corner corner Authors and Bookcrossing

Forum | << Site Watch | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I think quite the opposite. In fact I know personally and I'm sure I can generalise for most of book crossers but I've purchased more books since I've been a member than I normally would have. Seeing wonderful titles and reading someone elses comments on a book I'd never heard of before inspires me to want to read those stories.

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 

Profile Image
{Continued from previous message}

As for dwindling book sales, yes, there are book trades going on, but they are usually for older books or at least books that have been around for a few weeks. And, in our "I want it now" generation, fans of an established author will not hesitate to buy a book from a bookstore when it is newly released. Same thing with new authors who win prestigious awards (I can only imagine how the book sales are soaring for Yann Martel!)

As for the rest of the new authors? Well, I think the rules remain the same for any author/musician/artist: establish a fan base. I'm sorry if I seem idealistic, but if you write a good story, then people will buy your book. It's as simple as that.

The desire to get rid of anything that re-distributes books (2nd hand shops, libraries, book exchanges) irks me somewhat. I'd like to think that books are much more than the "consumer good I paid X-dollars for". They're a source of entertainment, enlightenment and inspriation. We should definitely support our authors, but if it turns into an issue where books are only obtainable by those with money, then we run into many, many more problems that, in my opinion, are much worse than dwindling book sales.
Profile Image
The truth is; Not the publisher but the author is responsible for selling the book. Check most modern contracts. Authors nowadays need to be businessmen as well. Unless you are famous enough, it's up to you to sell your book, as an up and coming author especially. It's hard enough finding a publisher to invest in publishing your book. Most of the time even the editing comes out of your own pocket.

Greetz.
DD.

Profile Image
i've bought 5 books from retailers so far, and usually i NEVER spend money on books. I just say to myself, "oh i'll borrow it from the library one day" and never do. Now i just buy it, and then get super excited to pass it on. Bookcrossing actually has added an extra excitement to reading altogether, that has helped me read way more often than i used to.
Profile Image
Eh, I don't think this site will rob authors of too many royalties. One book will probably go through, what, 25 people at most? (I don't know, I'm new here, and if one copy of one book does go through over 10,000 people...I don't want to know about it, it'll make me depressed.) So, let's say a book costs $6.00. An author usually gets 4% to 6% of the cover price, so that's 24 to 36 cents each book. If one book is read by 25 people, that's $6 to $9 lost. Nine dollars will get the author into a movie theater to watch a movie but that's about it. Or, wait, I did see a sale at the Eddie Bauer outlet the other day, nice wool sweaters for $9.99, I kid you not. So okay, you can buy something that lasts longer than a night at the movies for $9.00 and change. (grin) But it's not that big a deal, and worth the advertising.

Used book stores--I'm personally I'm glad some person who can't afford the regular price can get a chance to read books. A lot of elderly folks on small fixed incomes don't have any other way of buying books. Also, there are times I've accidentally run out of copies of my own books and have been thankful I can find one or two at the used book store to keep. Ditto historical research books. Can't afford to buy them new, no way, no how, particularly the ones with pictures in them. I would if I could, but many of them are out of print anyway.

Libraries--bless 'em! Books are sold to libraries new, and are never, never stripped and returned to the publishers. When the books wear out, the libraries buy more NEW copies. This is a GOOD thing.

People who sell stripped books (books without covers)--may they suffer a thousand torments. This is an illegal activity. When a book is stripped, the covers are returned to the publisher, and the publisher reimburses the bookseller for the books not sold. The books themselves should be thrown away, or be _given_ away at most. Instead, some nasty people are taking the publishers' (and author's) money saying they weren't sold, AND pocketing the money from sales of those same books, which is fraud. These are people who don't really care about books, they just want the money and are willing to do something illegal to get it. Also, they're heartlessly defacing and mauling books for profit.

But I do understand some authors' concerns. Keep in mind that the average author earns somewhere around $4,000 a year from their books, and yes, that includes the million dollar incomes of big best sellers in that average. Take out the few best sellers out of that average, and you can imagine what other authors earn. Not much. Most authors I know work full time at an outside job, or depend on a spouse to support them if they're so lucky as to be married. So you're looking at a person is probably working 40 hours a week on the job, and working an additional 15 to 20 or more hours per week trying to put out a book every year or two, on top of juggling a home and family. After a while, they get really, really tired and a little bit cranky about lack of sales because if there were more, they'd probably not have to work so many hours.

25 copies not bought...that's not much in a print run of, say, 40,000. But if it were in the hundreds or more, then it gets a little more iffy. I doubt it'd get that high, though. By the time a single paperback book goes through even 100 readers it'd probably be falling apart.

As a result, I tend to think Bookcrossing.com is probably much better advertising for an author than sales-stealing.

--Karen H.
Profile Image

snobs

wow, that author sounds rather snobby in the mettalica sense.. heh. i like what this website has to say about this very question. i believe it can be found at the bottom of the homepage. by the way, i like what you said about second hand books - i had never thought of it.
Profile Image
We had our local bookfair today. 7th annual, fundraiser for the local community college, and partially sponsored by Random House (we have a large distribution center in the county where I live).
Anyway, I took a lot of books to give away, BC bookmarks and flyers. I also was wearing a pin that said "Ask Me for a Free Book".
I was walking around the table where local authors were sitting - they had a great response this year and there must have been over a dozen local authors. This one author was really interested in BC, so even though I didn't buy her book (I bought one from the lady sitting next to her, who was at lunch), she gave me one of her books and asked me to promote it at the website. Later I went back to see her friend (we had had "making change" problems), and she had already told her friend about it. Her friend gave me a copy of another book for BC.
So I bought 1 author's books, and received 2 more for free. I love BC, and I'm actually starting to love reviewing books, which I used to always hate. :-)

Needless to say, I see 2 bookrings in my future. ;-)
Profile Image
Wow! Cool, good job promoting BC with the authors! That's great!
Profile Image
this morning. But I won't "out" her yet (she hasn't posted a profile yet). I'll wait a few days, and then perhaps send her a welcoming pm. I'll definitely be ringing these books in a few weeks - I have a couple of others I'm working on right now that I've been wanting to ring too, and I seem to be between incoming bookrings right now (shhh, now that I've said that they'll probably all come my way next week!)
Profile Image
Whew. This thread took some reading.

The first thing that occurs to me is that I have never seen a book with 'Destroy after reading. Make other people buy their own copy' anywhere prominent on it.

The other thing is more a personal philosophy. If I ever recieve defective goods from a company my response is to inform them 1) that I regularly purchase their product 2)As a person with involvement in the Quality Assurance field I hope they don't mind if I make some comments.
I then point out the deficiencies and thank them for my chance to contribute.

This usually has quite beneficial results :-)

So in the case of Jessica Adams, I would purchase one of her books. I would also hope other members here would do the same, no matter how distasteful you found her comments. That way she might be more persuaded to the benefits of bookcrossing. It may not completely change her mind, but it could reduce her antipathy.

I'm not saying there are direct parallels between recieving dodgy merchandise and Ms Adams' attitude, but rather trying to express a general 'encourage rather than bully' philosophy.
Profile Image
Authors should write books for the sheer pleasure they get from putting pen to paper and letting theire imaginations run wild and also for the pleasure it gives the readers,its a shame that it all comes down to money at the end of the day :(
Profile Image
I am a chef...and you still have to pay the rent and the car and the insurance :( It's a nice idea to be quite that idealistic, but you still have to live.
I personally think that BC contributes to the marketing of a book as much as anything else. And because of my own issues I still have to buy 2 copies of book if I release it, I just can't let go...
On a lighter note, anyone want to help me clean out my storage unit?
K
Profile Image
And chefs should prepare gourmet meals for me just to see my happy face as I devour their works of art. :-) Actually many talented people in all fields do what they do for the sheer love of it. But the more time they have to devote to doing something that pays the bills, the less time they have for labors of love. And the distinction of amateur vs professional exists in the literary world as well. As long as our society values money, *everything* comes down to money at the end of the day. You're right, it's a shame.
Profile Image
And athletes should play for free, simply for the joy of the game.
Profile Image
I'm an author and I'm shocked that any author could object to the idea of bookcrossing. I write books to be read, to communicate ideas and feelings with more people than I could ever possibly hope to talk to face-to-face. Any author worries about everything that impacts on first purchase sales, but after that first sale, the worry should be about your reader's reaction to the book.

As far as I am concerned, if someone comes across a book of mine second-hand and like it, there's a better chance that reader will make a first time purchase when I put a new book out.
Profile Image
Isn't that sort of like Authors objecting to Libraries for the same reason? The book is sold once and then EVERYONE gets a chance to pick it up for free.
Profile Image
> Isn't that sort of like Authors objecting
> to Libraries for the same reason? The book
> is sold once and then EVERYONE gets a
> chance to pick it up for free.

That's the argument I always use when the music industry objects to people downloading files. How is the intellectual property of musicians different?
Profile Image
> As far as I am concerned, if someone comes across a book of mine second-hand and like it,
> there's a better chance that reader will make a first time purchase when I put a new book out.

You'd be right, in my case. I sometimes won't buy a book, esp in hardback, if I'm unsure if I'll like it. But let me find a beat up old paperback for nothing or next-to-nothing and I''ll say, "Eh, what the heck, it's two bucks." Or say, "Eh, what the heck, I'll try it on this bookring." If I find that I like it, then the next time I see that author, even if it's a just-released expensive hardback, I am liable to buy it.
Profile Image
"West Bank Diary"by Jerry Levin(I think you`ll find some more info in http://www.cpt.org-Inside Looking Out)
or "Whose Promise Land" and "Whose Hole City?Jesuralem and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict."by Colin Chapman
and did, does, will?
Profile Image
I am a new author and I think that Bookcrossing is a great way to promote a book. It is also an exciting way for people to pick up a book and read it. Sort of like a treasure hunt.

Profile Image
I agree with the author that said people would be more likely to buy his (or her) next book. When I find an author I really like, I buy everything by that author. If I were to find a bookcrossing book and liked it, I would go to a book store and buy more from the author. the comment about libraries was also true. good heavens, books are to be read, and enjoyed. If I pay $6 for a book and liked it, I want to share it..I own 2 copies of my favorite book "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin. One for reading, (paperback) and one to preserve (hardback) I will always need more books than can be found through bookcrossing. nobody has to worry about me not buying more books because of bookcrossing..there will always be so many books that I was to read
Profile Image
i've been passing along books that i read to friends for years. i tell them i don't want it back as i don't believe in books gathering dust on shelves and that it would nice if they could pass it to another reader when done. if i thought passing along a Grisham or Lehane was going to deprive these folks of much needed income, i might reconsider. but for struggling authors, what better way to get their book around to be read than by passing it around? i also have a habit of going to Amazon and sending these same books to friends as gifts.
Profile Image

Oh wow, I guess everyone thinks differently.
Profile Image
If I ever got a book published I would just be excited people were reading it. If it was good enough it would make enough money anyway. I self publish small specialty cooking pamphlets. I receive no revenue from these being passed around. I just get excited that these people are trying my recipes.
Profile Image
I have a number of cookbooks self-published by my grandmother. I've registered one on BC already, but I intend to release more. If anyone thinks they'd like one of my family's "Five Generations Cookbook"s, I'd be willing to trade for anything you think is interesting. Let me know! (Note: I'm thinking a maximum of 4 or 5 here - I don't have the world's biggest postage budget.)
Profile Image
I'll bite (pun intended). Let me know if you see anything on my bookshelf that interests you.
Profile Image
No I don't think so. I just wish that I had more $$$ so I can buy more books. It seems like since I joined this site and became some what active on it, all I want to do is buy more books. My wish list is getter longer by the week it seems like. Ah, if only I was rich......
Profile Image
hi i havent had time or space to read four a long time but ifound a book crossing book and since then i have read 4 other books i make time 4 it i also have bought neew books let books go from my book case still have a lot to get ridd of but this is a great way of getting rid of your booksif you give a book to a freind you get it back book case is flowing over now it is going down i can buy more books to and put them on the shelf
Profile Image
I can only speak for myself. I believe that authors may actually earn money by approving of bookcrossing. I find myself trying different authors that I may not have otherwise tried reading. I do also purchase books and would be inclined to purchase a book that I enjoyed the author from a previous read.
Profile Image
I'd just like to say that I think that whoever that author was, he/she must be a very spiteful person. I think that Bookcrossing is a wonderful idea; the books lying on people's shelves are a waste anyway, and, Bookcrossing gives me the valuable excuse to buy books that I've been dying to read! Thank you!
Profile Image
Not all authors are like that!

Take a look at what I just posted over on Chit-Chat:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/238950
Profile Image
I am an author and I love Book Crossing and the whole concept behind it. In fact, I released my two books "Genuine Swiss Army" and "Boot Camp" into the wild myself and am eager to see how they travel around and what others think about them. I will probably release more copies of them at some point. I am shocked that other writers don't appreciate the beauty of Book Crossing. Writing is not about money--it's about reading and having otehrs read your words. THAT's what writing should be about...
Profile Image
You're absolutely right, Mrs. Jones!
Profile Image
I run a second hand bookshop. I love bookcrossing! Anything that encourages reading and love of books is welcome, IMHO. If we ever find bookcrossing books in the lots that we buy for stock, we always journal the find and release them again into wild.
Profile Image
I am new to bookcrossing but here's an experience that should put the publishing inductry's fears to rest....

I was logging on to BC, and saw a most recently released book that I'd never heard of, but that looked interesting. I went to Amazon to read about it, ordered it, and may likely have discovered a new author and buy other books of his.

Then, while on Amazon, I decided to buy a few favorite books to release. A child's book that my recently-deceased stepmother loved, and that I will send out to share with a memo about her and the book's significance to her. Then I ordered a few that I loved reading with my children- a classic Sendak and a chapter book. And while there, I noticed that a first edition of one of them was available through one of the rare book sellers that posts on Amazon, so I ordered it for one of my children for Christmas.

None of these purchases wouldn't have been made if someone hadn't left at bookcrossing book at the Depot House Espresso Cafe in Coburg, Oregon.

read-em-n-reap
Profile Image
Seems like that's a particularly active 'home' depot out there, yes? Could it be the coffee? Or were you just out traveling (with Charley): http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/371391 ?

Oh yes, and nice work on the finds, and on freeing others in return... :-)
Profile Image
I think it just became active. The proprietor became all excited when someone left a book there last week....I make deliveries out there so it's going to be fun to drop off or pick up, then spead around the area. I don't think we're as active out here as your side of the continent.

...it's probably the coffee *and* the cozy couch...

just checked out your page..it was fun to say, "Hey! I read that!!" (snow falling on cedars) and my kids Looved that (Shel silverstein) and my nephew has read all of those (Calvin and Hobbes)...is that community-forming-around-books-feeling part of the whole BC idea?
Profile Image
> is that community-forming-around-books-feeling part of the whole BC idea?

Most definitely, and very well said, for it goes well beyond the books. I've actually been to some of the (many!) coffeehouses in Eugene, many years ago. Great places to come in out of the rain! As I recall, they encourage you to sit and read. Let's see: I still have a tee-shirt from the Smith Family bookstore, a marvelous little cafe and a terrific book shop! And I have a well read copy of van Gogh's complete letters (NYGS) from J Michael's Books on East Broadway. Are they still there? Yep, all this, great galleries, and free street parking!! What a concept!

As for being active, I think the real go-getters are up in Canada - must be something to do with staying warm! As for me, I've yet to release a book into the 'wild', per se; mostly just work through the mail. That said, any books you're looking for? :-)

> just checked out your page

How 'bout that kid? Is she cute or what?! :-)
Profile Image
Dad's not so bad, either.
Profile Image
MAJOR OOPS! I forgot I had changed the picture! Please disregard all references to these last few notes. Please!!!!! :-)
Profile Image
yes, she's a great-looking kid! Has she helped you select some of your books.

Yes, Smith Family is still in Eugene, in two locations, actually. I think they outgrew their first spot. I buy and sell in there, but don't recall any tables or coffee....

...and J Michaels books is still downtown in the Quackenbush building. We also have new neighbors by us, on the outskirts, and Ezra is a rare book seller who works online...I am going to have to ask him if he's connected to Abebooks or someone else online, or if he's independent, and tell him about this site.

Did I notice that you had a book on your shelf about dealing with the death of a son? Or was that somewhere else I saw that today? I am on a slooooow connection at the moment, so can't get back over there to browse...

Profile Image
I'm not yet ready to part with these, but I was given a couple of wonderful books that might prove helpful:
* Artichoke Heart : Journey through Loss to Rediscover the Soul and Celebrate Living by Helen Elaine
* Giving Sorrow Words: How to Cope With Grief and Get on With Your Life by Candy Lightner, Nancy Hathaway
Profile Image
> she's a great-looking kid!

Thanks; my one and only! And yours?

> Has she helped you select some of your books.

Kate influences just about everything I do these days, and she has certainly affected my reading, both before and after she was born. Standard books on pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting, and later, picture books, 'I-Can-Read' books, and now things like Silverstein and Dahl, Watterson and Carroll, and, most recently, Issac Singer. The poetry books are more or less 'textbooks' for the things I write for her now... :-)

We've gotten many excellent selections from the wonderful people here, some of which are on her own shelf (ktgirl); I've also gotten souvenirs from people around the US and several foreign countries! As Kate would say: "Way Cool!"

I'm glad to know both Smith and J Michaels are still around; in the early 90's Smith's had a small eating area ('lite fare', and coffee, of course) at the front of the store - that's also where the tee-shirt came from. By all means, get your neighbor to come aboard here and at ABE (or Amazon). It would be a great asset to have someone in the book business join us (actually, I assume there are already such members, but I'm not familiar with them yet).

Yes, I have a book on dealing with the death of a son: 'Only Spring', by Gordon Livingston. True story, that, and a very sad one, unfortunately...
Profile Image
> dealing with the death of a son

I didn't want to make any assumptions, but, given Annulla's reply, perhaps it is proper to ask. Is this something that has happened in your life?
Profile Image
I was thinking of a friend whose son committed suicide two and a half years ago after struggling with substance abuse. He grew up with my son, and at one point was on his way to becoming the class valedictorian...played basketball, had lots of friends....my son just went down to Northern California with summer to meet up with some of the other friends and the mom and set the headstone. I know that each day is a challenge for her, though she is one of the most upbeat folks I know. I can't say I know how she feels...don't think anyone can unless they have actually experienced it.

I am blessed with two children, now 23 and 24. Their dad read them the Tolkein books when they were elementary school aged, and when they move now I think we tote more boxes of books than anything else for them... our son took a Shel Silverstein tape to school to share in 2nd grade but warned the teacher to preview it "because some of the poems may not be appropriate." My sister gave them a Roald Dahl book that your daughter might enjoy. He "re-wrote" the classic Fairy Tales and included about half a dozen in the book. I think it was called Dirty Beasts, but I am not sure...will have to check on it and let you know. It was irreverently funny. Both of our children are searching out their favorites online to purchase and release; perhaps that will be one of them.

P.S. Caught your testimonial poem. You are busy! That was a kick. I will go check out your daughter's bookshelf....
Profile Image
I am very sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I can't imagine what that would be like, but I am glad to know that your son, and you, are able to help. Livingston also lost a son to suicide, but the focus of 'Only Spring' is on the youngest (Lucas), who died of leukemia. If you think this book, or any like it, would be of help, consider it yours.

> two children, now 23 and 24

Way cool! So, there is life after the teenage years, yes? I'd guess their well-adjusted demeanor has much to do with those early readings, as well as the fact that their parents were so involved in this way! And kudos for introducing them to Silverstein at so young an age; we did the same for Kate. I expect this has warped her permanently; her life ambition is to do something completely silly, like seeking an endowed chair at Harvard... :-)

The Dahl book you're referring to is 'Revolting Rhymes', one of Kate (and my) favorites! 'Dirty Beasts' is a 'followup' about the peculiarities and (imagined) antics of animals (e.g., Lion, Crocodile); some of these are in the 'Treasury'. I think it's great your kids are looking to participate in this Bookcrossing adventure - clearly they had an extraordinary mother, yes? (At least that's what my mom always says... :-)

> You are busy

I like to write! Kate doesn't care so much for the others; her basic reaction: 'Whatever.' Sigh. Which finds me uttering a line I thought I'd never use: "Just wait until you have children! Then you'll understand..." :-)
Profile Image
Is there such a thing as coincidence? Yesterday's New York Times had an article regarding two new books on suicide - "No Time to Say Goodbye: Surviving the Suicide of a Loved One," by Carla Fine, Broadway Books, $12.95, and "How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person's Guide to Suicide Prevention," by Susan Rose Blauner, William Morrow, $24.95. Perhaps one of these might prove helpful...

http://www.nytimes.com/---/19BOOK.html
Profile Image
Isn't it amazing how stuff like that happens? Thanks for the heads up...I don't often get to peek at a copy of the New York Times out here....though I think the cafe may start carrying at least the Sunday one. I will go check those out. I want to get something in the mail to her. As time passes, people move on, and an occasional gesture to indicate "I still remember what you are going through" helps her heal, she says.
Profile Image
Read-em, my best friends brother committed suicide a couple years ago also. We still talk about Jason ever month or two, about how what happened affects her family, and what he has missed since he died. Its the little rememberances that get the family past holidays and occasions when not having him around leaves a hole in what would be a perfect occasion, so kudos to you for being there and remembering your friends loss and allowing her to remember her son without feeling guilty that she might be making you uncomfortable.
Profile Image
So, to wrap up this thread, between the discussion I had here with other members, and logging on and seeing what's been released, I am now ordering 2 copies of a book on grieving; one for my friend and one to release after I read it. I also saw a book on women of the bible being released, so searched it out and am ordering a copy for my mother-in-law for Christmas...and sent $$ to both children to buy some favorites and "play" on BC....so, 'nuf said about the "harm" to booksellers, eh?

Kris
Profile Image
You can also read the New York Times online for free.
Profile Image
maybe it was Annula that "robert-n-Kate" was directing the question about recent loss to...since you recommend two books on grieving that you are not yet ready to part with?
Profile Image
No, the question was to read-em-n-reap. I'm not yet ready to release the books or the grief...
Profile Image
You know that if you log on to Amazon through this site, BookCrossing gets a small commission too?
Profile Image
yes, but thatnks for the heads up. I would've felt terrible to have missed that opportunity. Ordered off Amazon through the BC site, then ordered virtual cash for both of my children to order their favorites to free...my daughter is a Powells devotee so I used their site, again linked through BC....

...and I think I will buy myself an apron to wear, but then I'd have to have time during deliveries to explain what bookcrossing is...
Profile Image
This is similar to a discussion on another list about copying books. (Most copyers don't realize it cost more to copy than buy.) Yes, I write to earn money. I also write because I have a message that I want to get out to people. Once I have received the initial payment for my book, it's out in the world where I want it to be.

Some writers are even complaining about used book sales. They believe they have a "right" to a percentage of that money as well.

I think this all started with the greed attitude in the other art industries. You know, "Don't you dare make a copy of my CD to carry in the car with you. I might lose ten cents in income." Then again, music and movie industry have bigger names and more money behind them to get "protection" laws passed. (O.K. that's a different soap box.)

I wonder if we should charge rent at public libraries so the author's can get a piece of that pie as well?

Susan K. Stewart
http://www.skstewart.com
Profile Image
Hi,

I just discovered this site. I am in the process of still writing my book. But I have discovered, as many have, what goes around comes around. You do something nice for someone and it comes back to you in other ways more abundantly.

This philosophy really works. I have seen it work in my life on almost a daily basis. This is just another way the internet has allowed this to happen in ways that we couldn't have done ten to 20 years back. I am so glad I found this forum, and wish I had found it long ago.

Kindest regards,

Laurie
Profile Image
You will let us know when your book is out?
Profile Image
> I wonder if we should charge rent at
> public libraries so the author's can get a
> piece of that pie as well?

In Australia, authors get a small payment per deemed copy of a book in public libraries. This was set up many years ago to (quote essence but not exact wording) compensate authors for loss of sales due to public library borrowings. I wish library borrowings DID lead to better sales, but when books are often "pulled" due to low sales after less than a year, anyone trying to buy a book after s/he has read it from the library may be out of luck.
Profile Image
juz 1 2 get some books info from here. coz sumtimes da books r really expensive...i cant afford all...
Profile Image
I posted the following at AuthorsDen and in my Blog...
http://duanesimolke.blogspot.com/

I also included several links to BookCrossing

Tuesday, November 19, 2002
Posted 3:18 PM by Duane Simolke

BookCrossing Benefits Readers and Writers

I keep coming across references to BookCrossing! For those who haven’t heard, BookCrossing is an online and physical book club that encourages people to give away books or “accidentally” leave them places. The books carry labels to help track them, and the people who find them can use the label information to write about the books and share them with others.

For example, Joe buys a copy of Bush at War, reads it and labels it, then leaves it on a park bench or a coffee shop booth. Sue loves Four Blind Mice, so she buys an extra copy, labels it, and gives it to a friend at work. Some people even pass labeled books out at events.

Some writers and publishers hate the whole idea of “freeing” books, as you can see at BookCrossing’s message boards. However, as a writer, I love the idea of more people finding my books, sharing them with others, and writing about them! The buzz they generate sells more books, so that’s hardly a loss for the author or publisher. Besides, someone has to buy a copy to (as BookCrossing says) “release it.” Also, for authors whose publishers don’t supply free review copies, it means someone else provides a review copy! From visiting BookCrossing’s site, I can see that freed books generate reviews, unlike too many of the review copies sent to traditional book reviewers.

If you’re interested in BookCrossing (or already involved with them), please consider buying and “freeing” a copy of The Acorn Gathering: Writers Uniting Against Cancer. I even posted that suggestion at The Acorn Gathering Home Page.

http://acorngathering.gq.nu/

I edited and co-wrote that collection of unusual and often inspiring short stories, with royalties going to cancer cure research. With a program like BookCrossing, many more people would learn about The Acorn Gathering, and help it raise more money for its cause. They could start buying more copies and “freeing” them, for still others to discover. They would also see that they treasure many of the book’s stories; I’ve found that different readers have different favorites in that collection. With a discussion area like at BookCrossing, a lively talk could develop about why some of these stories and authors affect readers so deeply.

Readers can order The Acorn Gathering at most local or online bookstores. They can also preview it online at iUniverse.

Even beyond my work, I love reading books, and I love the idea of people sharing, talking about, and promoting books in general. Please tell others about BookCrossing, or e-mail them a link to this entry.

Profile Image
I used to own a bookstore that sponsored large group signing events for authors. So they were always in and out of the shop.

They complained that they would ship their books off to reviewers who would never review the book. Probably 60% of review copies were sent unread to local libraries, handed off to the reviewers' friends, or sold on Amazon Marketplace.

The rule is - and eventually they all admit this - it doesn't matter how you get your book out there. Every copy out there is advertisement. How many times have you purchased books you loved to give as gifts to someone else? How many times did you lend a book to someone who never returned it, then buy another copy to replace it? How many people do you tell about that book?

So, my feeling is that the author is newly minted, and doesn't realize how books in the wild are helping her sales.
Profile Image
I haven't read through many of the responses here, so I may be saying what many others have already said. I've bought more books by authors I would not have bought because of bookcrossing.

Years ago, a famous group of musicians took a very different approach than many musicians take today. They not only allowed their fans to tape their concerts, they encouraged it by setting up an area near the stage to give them optimal recordings. They also encouraged their fans to create t-shirts and other merchandise and sell them in the parking lot of their concerts. They became one of the richest bands in the world, and the Grateful Dead are worth millions of dollars.

Maybe an author can't be quite a generous, but for myself, I am more likely to buy an author's books after I've sampled their writing through a library, second hand bookstore, or a paperback on sale. If I really like them, I will probably start buying their books in hardcover to keep.
Profile Image
Hola!
alguien tiene una copia o resúmen electrónico de este libro??
podrian enviarmelo por fa??
Profile Image
No, you're NOT the only person to be baffled. That's such inanity! I have the good forture to know a lot of authors and they will tell me often, when I sort of apologize "I got it from the library" how THRILLED they are that someone READS their books. It got her name into someone's hands, her BOOK into someone's hands and maybe they'll buy the next one. Or, like you, NOT, given her attitude (and her "income" from the book is minimal anyway). I'm totally with you - anything that gets people to read is good and her comment is ridiculous, short-sighted and will not win her any friends.
Profile Image
but, as a begining author, with my first book coming out, I want people to read it. Granted, you can not get more grass roots than this, an organized method of book lending, however, it gets the name out. Also, at least ONE book was bought! Think about your habits before BXing. You'd buy a book and usually loan it to some one to read. Often you might say "Pass it along" so, in a way we have been BXers for a long time! Now the cover gets reproduced and reviews are written -- it is a great way to see how people enjoy my work! When WolfPointe comes out - I will purchase a few copies and release them.. How's that for an illness?!?
Profile Image

re ArJohn

congrats on ur new book,if u drop one off for bx & it gets a good review u will probably be getting a few hundred more sales than without the review hope all goes well
Profile Image
I work for a small, independent bookstore chain, and coming from that perspective, I know that each sale is very important in keeping our chain alive. Keeping that in mind, I think that any other that does not want their work read is off their gourd! In order to compete with the big boys down the street, we have to really cater to the community and customer service is key. It is not unusual to stock a book in our store based on a reccommendation from a customer. Now, that particular customer is probably not going to buy the book again, but because of their good words, we will then make the book available for purchase. Word of mouth advertising (and Oprah) are the most effective in the bookselling business. Look at this year's Da Vinci Code, or last year's Lovely Bones. With that in mind, I can't see BX as anything but positive for authors, booksellers and publishers. Rock on, BX!
Profile Image

An Authors view

In order for my book (WolfPointe)_ to participate as a BX book, it has to be bought. When most people buy a book and read it, they often recommend, lend, or give it to one or more people to read. We all know that. It's known as getting known, the hope is the 2-3 people who read the lent version will buy my next book and so on. What BX does that makes this even better, is it does it all in the full view of hundreds of people. People actively looking for books to read are seeing journal entries and stories of read and release. Its like being at a readers convention.
Yes, when WolfPointe gets released (Early 2004 -- remember!!) I will buy a few and release them here in my town. I won't get the $$ but maybe when the next comes out -- I will be better known.
BXers! -- As an author I can say -- I love you guys!! And I am one of you!
Profile Image
Do you have a Time Machine annulla? LOL it gets released in early 2004 according to the authors post.
Profile Image
> Do you have a Time Machine annulla? LOL it gets released in
> early 2004 according to the authors post.

Amazon allows you to pre-order books and will have the book info in there sometimes several months in advance.
Profile Image
Cheers for the explanation. As I was typing that post I thought, there's probably an explanation along those lines heh heh.
Profile Image
For example, I just looked up "My Invented Country : A Memoir" by Isabel Allende, which will be published May 1, 2004. The page says "This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives."
Profile Image
To find pre-publication books on amazon, just search for the author's name and you'll get a list of his or her books. Then sort by "Publication Date" and you'll see which book is coming next and when it is due to arrive. That's how I learned about Julia Alvarez's next book - a young adult book about a teen living under a dictatorship, called "Before We Were Free," due on March 9. Sounds as though it was based on Alvarez's own experiences in the Dominican Republic, and I look forward to reading it.
Profile Image

Its LISTED!!!

WolfPointe is now listed on Amazon.com!!

To toss in another 2 cents.
A writer (well a novelist anyway) is just a storyteller. I am not writing to make money (I will, however, NOT turn any down) I write because I love to tell stories. Publishing is just a way to get it in front of more people. To me the dream is not to make mega bucks, but to be recognized as on hellofa story teller....
Profile Image
Part of the hold up for its release is getting all this done. Best thing to do is just search the name WolfPointe.
Right now it is available as an ebook only. The paperback is ready but waiting all the pre-launch things to happen. My publisher has decided to go into paper pub and is still negotiating with Amazon et al for everything...
If you want - goto Twilighttimesbooks.com
Thanks for your interest!
Profile Image
I've just stumbled upon this site and am very happy about it. I've actually been doing this for a very long time without realizing there were others doing the same thing but in an organized fashion. Only last week, I left a book in an internet café on a croatian island and one on an airplane. And I can't even think of all the books I've given away. All I need to do is figure out this numbering thing and I'll be ready to become an active member.
It's nice to meet you all.
Profile Image
I've been sharing books for many years,have started a couple of book trading spots in my r v travels.
this site is great as it lets others know of authors they may have never read,and will now go and buy
Profile Image
I admit I have a love affair with books. We were raised that way, read, read, and read. We were not rich, did not have a car, took the bus or walked. Ah but we had a library that took us everywhere through books and imagination. I was a flight attendant and loved when passengers left their books behind. To this day I carry two or three books with me. Of course, friends think I am plain nuts. Maybe. But I just do not know what mood I will be in so I have to carry a happy book, or a romance,
but then there is that best seller, and I could go on and on. And now there is that gem that I have just started reading that led me to this book site, and if I can figure out where to get the labels I will pass my books along too. Great idea and I really do believe I will end up buying the books I really like because of this wonderful place. THUMBS UP TO WHOEVER THOUGHT OF THIS IDEA.
Profile Image
I think you are right that you will end up buying more books because of this site. I joined because, while I have always been a booklover and bought lots of books, I was delighted with the idea of releasing the books I already had into the wild to be enjoyed by others (rather than just have them sit gathering dust). I assumed that my shelves would eventually become almost empty (except for the books I was then reading)as I gave all my books away.

Instead, I still have no room on my shelves. I find that for every one or two books I release, somehow, I acquire five or six more. I think I buy more books because I look forward to reading *and* releasing them. You may also find that as other people learn of your involvement with BookCrossing they'll give you their books to release (of course you may read them first)
Profile Image
The Digital Millennium Act is already curbing the dissemination of information. Perhaps you've bought an eBook? They are intended to be read on only one computer. There is also a serious concern about the future of lending libraries. Why has nobody complained before about lending, sharing or reselling books? Because the allegation that sharing reading material reduces book sales is the invention of short-sighted, greedy publishers.
Profile Image
No, I as an author was never deprived of royalties. Someone would have to have bought my book in the first place...
Profile Image
> No, I as an author was never deprived of
> royalties. Someone would have to have
> bought my book in the first place...

I agree and thought enough of it to share it with others.
Profile Image
Not necessarily so. A lot of copies of one of my books were sold on eBay BEFORE the book was published. I asked the publisher what was going on. It turned out they were reviewers' copies. Now, had the reviewers all reviewed the book, that would have been fair trade... However, there were a lot more copies than reviews.
Profile Image
I have been a member for a little under a year now. But I love all my books and the thought of abandoning them somewhere and walking away - it would be like leaving my kids. How do I do it? Is there a secret?

Linda UK
Profile Image
Are you saying you honestly feel the same attachment to your books as you do to your children? If that's the really case, there's probably nothing that anyone could *ever* say to you that would make a bit of difference.
Profile Image
Just like your children there comes a time where you need to let go. You need to let them find their own way in the world. You give them your blessing, try your best to prepare them for what is out there, and release. They may hang around home for a bit, they may go off to places you've never been--or even wanted to go, and yes, they may not make it in the big bad world.

Thanks,
Mom

> I have been a member for a little under a year now. But I love
> all my books and the thought of abandoning them somewhere and
> walking away - it would be like leaving my kids. How do I do
> it? Is there a secret?

> Linda UK
Profile Image
> I have been a member for a little under a year now. But I love
> all my books and the thought of abandoning them somewhere and
> walking away - it would be like leaving my kids. How do I do
> it? Is there a secret?

Linda, if you love all your books, you are lucky ;) I guess I take risks at buying, because some books I end up liking a lot less than I hoped for, others I like a lot more than I expected. I tried to think it through, really go physically through my bookshelves and see books I knew I would not reread - and not joking, extra bookshelf space is great! Though I got to say when I see a bargain copy for sale of a book I really liked, I ended up buying it once or twice ;) for releases
Profile Image
The way I see it, I'm sharing a cherished gift. At least this way you will (hopefully) be able to see others appreciate your babies, and enjoy them as much as you. Sometimes if you loan to even a special friend sometimes things will happen and you'll never see your baby again. I can't wait to see someone else that enjoyed one of my babies too. Perhaps being able to exchange views about my favorites, if their opinion is not the same. I'm not saying give up your most precious favorites, but surely there is something you have not liked as much as others??? I plan to even get another copy of some of my VERY favorites, just to release!! Hope this is some help, I also like the idea of being the first one to release in a new place!! Good luck, and enjoy,
Sincerely, De
Profile Image
Hace aproximadamente que oí acerca de Bookcrossing, desde entonces, cada vez que leo un libro, lo libero en lugar mas insospechado: aeropuerto, avión, tren, estación, restaurante, hotel, etc. Habré liberado unos 12 libros desde entonces. En todos ellos dejo una pequeña reseña sobre mi, correo electronico,y motivo de mi ubicación en ese lugar. Siento un gran placer cada vez que lo hago.
Profile Image
Tengo gusto de liberar los libros también. Debo hacer themed lanzamientos más a menudo, los libros no justos de la licencia sin razón.

I like freeing books too. I must do themed releases more often, not just leave books with no reason. Spanish curtesy of Dictionary.com.
Profile Image

bookrings

como posso consultar? Posso, dessa forma, reservar livros?

Tenho procurado, mas não encontro resposta no site.
Profile Image
In my local area two copies of 'The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency' were found after wild releasing and both finders enjoyed the book and went out and bought all the books in the series.

http://bookcrossing.com/---/3025179

http://bookcrossing.com/---/2789417
Profile Image
I just saw the following comment in a journal entry for a bookring I'm signed up for. We are introducing people to books and authors that they may not have thought to read before, and that sells books.

"After reading the preface only I was sure that I need to have that book in my private collection. I bought it immediately."
Profile Image
Don't know if you can find a copy of Unlock Reality in Southern California. I think it's in the UK at the moment. I found mine in London. To find out more, you can go on to the:

http://www.care2.com/---/unlockreality

This is a very good place to find all the information on Unlock Reality.

Good Luck

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.