. Often I will buy a book for 25p which is approximately the price of a postage stamp. Then I will look the author up on the net and develop a real appreciation for his or her work. I first discovered Annie Proulx in this way , and many other authors. I am an aspiring writer and could not possibly afford to buy all the books I need to read at full price . I am also convinced that passing a book onto a friend will develop their love of reading, and in the long run I'm sure they will buy more books from retailers and the writer will benefit in royalties.
So well done for creating the site, good luck for the future.

Tonto
Profile Image
Welcome to bookcrossing Tonto, now that you've registered it's YOUR site too so thanks for taking time to join and let someone know where their book ended up. May we see many more catches/releases and registrations.
Profile Image
Re Leigh's objections to free books in the wild: As a writer, I am happy to have my books read. no matter how they are acquired - through libraries, lent by friends, or of course bought in a book store. If someone reads and recommends a book to someone else, so much the better - he/she might then look for other titles in bookshops. I think I will release one of my most recent books into the wild today and see what happens. Good Reading!
Profile Image
Hi Ghillieheag, just want to point out that the objections to free books weren't Leigh's. LeighBCD was merely commenting on some media attention bookcrossing.com had received in October. An author called Susan Wittig Albert had made comments about bookcrossing.com negatively affecting book sales and LeighBCD was expressing shock at this.
Profile Image
A Brief Message to Authors Infuriated with BC.com:

---BEGIN Absurd Commentary---
Authors: Imagine, if you will, these three scenarios...

A) I purchase your (new) book as a gift for my mother and give her the book. She likes the book and decides to read more of your writing by purchasing other of your works.

Congratulations. You've received a royalty.

B) I purchase your (new) book to read for myself and to subsequently "release into the wild." Someone picks this book up, likes it, and decides to read more of your writing by purchasing other of your works.

Congratulations. You've received a royalty.

C) I purchase your (new) book to read for myself and to place on my personal bookshelf. My mother, while visiting, is intrigued by the blurb on the back. I grab the book from her hands and hide it for the duration of her visit because sharing good books is apparently frowned upon in author circles. Incensed, she purchases a (new) copy in the airport bookstore on the way home and reads it on the plane.

Congratulations. You've received TWO royalties and my mother doesn't send me a Christmas card.

Now, Author, I suppose you're probably thinking that I did the correct thing in scenario C. However, in the real world inhabited by mere mortals such as myself and, I presume, a fair portion of the BookCrossing.com membership, it's BLOODY WELL STUPID.

I have a modest personal library of around 300 or so books and I regularly loan them out to others. At any given time I have between five and a dozen out and about in my circle of acquaintances being happily read. I do this for two reasons: I find that people tend to enjoy my choice in literature and also, it keeps royalties out of the hands of people like YOU.

Cheers.
---END Absurd Commentary---

That aside, I think that BC.com is doing a wonderful job promoting reading and convincing people to think outside the box. Keep up the good work and don't let the few dissenting opinions break this community. : )

Cheers.

Lord-Aran
Profile Image
These sites may have already been brought up, however, I think the idea behind them should be remembered....

These two sites are telling authors that Bookcrossing is a GOOD way to get their book out there. check it out:

http://www.bigbadbookblog.com/---/big-bad-weekly-tip-bookcrossing/

http://www.bookpr.com/---/book_promotion_by_book_giveawa.html
Profile Image
Besides the good karma earned in spreading the literary word, authors might look at this as a marketing opportunity. Put a book of your own in the swim and give BookCrossing members who are not in the listed location an opportunity to click and buy. This is a terrific site and I'm only too happy to participate. I give books I've read to a local store who sells them for a good cause, anyway; now I just add the BC number and url to the inside cover.
Profile Image
No, a thousand times no ! I have purchased every thing that Berg, Grisham, Rice, Pilcher,Angelou, Amt Tam, etc., etc.,etc
have ever written only because I was given as a gift one of their novels and then waited and haunted book stores till another one arrived to purchase. What I do when I leave a book in the wild is a "Random Act Of Kindness"........sharing the beautiful written words.
Profile Image
i wonder if she hates public libraries for the same reason.?
Profile Image
No - goofy though she is, Susan Wittig isn't alone. Here's the story of my encounter with an anti-bookcrosser:
http://bookcrossing.com/---/13749
Profile Image
Wow! That post was before my time here, so I never saw it. Nice response, anulla!

lml
Profile Image
Sorry, I meant ANNULLA!

lml - the fingers are faster than the brain
Profile Image
"lml - the fingers are faster than the brain "

Had a girlfriend like that once...

Pete, reminiscing
Profile Image
Wadn't me!

lml - and that's not a typo, it's a reference to the song
Profile Image
You've only been here a month? Hard to believe - seems like you've always been part of the bookcrossing community.
Profile Image
Yes - the blazing unstoppable Ladymoonlite joined up a week after I did.

And has moulded herself to the form of the group, wearing it like a garment.

Pete, blanketed
Profile Image
Awww... you have both made my day! I feel so at home here amongst the readers, as if I've found a long-lost family.

lml - with a tear in her eye
Profile Image
I vaguely remember when you first posted that story annulla. At the time I thought 'how truly bizarre'. It's just such an unbalanced reaction from anyone to anything that I think my initial thoughts still stick.
Profile Image
No - goofy though she is, Susan Wittig isn't alone. Here's the story of my encounter with an anti-bookcrosser:

And here's a good link for that.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3463
Profile Image
Deprived of Income? Good grief! People are going to pass books on whether or not you know it! Books are like coins - they change hands, they travel! The beauty of Book Crossing is that you have the feedback on your book that you otherwise would never known!
A.L. Travis
Author of The Pillar of Light (The Legends of Milana Series)
Profile Image
The thing is: the books I release must come from somewhere. As I have never stealen anything, it means that I have bought the book at a book shor of news agent's.

:-D
Profile Image
me too. And if I see a book I like I will buy all the books of the author new.
By chance I discovered this interesting thread and I know i will never buy books by Jessica Adams. lol.
wonder how those writers who were so against BC think now with the new author crossing section added.
Profile Image
I came to this site because I read an article in a portuguese magazine called "Visão". I found it very interesting so I came to see more. I've already signed in and I'm really looking forward to start spreading some books! I'd appreciate some suggestions! There's a portuguese author that I strongly recommend: António Lobo Antunes.
Profile Image
Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy bookcrossing. If you still have the magazine that brought you here, I suggest you send it to Ron Hornbaker, the founder of bookcrossing. He is trying to collect all the articles printed about bookcrossing. If you write to him at ron@bookcrossing.com, he can send you his snail mail address.
Profile Image
I agree. The author you speak of doesn't know the value of sharing his/her work. The idea behind writing something you're proud of isn't solely about making money off the sales of those copies, but the enjoyment a stranger gets reading the said work. The more peple reading, the better for your sales in the future.
The idea behind Bookcrossing is not to steal royalties from authors; but to promote reading!!
It's like the whole controversy now concerning music file sharing on the internet. i heard someone on the CBC relating the laws of file sharing to having a photocopying machine in a library, and I think that's valid. In a library,(any given library),you're surrounded by copyrighted material and there's a photocopy machine in the corner willing and waiting for you to copy pages, either to share for research or pleasure. The same works with internet music sharing. You have something you like and you make copies of it and pass it around.
I remember the days before c.d's, where i'd wait with an audio cassette ready in my ghetto blaster, tuned to a radio station, for my favorite song to be played; press play and record, and make my own mixed tapes of radio stuff for my friends in high school. No one was complaining then...
Anyway, to get your shackles up because a bunch of people are sharing your book and probably enjoying it, without you, the author, making money off of the sales is ridiculous.
Bookcrossing is a godsend, especially for book lovers, such as myself. I just heard about it, signed up right away and sent two books into the wild not two hours ago. Books that I've loved and have multiple copies of. I believe in spreading and sharing the goodness of a book, but god forbid if i'm gonna get rid of a favorite book without securing, at least, one for myself. I'm sure there are thousands of bookcrossers like me out there 'in the wild'. There's no need to worry.
I wish I'd heard about Bookcrossing years ago, when I was travelling...
sincerely
dcb
Profile Image
I agree. The author you speak of doesn't know the value of sharing his/her work. The idea behind writing something you're proud of isn't solely about making money off the sales of those copies, but the enjoyment a stranger gets reading the said work. The more people are reading what you've written, the better for your sales in the future.
The idea behind Bookcrossing is not to steal royalties from authors; but to promote reading!!
It's like the whole controversy now concerning music file sharing on the internet. I heard someone on the CBC relating the laws of file sharing to having a photocopying machine in a library, and I think that's 100% valid. In a library,(any given library),you're surrounded by copyrighted material and there's a photocopy machine in the corner willing and waiting for you to copy pages, either to share for research or pleasure. The same works with internet music sharing. You have something you like and you make copies of it and pass it around.
I remember the days before c.d's, where i'd wait with an audio cassette ready in my ghetto blaster, tuned to a radio station, for my favorite song to be played; press play and record, and make my own mixed tapes of radio stuff for my friends in high school. No one was complaining then...
Anyway, to get your shackles up because a bunch of people are sharing your book and probably enjoying it, without you, the author, making money off of the sales is ridiculous.
Bookcrossing is a godsend, especially for book lovers, such as myself. I just heard about it, signed up right away and sent two books into the wild not two hours ago. Books that I've loved and have multiple copies of. I believe in spreading and sharing the goodness of a book, but god forbid if i'm gonna get rid of a favorite book without securing, at least, one for myself. I'm sure there are thousands of bookcrossers like me out there 'in the wild'. There's no need to worry.
I wish I'd heard about Bookcrossing years ago, when I was travelling...i would have had quite the track record.
sincerely
dcb
Profile Image
You are quite correct. Authors do not get royalties from 2nd-hand books. I feel as you do -- reading a used book by someone often has led me to like the author and go buy something else that they wrote ...
Profile Image
It seems to me that catching a released book would, in my case, just save me the money so I could buy some other book! I know that in our family, we cycle books around, but someone had to buy them to start off with, and this way we all get to read MORE.

And, then, anything that encourages reading is a good thing, for the reader and the book industry. One might just as well complain about the public library!
Profile Image
What a silly goose that author is! It reminds me of all the greedy record labels that shut down the best free music sights. Unbeknownst to them, most of the people I know would find new songs or artists there and BUY the music later. Isn't it exciting to explore options outside the confines of advertising?
The same thing can happen with books. A friend gives you a copy of a book by an author you've never read. You enjoy the book so much you fly to the store and BUY another book by that author. It is bound to be wonderful free advertising for little known authors, unless of course, they are dreadfully dull story-tellers. Maybe that was her fear?
Profile Image
I was thinking about this post tonight, and I wondered (and maybe this point was made already somewhere in this thread) what the author in question thinks of LIBRARIES!?

lml
Profile Image
I don't think the analogy quite works, because Napster was, essentially, unlimited free distribution. And while I always used Napster to locate obscure stuff the record companies didn't care about, I know plenty of people who abused it mercilessly. As a musician myself, I have mixed feelings about music sharing sites, but I do agree that the solution the record labels chose was short-sighted and antagonistic. The file-sharing technology isn't going to go away, it's just going to adapt, so what they need to do is adapt their business practices along with the technology.

Oh, and as a writer, I have *no* qualms whatsoever about BookCrossing. Love it to pieces. :-)
Profile Image
I just have to add my voice to the group. I have quite the library - or used to. Many of my books have also been divided between my two daughters - but I did keep the lions share. Suffice it to say that I could easily have my own library. I love books. I have read books in bookcrossing that I want my own copy of - Fruitbodies is a very good example. I have purchased books for the express purpose of releasing them only to find out that is sometimes very hard to do. That in turn, has resulted in me looking for more books by that author. Or reading a bookcrossing book by a certain author has led to buying other books of the same author.

I find it hard to accept that intelligent publishers, writers feel threatened by Bookcrossing. What about all of the people who get books from libraries??!!!!! Those people are not as prone to 'buying' books at all. When they find an author they like they just get more at the library. Seems to me that bookcrossing encourages reading, interacting, expressing opinions and - buying. Some authors likely have been read far more than they otherwise might have, and who knows perhaps some publishers and writers are making far more money than they otherwise would have... all thanks to Bookcrossers

Relax - read - release.
Profile Image

Author's POV

As an author, I think this is a wonderful idea. People write books to communicate with other people - and Bookcrossing can only help with that.

Also, I appreciate the chance to know readers' thoughts about my work - people who don't have a particular axe to grind.

Thank you bookcrossing. Long may you continue.
Profile Image

the famously ANTI-bookcrossing author, so I thought I've give this thread a bump.
Profile Image
What can I say? I bought a used copy of a Richard Laymon book. Now 3 months later the book is read and I am hooked. The result of that one used book by an author I have never heard of.... I have bought 6 of his books at full price at Barnes and Noble.

What more can be said.
Profile Image
hit men in uk
Profile Image
I've only just read my first Bookcrossing book and I loved it so much that I'm now planning on buying other titles by that author. Bookcrossing can only help authors.
Profile Image
I can't tell you how many hundreds of books I've bought over the years because I read a book by the author through BookCrossing or read about it in the forums.
Profile Image
after reading a review in the Book Talk forum. I had never heard of the author before, so definitely wouldn't have bought it without BookCrossing.

(The book is First to Kill by Andrew Peterson - http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5705649 )
Profile Image
I can't belive someone would be so narrow minded as to say that. If I read a book review that makes it seem like I would enjoy the book, then I'll buy it and see, then I'll try and read other books by that very same author.

Therefore I feel like the free circulation of any book is almost as good as free advertising as word of mouth and the opinions of other avid book fans would influence many of my choices.
Profile Image
Any fool can see that this woman hasn't got her head screwed on properly as she's definitely looking at things from the wrong angle! If she cares so much about people reading her books for free, then why didn't she launch an attack on libraries years ago? It is clear that BC will help sales and increase popularity, as word of mouth is the most effective form of promotion there is. The silly woman has now turned a lot of people against her by her ignorant comments and perhaps if she is so worried about her sales, she should realise that the only thing which will bring her sales down, are the words straight from her mouth!
Profile Image
And are they supposed to be happy living on the street naked and starving?

While it's absurd to say that BC is costing them sales, it's also absurd to say that writers shouldn't want to earn money.

Profile Image
Here Here! As one who has earned the princely sum of $170 Australian since I started writing in 1983 it would be nice to earn some money so that I can at least work part time and not have to do the majority of my writing either at 7.00 a.m or 10 pm at night!
Profile Image
Hey you passed me ... in 20 years of writing around the edges of my busy life, I've earned the luxurious salary of $50CDN.

Yes, we want to be read, but it's nice to be read and paid! ;)
Profile Image
I am an author and I am not a charity so Ron and Bookcrossing can sell product online.
One of the books I helped voluntrily edit for War Child, which benefits child victims of war,
is now out there not helping anyone, any more. One pound sterling of the price is supposed
to go to War Child. You guys are freeloading, never mind the money you are costing me in
lost royalties and on lost Public Lending Right monies (library pay.) If this site loves books
so much, why not promote and review them, and keep your club concept, but sell them
online and give a percentage to War Child? You currently have ten of my books online. If
these change hands to ten people a year, I have just lost 100 sales, and the income to pay
my mortgage which goes with that. I am appalled at people who actually think this site is a good
idea. Stop ripping us off and if you DO find a copy of Girls' Night In/Big Night Out, do me
a favour, give a quid to War Child http://www.warchild.org.uk and then at least give it to a charity
store straight afterwards and stop the Booktrack chain in its tracks. What kind of reality do
you guys inhabit? How would you feel if whatever product YOU produce, or whatever service
YOU offer to the world, was devalued by being shunted into public lavatories, into phone boxes,
or on the back seat of buses? Authors are struggling to survive in the UK as it is, with half of
us earning below the minimum wage per year...BookCrossing is not helping. Get real!
Jessica Adams, author of Single White E-Mail, Tom Dick and Debbie Harry, I'm A Believer,
and editor of the charity series for War Child - Girls' Night In, Girls' Night Out and Big
Night Out.
Profile Image
As I included in my email to you, BC actually has 23 different copies of your titles listed as circulating around the world. This versus the Worldcat search I also quoted, listing 411 titles worldwide, not all of them dispensing the Public Lending Right monies you mention above.

another quote from my email:
"If you were to dig around the site you'd find several groups who are donating books to classrooms in underpriveleged areas, to disaster-torn areas, and to shelters."

Sorry we aren't donating to *your* chosen charity. Don't knock us for having our own favorites.

Marina
Profile Image
i usually buy two -four copies of each book well i had thought of buying yours and now no i will not if you have not noticed some people on this site actually go out and buy several copies of books
Profile Image
assuming ur book is any good word of mouth recomendations & bx recomendations will do ur sales more good than harm provided ur any bloody good that is
Profile Image
assuming ur book is any good word of mouth recomendations & bx recomendations will do ur sales more good than harm provided ur any bloody good that is
Profile Image

Lost sales?

You are quite mistaken.

I am an author, too. Where you see lost sales and lost profits, I see word of mouth advertising, which is the best kind you can get. Every person who reads a crossed book is another person who will tell his or her friends about the author, making those friends more likely to purchase the book. That means new sales that would otherwise not have happened.

Unfortunately, you are thinking too much about short-term gains and not enough about long-term gains. Because of this, many of the people who saw your message will never again buy your books. An author can't afford to alienate a large group of people who read.

I'm surprised you don't know this.
Profile Image
> You are quite mistaken. I am an author,
> too. Where you see lost sales and lost
> profits, I see word of mouth advertising,
> which is the best kind you can get. Every
> person who reads a crossed book is another
> person who will tell his or her friends
> about the author, making those friends
> more likely to purchase the book. That
> means new sales that would otherwise not
> have happened. Unfortunately, you are
> thinking too much about short-term gains
> and not enough about long-term gains.
> Because of this, many of the people who
> saw your message will never again buy your
> books. An author can't afford to alienate
> a large group of people who read. I'm
> surprised you don't know this.

Not only will the people who READ this post not buy her books, but they'll tell other people, who'll tell other people, who'll tell other people...I'm sure she will find her lost sales totalling many more than the 100 she initially feared!
Profile Image
I was recommended here by a friend at an on line book club. I am currently not working. I am a regular at my library. Can I still pass on recommendations here? And if so, what sections do I post in. I will appreciate all of the help. Thanks, BookwormJudy
Profile Image
Welcome to BookCrossing BookwormJudy! We're very happy to have you here. I'm sure you will find many wonderful BookCrossers to answer any questions you may have. They're such a great bunch!

For any discussions about books, we use the Book Talk forum. If you would like to just say "Hi", you can post in "Introduce Yourself" forum. TexasWren has a wonderful site that has an excellent FAQs section. http://www.texaswren.com/ For any questions you may have, the Newbie forum is a great place to get answers.

Knock around a bit and enjoy yourself!

~Bren~
Profile Image
Oh, dear. First - if this is in fact from Jessica Adams, I hope you'll reconsider. As a BCer who has bought many brand-new books (sometimes several copies of each) on the basis of reviews I've read at this site, I'm a potential customer - one who has been put off by your message. If you had mentioned the charities you support and asked - nicely - for people to consider buying new copies OR donating to that charity if they exchange a book of yours, you might have gotten a surprising response...

If this is NOT from Jessica Adams - perhaps from a misguided fan, disgruntled ex-lover, or rival - then cut it out. And will the real Jessica please stand up!
Profile Image
Interesting. According to her website, http://www.jessicaadams.com/index.shtml , only one of her books is published in the U.S., yet some of the copies of her others that are registered on BC are in the U.S. Which means that because of BC she has readership in a country where she's not published. Too bad she can't appreciate that.

(NOTE: there is ANOTHER Jessica C. Adams, also a writer, at http://www.sff.net./---/raanve/ Let's be careful not to confuse them.)
Profile Image
Oh dear. Jessica -if you could only see how much more I've spent on books since joining book crossing I think you'd be changing your tune. I used to hardly ever buy books but now that I'm addicted to book crossing I'm hitting the bookstores whenever my paycheque and schedule allows it.

I know one thing for sure - coming here and ranting like you did won't increase sales. You'll simply end up with a 99,038 member strong boycott.

Best,
j-l-w
Profile Image
Eric Flint runs the Free Library at Baen Books. Baen Publishing actually has posted full books on the internet for folks to read FREE. Then Jim Baen started putting these books, and others, onto computer CDs to be given out free (I have one on my bookshelf, ask me and I'll send you a copy). Here's what Eric has said about free books (applicable to any kind of free including bookcrossing)

"As a practical proposition, the theory behind the Free Library is that, certainly in the long run, it benefits an author to have a certain number of free or cheap titles of theirs readily available to the public. By far the main enemy any author faces, except a handful of ones who are famous to the public at large, is simply obscurity. Even well-known SF authors are only read by a small percentage of the potential SF audience. Most readers, even ones who have heard of the author, simply pass them up.

What the Free Library provides-as do traditional libraries, or simply the old familiar phenomenon of friends lending each other books-is a way for people to investigate a new author for free, before they plunk down any money."

and in another letter (Prime Palaver if you are looking http://www.baen.com/library/ )

{I'm just trying to hit the highlights here for this forum, Eric has REAL NUMBERS on how free books have HELPED his sales and those of other Baen authors.}

"Again, the problem is that a lot of people just can't understand the difference between a real loss and a virtual one. Or, as I've put it elsewhere, they really think you can subtract from zero.

An author only suffers a loss from a sale of a used book if two conditions are true:

First, the used copy was bought instead of a new copy.

Second, the used copy leads to no further sales of that author's books."

AND LATER

"Used books have been around for centuries. And they have always provided authors with the same very valuable function: much like libraries, in a different way, they provide people with a comparatively painless "entry level" way of experimenting with different authors. They are one of the principal means by which an author expands his or her audience. Any author who doesn't understand that is incapable of seeing beyond their nose."

CONCLUDING WITH

"Used books, like free library copies, are simply an investment in the future for authors. That's all. They are not lost sales. They are really sales stored up for the future -- and earning the equivalent of compound interest."
Profile Image
Thank you for posting that wisdom, TM. I don't understand how anybody smart enough to write a book is not smart enough to understand these simple truths.
Profile Image
Exactly! Since joining bookcrossing, I haven't been able to think of other presents to give to my friends and family than... books! In fact, I just bought one as a birthday gift for a friend of mine.
owlet
Profile Image
I wanted to put forth that I have specifically bought quite a number of books based on reviews I found on bookcrossing.com, and the "book talk" forum.

The sheer volume of books I might be interested in 'finding' through BookCrossing are almost always in another city, another state, another country - but the folk at BookCrossing are usually quite talented at reviewing, and when I read those, I'm sorely tempted to buy the books instead - and often do.

There is very little different in the BookCrossing site than in a library, or a used bookstore - except that BookCrossing itself is a very strong "word of mouth" system, far moreso than a library. Think of the potential readership of people that just heard your name for the first time - associated in a forum where you insulted them. Will that prompt them to purchase your book?

Instead, a positive review in the book chat forum, or seeing your title in the "last released" or "last caught" column might have piqued someone's interest, and upon reading the review, they very well might have gone and taken a look in their local bookstore for a title.

I sincerely wish that you'd have taken a better look around, and that you'd read the sections specifically aimed at publishers and authors, but if nothing else, I just wanted to put forth that your opinion of BookCrossing as a place of literary leeches is very far off the mark - I've bought *more* books since I joined BookCrossing, not less.
Profile Image
Jessica - no need to fear me leaving any of your books in the wild. I promise that I won't purchase or read any of them.
Profile Image
*slogging thought 5 pages of postings... Wacking side of head to uncross eyes...*

Wow. Ok, I'm sorley tempted to got to http://www.warchild.org.uk and say "well, due to your spokes person, Jessica Adams, regarding the comments she made on www.bookcrossing.com, (http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/11/58819) I'm unable to contribute to your organization. Unfortunately her contempt for a potential reader of her own works, and a potential contributor to your cause, I can not, in good faith, support her or her causes. At such time Jessica Adams is no longer affiliated with your organization, I would be willing to reconsider my stand on supporting your efforts."

My other thoughts on her and her opinion cant be expressed at this time. Catch me after Easter, when Lent is over.

Fortuantely I'm in the US, and apparently from what I've read in the thread, She's not published here. Yay.

Shen-and I won't ask for them on trade either....
Profile Image
Shen wrote, in part:

"Wow. Ok, I'm sorley tempted to got to http://www.warchild.org.uk and say "well, due to your spokes person, Jessica Adams, regarding the comments she made on www.bookcrossing.com, (http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/11/58819) I'm unable to contribute to your organization. Unfortunately her contempt for a potential reader of her own works, and a potential contributor to your cause, I can not, in good faith, support her or her causes. At such time Jessica Adams is no longer affiliated with your organization, I would be willing to reconsider my stand on supporting your efforts."

WELL SAID, SHEN!

scavok
who thinks that Ms. Adams didn't scroll down far enough on the home page to Ron's essay "Publishers and authors: listen up!"
Profile Image
Here's what I sent, Shen:

"Hello,

I just wanted to contact you to let you know that I heard about your organization for the first time yesterday, and not in a positive way. One of your spokespersons, Jessica Adams, made a positng on http://www.bookcrossing.com which basically insulted everyone present.

The direct link is: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/58819

There are just under 100,000 members at BookCrossing.com, most of which are quite comfortable in using payment methods online, and many of whom I'm sure would have otherwise reacted to your site and program positively. However, after being insulted ("What kind of reality do you guys inhabit?" and "Get real!" among them) I'm no longer even willing to consider your organization without some form of posting on said forum (preferably by Ms. Adams herself) of apology.

If this is the usual method of public relations your organization enjoys, I fear it is in for a short life."
Profile Image
Well said, N8!
Sounds diplomatic in a way, but you still make your point. Well done!
Profile Image
Well put N8an..I hope you'll let us know if you get a reply.
Profile Image
n8, you rock baby.

Shen- wondering why her kids wake up early on Saturday and have to be dragged from bed on schooldays.
Profile Image
Did you guys check out what her profile says is her home? Looks like she needn't worry about being read or released in this country with that attitude.
Profile Image
Let's take up a collection and buy this little harpy a ticket on the Social Clue Bus.
Profile Image
Odd coincidence! I was at a used book sale today, and saw one of her books! I didn't buy it, of course; I'm sure she would have been mortally offended if I had. After all, SHE wouldn't have made a cent on the sale. Perhaps I should have remonstrated with the library and told them that they really should stop having these sales as they are impoverishing all these hard-working authors . . .

mojosmom, who stole the food from the mouths of quite a few writers today
Profile Image
For my friends wedding, they were presented by another friend with the marriage bats (custom printed nerf bats). To her, the bat of "reality". To him, the bat of "obviousness".

maybe we can borrow them.....

Shen--
Profile Image
Great writing, N8an!

scavok
who loves to write letters like that!
Profile Image
This message prompted me to look at my own bookcrossing trading habits. The reason I did that was because I have never - yes, that is correct, never - found a book in the wild. Not many bookcrossers are active in my neck of the woods. So it's not like Jessica Adams books are littering the streets.
Anyway, I was curious - do I really trade books that I would have otherwise bought? The answer is a resounding no! I trade books that I am interested in, for whatever reason - usually because I have read recommendations here. However, I borrow books from friends or the library as an initial investment of time, to see if I like the author. I don't buy books on impulse. I *do* buy multiple copies of books to give as gifts, once I discover that I love them. In fact, I originally checked out the book My Grandfather's Blessings by Rachel Naomi Remen from the library. Discovered I loved it, so I bought it for myself. Then I bought a copy for my mother and one for my best friend - I knew they would *love* this book. And they did! My mother bought three copies to give as gifts, and my best friend bought two! That, I believe, is called word of mouth - or perhaps it is experience. If I hadn't read this book from the library, Remen would have "lost" the sales of eight books! And I know this happens with bookcrossing books as well. I bought Round Ireland with a Fridge for my sister for her b-day. I just know she'll love it! But I heard about it through Bookcrossing.
I know I just repeated what others have written, but I feel strongly, so had to get my two cents in also.
BTW, I also thought, when reading Jessica's message: this author either 1. doesn't know human nature or 2. doesn't know how to write an effective argument, or both. If she is truly tring to use language to persuade us, does she think it is helpful to ask "What kind of a reality do you guys inhabit?" Well, we do have a large community of avid bookreaders-that's part of our reality. Why antagonize us?
Profile Image

Re:...

Wow! What a thread!

Okay, PAY ATTENTION HERE, MS ADAMS AND MS WITTIG ALBERT! I will never purchase or voluntarily read anything either of you have written. Go away now.

To echo what so many other people have said, BC has introduced me to authors previously unknown: e.g. Christopher Moore, Terry Pratchett, Michael Chabon; and renewed my acquaintance with others: e.g. Neil Gaiman, Joan Hess, Patricia Highsmith. Since last August when I joined, and more accurately, since last October when I became an active BC participant, I have purchased NEW an unknown number of books, for myself and for gifts, many as the result of a recommendation or a review from another BookCrosser. Spouse cringes whenever I say I'm going to the B&N right down the street because he knows I'll be lugging at least half a dozen books home with me. But no future purchase will be any book by either of the two authors mentioned above who have made such a**ses of themselves over our little "exercise in karma."

Sheesh. What a world.
Profile Image

Re: Re:...

Don't sugar-coat it, Avanta, tell 'em how you really feel.

'N8an (*grin*)
Profile Image

The sugar-coating will be the sweet magnolia sound of mah Suthu'n drawl, suh.
Profile Image

Ooooh! :) *swoon*

I went to Oklahoma once, and the drawl there had me swooning all the time. There's just *something* about the sleek sexy cadence of that wonderful sound. Ooh ya.

Funny thing was, by the end of two weeks, I was doing it myself. I tend to pick up accents fairly quickly (I moved *a lot* as a kid), but not usually that quickly. Oh my. Yum.

*sigh*

'Nathan (needs to trade in an RCMP guy for a Southern Cowboy, maybe...)
Profile Image

*That* must be why my friend has started spending so much time competing in Gay Rodeo events! ;-)
Profile Image

Gay Rodeo?!

Gay Rodeo? Oh. My. Gosh.

*sigh* They're probably already surrounded by little fan-boy sorts. But wow. What an image! :) I saw the Calgary Stampede twice (once was unluckily the year of that horrible chuckwagon race disaster), but the thought of an *approachable* man in a cowboy hat? Oh my indeed. :)

'Nathan (suddenly thinking southern states)
Profile Image
Until recently it would never have occurred to me that there was such as thing as gay rodeo. Apparently it's quite popular, though, as evidenced by the International Gay Rodeo Association website: http://www.igra.com/.
Profile Image

Re: Gay Rodeo?!

Wow, Clindell, I never would have guessed either.

Sometimes stuff like that makes me very happy - othertimes it feels like we (the royal "We" of gaydom) are moving in the wrong direction with more and more segregation, where it might be better to just point out we're already a part of something... Ugh. I dunno. But the images of gay cowboys certainly does make me think...

'Nathan (ahhh, cowboys)
Profile Image

I went to Oklahoma once, and the drawl there had me swooning all the time
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Umm, Oklahoma? Drawl? I hear twang in that thar Okie aksent, young'un.

Of course, I live in Arkansas, and the twang is even more pronounced here. Whenever I decide to alter my native Californian West Coast tones and actually USE a Southern accent, I adopt one from Mississippi or Georgia.

Ooops...looking around, realizing I'm NOT in Chit-Chat. Sorry. Back on topic now.
Profile Image
Oklahoma has nothing on Virginia, North Carolina, or anyplace else in the real South when it comes to accents. :-)

Amy - who thought drinking a mint julep would be a cool Southern thing to do until she discovered the hard way that it is nothing more than bourbon with a sprig of mint.
Profile Image

War Child

Hi Jessica, I'm someone who has in the past purchased a> your book Single White Email b> am a huge Debbie Harry fan and c> support sponsor and contribute to the charity War Child in various guises so you can imagine my frustration and disappointment when I see this reaction from someone such as yourself and someone linked to my favourite charity. I imagine you are more bothered by the loss of your own royalties than War Childs as you do encourage to people to pass it on to Oxfam (which is 'releasing it in the wild' anyway). I think Ms Adams you sorely misunderstood the whole bookcrossing concept which is a shame but hey you can't win em all. Now when I do get to Australia and manage to clear out my bookshelves what to do with Single White Email, toss it in the trash thereby stopping any word of mouth free advertising extra book sales for you or release to spite you and bump up your sales ... sigh it's a toughie.

Note to bookcrossers, please don't judge a really upbeat worthwhile selfless charity 'War Child' by one of it's disgruntled contributors. War Child get involved with a different style of project each year and I guess Jessica got involved with the Girls Night Out project.

*If these change hands to ten people a year, I have just lost 100 sales* ~ yeah but just imagine how many readers you'll have gained ...
Profile Image
I joined bookcrossing six months ago and the number of books i read during this period has tripled and so has my reading speed. Thanks to BC. Also i am now exposed to many authors and not restricted to try reading different style of writing be it fiction or non-fiction.
I am able to now appreciate the effoft authors put in to produce a book.
One last thing by releasing a book, i realised i fell happy to know that somebody else will read and appreciate the books.

Thanks a lot.

Bhavany aka bevraj@bookcrossing.com
Profile Image
Is anybody a Larry Niven fan? As in "Rainbow Mars"?
I am new here and would like to know...
And I think that article the editor posted about the author lady, that she needs to get a grip, prefibly on something solid...
Profile Image

Re: Larry Niven

> Is anybody a Larry Niven fan?

You'll probably have better luck getting people to notice your question over in Book Talk. Feel free to bring up any authors or specific books you'd like to discuss there, since that's where most people go to look for that kind of thing.

:)
Profile Image

Re: [no subject]

According to your point of view, Jessica, libraries shouldn´t exist and people shouldn´t lend books to another people. I think you haven´t understood anything about bookcrossing.

Anyway, if it helps to make you feel better, I didn't know your name, nor your books till I read your message here. Now, maybe I buy them, but most surely I read them first and I decide wether I'd like to have it or not.

If I would buy books because I like authors, I would never buy yours since you seem to be more interested in royalties than in anything else. But when you write a book, it's noy yours anymore...It spreads everywhere and it has its own life.

If you don't like this kind of things (libraries, bookcrossing,...), PLEASE don't write books anymore. You will feel better than finding your books in a bus.

Regards
Profile Image
I just had a novel published about Antarctica and I am waaaay more interested in having people read my book than I am about making money off of it. Don't get me wrong, I want all the royalties I can get, but that's not what writing is about. It's about expressing yourself, sharing ideas, reaching people, celebrating our humanity, entertaining.
Profile Image
See? Now here's an intelligent writer who knows how to behave. After reading your well-mannered comments, I hastened to your bookshelf to check out your book. Looks good enough to read to me. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to buy new books. This is NOT a hint for you to make a controlled release of the book to me, although I would not object if you did, and of course, would rerelease it here in the Netherlands. Have you considered doing a book ring or book ray with your book? In a book ring, the book goes from reader to reader who have signed up for it, and eventually comes back to you, the original sender. In a book ray, the book just keeps going on and on and on to the outer limits of space, so to speak. A very big welcome then, to you, and a hearty amen to your comments about the point of writing.
Profile Image
Lisasquared, is this the book you wrote? If so, why do you refer to the author in the third person? http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/568363

Just curious ...

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.