corner corner Authors and Bookcrossing

Forum | << Site Watch | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Wow! Good for you! I agree totally that this is a great way to spread ideas. And, unfortunately, many individuals cannot afford books, so what a blessing to them!

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6  

Profile Image
P.S. - Where would I be able to find a copy of *your* book?
Profile Image
i think bookcrossing is an inspiration! if anything its encouraged me to purchase more books as i have found a book, liked it and gone on to buy a book by the same author!! i think the whole concept of sharing a book that is special to you with another individual is magical....
Profile Image

Me

I am in college right now and I want to write books once I graduate. In fact right now I am starting to work on my first book. I think it is crazy for that author to say such things. I want to write so that people will know who I am. I can't wait untill the day comes when I see my books sitting on a shelf in a bookstore (any kind store, Goodwill, used bookstores, etc.). I can only hope that my books will also be read and released by fellow BCers. In fact when I go out and purchase books I never pay full price for them (I guess you could say I am cheap). So I can only hope that this author will change her mind about what she has said.
Profile Image
I'm in publishing. The complaining author seems unaware that one thing guaranteed to sell books is word of mouth. (It worked for Stephen King after he wrote Carrie . . . did it ever!) Too, folks who discover an author they love thru one book will seek out more by that author, no matter whether book #1 was bought, found, stolen, a gift or a library loan. I buy NEW HARDCOVERS of books by several authors I discovered in 2ndhand shops. (I don't just mean J.K. Rowling.) While an author doesn't receive royalties from 2ndhand sales, this is a different problem; appliance mfgrs. don't get royalties when their mixer is resold at Goodwill either. (Not that book = mixer, but you get the idea.) And what about publishers' understandable inability to keep EVERYTHING in print; sometimes it's 2ndhand or zilch. What about folks on limited incomes who buy books and then pay for food and shelter with whatever $$$ is left? This author needs a reality check big-time.
Profile Image
Hallo dorianegray,

Du hast ein Buch in Braunschweig freigelassen und geschrieben, es würde in Riddagshausen an der Schunter liegen. Die Schunter fliesst aber gar nicht durch Riddagshausen, meinst Du vielleicht die Wabe oder die Mittelriede ???
Könntest Du das noch mal präzisieren, bitte. Schönen Tag noch, Laborfee.
Profile Image
I've bought 5 of John Grishams books at retail while biding my time in airports.
Want to know why John Grisham? I captured one of his books in a hotel lobby and couldn't put it down. Prior to 'capturing' Grishams' novel, 'The Rainmaker', in the wild, I seldom read any books. Now I'm continually searching for good mystery/thrillers. I buy them for two reasons now and they are: 1. For my personal enjoyment. 2. For distribution into the BookCrossing Network. Think about it and I'm sure skeptical authors will conclude that BookCrossings enhances one's notoriety and acclaim.....and one's finances as an author.

mjc727 from Deltona, FL USA
Profile Image
Well, if this site is "robbing authors of their rightful royalties", then so is Good Will and the teachers' rooms in my school district. We have 3 shelves of paperbacks that have been bought, read and now up for grabs. Also, the local library in Cumberland, Maine accepts donated paperbacks; patrons can take them WITHOUT checking them out, but rather on the honor system. So, Bookcrossing is not alone. I am wondering if the authors object at other venues for "recyling" books. In conclusion, I blame no one...not for greed....not for exploitation.... I think Bookcrossing RULES.
Profile Image
I feel that Ron Hornbaker is a generous and considerate man. His Bookcrossing. Com is both helpful for readers and authors alike. All the arguments I've heard have merit, depending on one's point of view. But, Ron Hornbaker, has excellent Karma: something that's priceless! All of those of you who so generously donate your books to the cause of world literacy...and understanding; I congratulate you! I know what authors go through trying to establish themselves, and the frustrations they feel. But if it's money that generates the enjoyment, or reason for writing, you're in the wrong business. If you put your heart and soul into a novel, the mere act of having completed the book is satisfaction in itself. So, if everyone wants to Blacklist the novel: Cinderella Liberty: A Novel of America by F. Scott Sinclair--please do so. I've received my reward already: the satisfaction of having written a novel that has exorcised the demons of my psyche. Money is not everything. Readership lost at the price of losing one's integrity, is a novelist's greatest of sin. Novelists must be brutally honest with themselves, and their writing. Or there's no sense being a novelist! Being a true novelist is the highest calling of any writer. Conflict isn't pleasant, but that's what novel writing is all about. Because another author had the guts to speak words of blasphemy for those of us who are unknown, I am willing to have my book blacklisted! Why?! I'm a novelist, and damn proud of it. Whether I'm read or not...doesn't matter. The creative process is my reward. But here's the kicker: I don't agree with Susan Austin in anyway! But I'm willing to give up my profession for her. Why? Because of a great man I've always admired and dedicated my novel to, Thomas Jefferson, who once said:"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Again, Ron Hornbaker, there are not enough appropriate words available in the English language to say how much authors and readers appreciate what you are doing. God bless you! and your lovely supporters, those generous souls who have spent their hard earned money on, or given up...a treasured item: a book, to let someone else dream and enjoy themselves. Thanks to you all.

Sincerely yours,

Blacklisted novelist: F. Scott Sinclair

Blacklisted at:
http://www.dcothai.com/---/cinderella.htm
http://s1.amazon.com/---/Y02Y5991312Y4654667/

The foregoing has been brought to you by the screen name: messenger
Profile Image
i'd lost the URL for bookcrossing -- then a friend said my book had been left in dunkin donuts in december but the donut guy returned it so then it was next freed inside some bank. inna bank! oh boy! hey this is the coolest! (feral book robs bank) i'm so pleased!
Profile Image
Wow! I just stumbled on this discussion. I think that this author knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. The book can be purchased only once, and as another BCer noted, they receive no sales from second hand book sales.

It might be possible that BC actually will increase royalties to an author. Lucky person finds free book; lucky person likes book; lucky person goes to bookstore or website and purchases another title by same author. The lucky person could, of course, also go to the library, but each individual "check out" doesn't put a nickel in the author's pocket.

I, too, have looked at the books registered by other BCers whose tastes are simpatico with mine and have sought out those titles at my local bookstore.

Also, I think that the value of BC goes beyond getting free books. The friendly PMs in response to posts, willingness to be in contact with someone from anywhere simply because they read and participate in BC. Exposure to ideas. I could go on, but I won't. I'm not one to boycott authors, but if I were, I'd take a pass on Susan Wittig Bayles mysteries. In her case, I'm not picking up her books because I just don't read books about the most misguidedly glorified profession, professional extortioner, um, lawyer. Hey, come to think of it, I bet I know why she's griping about BC!
Profile Image
I like finding second hand books in thrift shops, or borrowing from friends. If I like the author, I will go to a book store and ask for more books by that author.
If anything the bookclub helps us find more "favorite authors".
Profile Image
I disagree with the author who was concerned that her income would decrease if people exchanged books or received them FREE through Bookcrossing and its many members.

I am the author of, "IF YOU LOVE ME YOU WILL FOLLOW", and I'm very pleased to know that people can read about my adventures as a child growing up during the Great Depression and World War II. Sure, I'd like to sell books, but more important to me (I really mean it!) is that my message can reach so many readers thanks to the efforts of Bookcrossing.com Thanks for giving me the opportunity to sound off on this.

Fran Girard (a.k.a. EagleOne)
Profile Image
My 2c here...

I hold degrees in creative writing (BA and MFA) and yeah, I'm upset that I'm not published yet. But you know what? I write for the love of writing. I write for the love of the characters I create and the situations I put them in and the details I can create and the words that I make them say until the magic day when they talk back to me, tell me to shut up, and take over the book.

If you're in writing for the royalties or money, you're in the wrong field. Go try magazine journalism.

As someone who has often dabbled in the music industry, from college radio to record stores to my current fun as the head of the unofficial Metallica convention in San Francisco, I know how important buzz is. And as someone who has looked at the book industry and wondered how to get buzz going in such a stodgy place, I think BookCrossing is the best thing since my refrigerator with the ice and water dispensers in the door.

When people talk about a book, you can't HELP but notice. I have books that I've traded for that I have asked for simply because everyone's reading them and talking about them. You can see Memoirs of a Geisha snapped up in seconds only so many times before you want to read it yourself.

This place has exposed me to new writers, many of whom have written books that yeah, I'll pick up in my next Amazon run. I've read stuff that I thought was too generic and pulpy for me - and loved it. I've read stuff that I thought I'd hate, but wound up loving.

It's about the experience of reading. It's about the excitement of a good book.

And one day, when I get published at long last, look for me to be coming up with some sort of way to get my fellow BookCrossers involved in my fictional world.

Because it's not about the money. It's about the story. It's about seeing people excited about the story, whether it be mine or someone else's.
Profile Image
I heard that about 70% of the books people buy are not really read, which means that most books serve as gifts and decoracion, mayby also isolation of walls. So I think that there is always enough business! Real interest in reading and possession are two different things!
Profile Image
I find that since becoming active in Bookcrossing a few months ago, I am spending more money on books now then I ever have! Typically, I choose to search for fabulous (RECYCLED) deals from my locally-owned/operated used booksellers, but sometimes when I just have to have a specific title I've seen on bookcrossing, I'll order it off the bookcrossing links provided.

I would have to state that Bookcrossing is a good thing for writers and publishers because WE Bookcrossers are the very same consumers who buy your books. As one of my favorite authors would tell you, Dr. Wayne Dyer frequently shares his experience about being a newly published author trying to sell his unmovable books when he discovered by chance that the more he gave his books away for free, the more the book's sales increased. Word of mouth works in these circles...so my humble suggestion to all the authors & publishers checking in here: Donate a small lot of the books you want to move to Bookcrossing and see what amazing things start to happen.

PEACE
Profile Image
I find that since becoming active in Bookcrossing a few months ago, I am spending more money on books now then I ever have! Typically, I choose to search for fabulous (RECYCLED) deals from my locally-owned/operated used booksellers, but sometimes when I just have to have a specific title I've seen on bookcrossing, I'll order it off the bookcrossing links provided.

I would have to state that Bookcrossing is a good thing for writers and publishers because WE Bookcrossers are the very same consumers who buy your books. As one of my favorite authors would tell you, Dr. Wayne Dyer frequently shares his experience about being a newly published author trying to sell his unmovable books when he discovered by chance that the more he gave his books away for free, the more the book's sales increased. Word of mouth works in these circles...so my humble suggestion to all the authors & publishers checking in here: Donate a small lot of the books you want to move to Bookcrossing and see what amazing things start to happen.
PEACE
Profile Image
"I find that since becoming active in Bookcrossing a few months ago, I am spending more money on books now then I ever have!"

You are SO right!

"Word of mouth works in these circles...so my humble suggestion to all the authors & publishers checking in here: Donate a small lot of the books you want to move to Bookcrossing and see what amazing things start to happen."

Right on the mark!

Well written post, pulpmode!

scavok
who loves this quote: "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." (Erasmus) :-)
Profile Image
Absolutely not.

It's one thing to go out of your way not to pay for services (ie. authors and artists) ever, but just like big business the idea that every potential avenue of use should be considered a "inalienable right as a revenue stream" is greedy ... and stupid. This "thinking" squelches not only diversity of experience/situation but also the potential for unexpected benefits.

When will people stop being so short-sighted.
Profile Image
This is an incredibly long thread, and will probably run and run.

To repeat something I said before on another forum: I read recently that sales of newly-published books drop off drastically after 6 months, and I know that my favourite s/h bookshop has many recent novels in its 50p box, so to my mind they are practically being given away already.

For new authors bookcrossing is wonderful - not all are expensively promoted by their publishers and to have their books visible on this site can only do them good in the long run.
Profile Image
"my favourite s/h bookshop has many recent novels in its 50p box"

On the secondhand market, recent fiction is hardly worth selling. It might get published with a hefty pricetag, but what happens is that people read the book and a few days, weeks, months or years later decide it's not a keeper and pack up a box with all the other similar and try to make a few bucks off the local secondhand bookdealer.

Usually by this time the book has been out for a while in paperback and the market for new buyers has been satisfied. A lot of people have read the book in libraries. So there aren't as many people wanting to read it as there was.

The poor old bookdealer is faced with a lot of people wanting to sell a book that few will buy. Of course the value goes down. It's a matter of supply and demand.

So some recent fiction paperback novels turn out to be worth only a few cents, despite the original buyer paying many, many times that when new.

In my line of business especially, there isn't much profit in selling recent paperback fiction. If I bought all available to me, even at a few cents each, and tried to sell it at my minimum price of $US2, I'd go broke. I don't even have the luxury of a bargain bin out the front of the shop, because I don't have a shop.

BookCrossing is my bargain bin.

Pete, online bookseller trying not to go broke
Profile Image
Producers of everything from cars and coffee makers to art and books only earn revenue on the first sale. Resale markets exist for all sorts of products, including books. Once read, "used" books can be pitched, pulped, sold at garage sales, to used book dealers, or donated by the owner. Bookcrossing.com simply offers a delightful way of giving the thing a second life. If I really want to read book 'X' or author "y" I'll go out and buy the book, because the odds of finding that particular book or author at a crossing zone are essentially zero. But the serendipity of finding a book or knowing that someone has found the book I left is a delightful and marvelous feeling.
Profile Image
But the
> serendipity of finding a book or knowing
> that someone has found the book I left is
> a delightful and marvelous feeling.

Thats it in a nutshell for me. I have a lot of books, primarily sci fi, cause thats what I like, and bookcrossing is a neat way for me to share that passion with other people. And I like the feeling of knowing that my book found its way into the hands of someone who perhaps read it, or gave it to someone they know who would. I just bought some bookplates and cover sticky notes to get my catch rate up since the two books I've released thus far have not been caught. But sharing books this way is wonderful, and I know it can promote sales because when I visit the book crossing site and see the books that have been released in different places, you've got those book seller links right there, cuz the book may look interesting to read, but the chances of me picking it up in a crossing zone are probably nil, so if I want it, I gotta buy it. Book crossing is cool, and I'm going to add a link to them on my war blog at http://www.mybottomline.blogspot.com.
Profile Image
I say it helps book sales because I have been known to get hooked on a certain author, who I found through finding one of their books, and then go out an buy more by the same author. If I hadn't found the book, I may never have become hooked. Some authors are just short sighted.
Profile Image
Writinreader. I asked her about that one time if she felt like BC hurts a writers income. She said "Definitely Not" she then told me that she sees it as a wonderful way for a writer to get their name out there and help people to become aware of their work.
Profile Image
Hello!

My friend has recently set up a new message board. It's not connected with Bookcrossing exactly but we're both bookcrossers so I hope no-one minds me hi-jacking this briefly to make my request. It's good but so far only 3 of us are regularly using it and it needs a little boost.

So if anyone's bored or just likes talking rubbish come and join us and chat about whatever you fancy (maybe recommend some good books etc)...go on, it'll cheer him up!

Please come and visit us at:

http://s8.invisionfree.com/---/index.php?...

...and if you like what you see then please feel free to spread the word - the more the merrier!

Thanks.

Monsta
Profile Image
BookCrossing and "The Thumbtwiddler" book.
I am happy my book is registered at BookCrossing. This children's picture book NEEDS more exposure.... having been out for only a few months. Thanks to BookCrossing !!
James W Scott
"The Thumbtwiddlers of Twiddlewickham"
Profile Image
good luck !
Profile Image
BookCrossing and "The Thumbtwiddler" book.
I am happy my book is registered at BookCrossing. This children's picture book NEEDS more exposure.... having been out for only a few months. Thanks to BookCrossing !!
James W Scott
"The Thumbtwiddlers of Twiddlewickham"
Profile Image
As a new publisher (Est. 2003), with some fascinating titles to share, EcceNova Editions were thrilled to discover your site today...In the hour since, we have linked to this site, registered 3 titles, and will be releasing our first tomorrow!

We love books, and the knowledge they contain, and believe in sharing what we can. We have no qualms about losing potential sales. If the book is enjoyed, and the word is passed on, it's advertising we couldn't pay for! The point is sharing knowledge...that lies at the root of our philosophy. If we could do it all for free, we would! :-)

If you want to learn more about us and our new 'library of knowledge', please visit us at http://www.eccenova.com.
Profile Image
As a new publisher (Est. 2003), with some fascinating titles to share, EcceNova Editions was thrilled to discover your site today...In the hour since, we have linked to this site, registered 3 titles, and will be releasing our first tomorrow!

We love books, and the knowledge they contain, and believe in sharing what we can. We have no qualms about losing potential sales. If the book is enjoyed, and the word is passed on, it's advertising we couldn't pay for! The point is sharing knowledge...that lies at the root of our philosophy. If we could do it all for free, we would! :-)

If you want to learn more about us and our new 'library of knowledge', please visit us at http://www.eccenova.com.
Profile Image
for a publisher to try to stop people doing book crossing
It woudl be the same as trying to stop you lending books, or talking about them
On balance BC probably increases sales, if anything,
(i) a book in circulation may spark off new interest in another reader, whereas this woudl not happen if the book is just sitting on someon'es shelf.
(ii) the web chat may introduce new readers to authors they havn't tried before
Profile Image
I am bored today (and sunburned from the weekend, and trying to stay calm and not itchy), so I just took a quick tour through my bookshelf.

I'm the number two bookcrosser in Canada (and not even half-way there to becoming a veiled threat on the horizon to #1, but I digress...) I have over 1100 books on my shelf, and prior to joining BookCrossing, I probably had 900 of 'em (which might be too conservative an estimate, but I think I've bought 200 since last October...)

I noted, however, the following.

Books I have passed on to other people, or released into the wild and were caught & journalled: 96.

Books I have purchased for myself to read and enjoy due to BookCrossing (whether it be another member reccomending the item, or a review in the form of a journal entry, or discussion on a forum): 16. Sixteen new books/authors I'd not even heard of - and me working at a bookstore and able to see new stuff on a daily basis - now purchased thanks to BookCrossing.

Books I have purchased, specifically to release, due to BookCrossing: 29. Yep, books I have paid for, just for the pleasure of most likely about 3 of them being journalled. But they're paid for - and almost always duplicates of books I already bought once and read myself.

So, out of about 200 purchases, BookCrossing has influenced me into making 45 of them. That's 22.5% of the books I've bought since October, to play with lies, damned lies, and statistics.

This of course, doesn't include books that I'm sure I wouldn't have otherwise bought, but had heard of, that when combined with the idea of releasing them, made it tempting enough to purchase them.

Nor does it include how many I've read through BookCrossing, and then reccomended to customers in my bookstore. Or that I've heard about in BookCrossing, and shared what I heard to a customer in the bookstore, and they purchased.

Just a thought.

'Nathan (making cents)
Profile Image
Terrific stats, N8an - and a great testimonial to BookCrossing's wallet-draining power - er, I mean, ability to sell books! {grin}

I am in awe that you could dig that out of the 1100-odd books on your shelf within a day, though. I've been wanting to do some statistical fun&games on my books and find that digging through my mere 500-registered books is time-consuming enough, never mind doubling it. [Yes, this was just an excuse to say "I've registered 500 books" - even though I had to sneak a couple dozen unread books in there to make it by the deadline I'd set myself. So now I have to go read them so I can rate and review and release them... Good thing I don't have a job!]

Oh, hey, that's another statistic, isn't it - "books I purchased so I could register a nice round number on BC". [But I'm not addicted...]
Profile Image
Heh. You should have seen me when I realized I was near 1000. ;)

Now I just need to read and read and read and then release. ;) Also, to take a deep deep breath and release all those game books. *twitch*. 2nd Edition AD&D is over. The books should go. And Rifts books. And Heroes Unlimited books. And Paladium. And Vampire. And... *sigh* I need to pass those books on to younger geeks (and thereby reclaim shelf-space for 3rd edition, of course!).

'Nathan (geek^3)
Profile Image
A stinky yet helpful home remedy for sunburns- put vinegar on it. It will help it cool & prevent it from peeling if it is really bad.
Profile Image
Im not peeling, but thank you. I might just try that if the stinging keeps up.

I'm very (very) fair, and I was only outside for less than a half-hour or so that day, but still. Lobsterflesh. I even had sunblock on. Alas.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should become a capboy. It's usually just my scalp/forehead/nose that burn so badly, though I'm quite a redneck as well.

'Nathan (just a spoonfull of vinnegar...)
Profile Image
I vote for the cap. I'm fair too & have taken to wearing a baseball cap whenever I walk my dog. I had to because an Asian lady who walks there too used to yell at me for not wearing a hat. Now she doesn't complain & I find that it actually helps & saves my eyes too.

Funny, you don't really seem like a redneck to me. (I grew up in the South; I couldn't resist.)
Profile Image

I agree

I agree with you. I would rather my books be read than thrown away. If I was an author I would still feel this way. I used to give my books away and even still do but now I would rather watch them travel LOL. I also borrow from the library and then If I really like an author I may buy more of their books. I also like to go hunting for a new author and when I find one I really like I try to encourage others to read the work. If I own It I will often loan it. But if I don't guess where they tend to go? To the local library. Well the author does not get a royalty on a re-read book. And trust me a lot of the books at the library are read many times over.
Cinann
Profile Image
For me, BC has been a resource for discovering new books and authors. Over the past couple of months I've been a member, I've compiled a list of books which I would like to read at some point in the future. Ninety-five percent of the books I have read have been purchased as new, four percent I have borrowed from friends and one percent purchased at used book stores. I have not "found" any books in the wild but would like to as a part of the BC adventure. Books I have released are hopefully going to people who will get some enjoyment from them...perhaps reading something they would not have chosen for themselves. I feel BC provides an author a more varied audience. If they hadn't been released to the wild they would have been sold in a garage sale or given to a local charity. When I do read a book I really enjoyed, there is little chance that I would release or lend it to anyone because they are true treasures in my home. That is when I will purchase my second or third copy to give as gifts to the people I care about.
Profile Image
I certainly do NOT think this site is robbing authors of their royalties. I'm an author, with a new book just released, and I am GLAD that my book is listed in here. In fact, I listed it myself. I donated a copy to the library as soon as it was released. I gave some away as gifts as well. There are a few ways to look at this: You can fret over a small bit of lost revenue, or you can be grateful that people like your work enough to want to talk about it, and spare it. The latter is more important to me than the royalties.

This reminds me of an author I know (who shall remain nameless :) ) who has the audacity to charge additional money for an autograph when people buy her books, at booksignings. Please! If you write for the love of writing, you don't worry about the small change.
Profile Image
I've given this some more thought since my last post. One of the ways I spend (waste?) time on this site is looking up books by authors I like, and reading other people's reviews of them. When I read a book and register it, I often check to see who else has registered that book and what they thought of it.

It often surprises me when I am the first to register a book by a particular author. That makes me doubly glad I registered the book, so there will be a record of it on this site.

And if I were a (published) author, I would be miffed if none of my books were registered on here.

And the reverse is, even those authors who sell millions of books, only have at most 100 or so copies of any given book. What's 100 copies when you've sold 100,000? Not significant, really.
Profile Image

You're right

I believe in the old adage that "what goes around, comes around." I'm an author myself with a book called Sissy!(ISBN #0974515922)and I'm finding more joy in meeting people and hearing that they've read my book than any revenue I make from the sale. When you boil it down, in the long run, maybe we as authors have put in an idea in a reader's head long after we are resting in our graves. Sure, I'd like to make enough money to break-even on my costs of producing my book, but I really wrote Sissy! because I felt I really had something to say. In fact, if you check my website (www.sissynovel.com) you'll find a lot of free information that I want to share with others, even if they never buy my book.
Profile Image
A suggestion for you, tommach. Why not include your website in your profile? There's a field [home page] specifically for that purpose.

(PS: you might also want to edit that first journal entry and 'fess up to being the author!)

Profile Image
I appreciate hearing from mojosmom. Yes, I've added my website and yes, I sent out another message to make it clear that I'm an author who is letting his own book do the walking. Mojosmom, I was impressed in reading about your background. You might want to read mine as well, although I am still having difficulty getting my photo into my profile, even though I shrunk it down below the pixel range and megabyte range allowed. Well, it doesn't matter, who wants to look at an author anyway? If you do a Google search for "Hill Song Press" you'll come up with my web page that will also give you all sorts of info about my book and me (including my photo). Take care, and happy "bookcroosing" adventures!
Profile Image
Try renaming the picture file before you attempt to upload it again. For some reason the site seems to balk if you try to reload the same filename more than once in a row.
Profile Image
I only just discovered that several of my books are floating around in the wild. I was not at all concerned. I have seven novels and twenty-two plays earning me a living so a few floating is simply good fun. I was so impressed with the notion that I registered one of my latest novels (The Haha Man) and released it. It will be interesting to see how far they travel.

My 1995 novel In Wolf's Clothing has turned up in Maryland in the USA. Not bad for a book that was only ever released in Australia and New Zealand.
Profile Image
> My 1995 novel In Wolf's Clothing has
> turned up in Maryland in the USA. Not bad
> for a book that was only ever released in
> Australia and New Zealand.

Sounds like your books have been doing some informal travelling already!
Profile Image
I agree with you. Does this woman not realize that this site will increase her business if anything. Someone may find a book, read it, like it, and go to her store to find more of the same. Some people are so short sighted its just not funny.
Profile Image
I am a certified (Barnes&Noble) book a holic! You know when Norm walked into Cheer's? Well that's me in B&N (these guys know who funds their paychecks) If I like an author I buy their books. And I keep them-- preferrablly in hardcover. I would buy a second (or third) copy to lend to a friend or relaease... If anything participating here will increase an author's sales (at least to me) because1) I would buy additional copies to release of authors I enjoy and want to share and 2)be motivated to read a new author -if I found a bookcrossing book (and then buy their books to keep)
Profile Image
no I dont think so...
I'll tell you my experiece , if it was not for bookcrossing i would never buy books of certain author (lucarelli) and now i have all his books.
:-)
kisses
Profile Image
As the Author of Diary of Ancient rites, I am happy there are places like yours. People buy my book and allow someone else to read it, I perosnally have placed my book up to journey. I dont feel that you are depriving me but assisting me in my mission. I wrote the book to be read, royalties are second in line to the objective of why people write.
Profile Image
As my Mum would have said 'there are lots of things I want but if I don't ask nicely ... '
Profile Image
Writing is a form of art like any other and while money is a nice side-effect, the act of creating something beautiful that is bigger than ourselves is really the whole point of writing. I am not sure how effective this will be but I plan to release 10 copies of my new book, Toe Tags & Tequila by William Bryan Layton next month. My publisher is not really doing much to promote my book, so I am trying to get creative. If even one of my books are found and journaled I will release a lot more. As an author, I think book crossing is a wonderful idea!
Profile Image
If even one of my books are found and journaled I will release a lot more.

Good Luck with the wild releases. I hope they get read and word gets round for you :)
Profile Image
On a trip across the Atlantic, at the point of no return, I dropped a real message in a bottle over the side of the ship. I doubt it will ever make it back to me, but what a romantic idea - just like BookCrossing.com

I am the author of Toe Tags and Tequila and I think BookCrossing.com is a great way to get the word out. I read somewhere that the author of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo released wild copies of his book to help kick off sales.

In that same spirit, I am releasing 100 copies of my book before it is even available at Barns&Noble, Amazon.com, etc. I am sending out 3 copies today with friends that are traveling back to the UK. I dropped three others last week (on a ship, at a doctor's office, and in a hotel room).

I don't know if it will really help but I can't think of a better or more exciting way to advertise. By the end of the month, all 100 will be released. Then I get to see where they go - I will see what adventures they have.

After posting this note - I saw that I had actually posted last year. Since then I had to change publishers due to release date delays. Toe Tags and Tequila is now set to be release in book stores May 7, 2013. I thought BookCrossing.com was a good idea then and now.
Profile Image
Just gotta put my two cents worth in: as an author I view giving books away as a promotional technique, and one actually recommended by those in the publishing field. Place a label in one of your own titles before donating the book to an event for a raffle or door prize, or leave your book in the typical Book Crossing fashion.

Books that are released show up on Bookcrossing and such so let's say I am in South Carolina and see a title released in Washington. Not likely I will get to it, but the title intrigues me so I end up buying one somewhere. Or, maybe I am in the area but didn't find the book...I might still go buy it, disappointed that I didn't catch it.

Giving away books is never a bad thing: it gets your titles and name known and out there, and it promotes good public relations! Make sure you sign your books before hand and even slip in a web addy or business card. Sure, the book catcher has THIS title of yours, but you have 6 others for sale that they want to buy! :-)

Gotta love free or cheap promotional ventures!

Deanna Anderson, author
andersondeanna.weebly.com
Profile Image
As an avid reader, all I can say is that my wishlist grows longer every time I stick my nose into the bookcrossing forums ;-) And I WILL get impatient enough to go buy them eventually, or ask for them for birthdays or christmas. I might spend my money a bit differently now, compared to before joining BC - but in total I think I'm spending more money on books than before. Once had a book coming through as a ring that I afterwards bought as a gift for someone else. So yes, I think the promotional part should outweigh any negative effects, if there are any.
Profile Image
Gosh, I haven't read all the thread as it's long, but I'm definitely spending a lot more on books so that I can keep my own copy but also pass on books that I love. Admittedly often buying books in charity shops but also many times buying them new so that I can see others having the joy of reading them. I can't believe authors could ever see this as a bad thing!
Profile Image
This is a very long and interesting post!
I am an author and have just found BookCrossing.

Personally I think it can only help authors promote their books. I give free copies of my book to people all the time. These copies end up on peoples bookshelves at home or are passed on. Now that is free advertising. BookCrossing adds another dimension by being able to actually track where your book visits.

I often leave books I have already read laying around and from now on will be releasing them into the wild through BookCrossing.
I am not sure on the rules of releasing your own books - I am releasing a copy tomorrow and since I live in a tourist area am interested to see where it ends up.
Profile Image

Authors

I see book crossing as free advertising and promotion for authors. But I guess some authors can't think about that can they.

Since I joined bookcrossing I'm spending a lot more money buying books from either amazon/charity shop/ mainstream bookshop than I did 2 years ago. Because this site has introduced me to new authors and new genres of books.

For example sue Townsend if somebody hadn't sent me one of her books I wouldn't of bought three more of her books in the book store.

Profile Image
I'm an author and I released my OWN book. Someone paid and never picked up. It was signed with their name and everything. I call that book "Karl the Traveling Book" Just waiting for him to ping...
Profile Image
although bookcrossing may not accrue immediate copyright royalties (as in the books are passed on free) it DOES amount to free marketing & publicity. As a for instance, I was introduced to Philippa Gregory's books through a free bookcrossing book which then lead me to purchase other copies of other books of hers, thus creating additional sales for her!! So one non-royalty-paying book actually created three or four royalty paying purchases!!
Profile Image
Yeah Bookcrossing has increased my book spend. I'm always seeing books that other people have read that I want. And even if I don't buy them myself, they go on my wishlist and when it's my birthday/Christmas, people buy them for me :) Also the amount of books I've read now from authors I've never heard of is astonishing.
Profile Image
A few years ago, I attended an event featuring Linwood Barclay, whose books I love. I bought one of his books there and at the signing table, I told him about BookCrossing and my plans to send his book around the world via a bookring. He kindly agreed to dedicate the book to BCers and wrote, "To my BookCrossing friends around the world."

Several months ago, I sent him a message through his agent letting him know that the book had been to a number of Canadian provinces, US states and countries overseas. I didn't expect a reply but was thrilled when he did write back saying that he appreciated the update and was impressed by how far the book had travelled.

I don't think his sales were hurt at all. Most people in the bookring were enthusiastic about the book and said they would try to find more books by Barclay. I'm sure there are many BCers like me, who buy books by favourite authors just to give them away.

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6  

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.