corner corner Authors and Bookcrossing

Forum | << Site Watch | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I've not been on BX for long in the greater scheme of things however I've already bought two copies of a book at the time of purchase with the specific intent to release the second copy.

Seems to me that there are a large number of BXers who do this as well.

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 

Profile Image
I am the author of Vlad Dracula, The Dragon Prince, which was featured in a contest at BX. I am glad we have sites like BX to get our work exposure, especially those of us who use small presses to even get our work in print. I include sites like amazon, powell, etc that let us get our work sold and post reader reviews. BX is a supplement that does the publishing industry and readers a service, not harm.
Profile Image
Just want to say a quick thank-you for sponsoring a contest here. Sorry I didn't get a chance to enter the Vlad one, but having just won the Thief Lord one, I think they are simply fabu. :-) I don't figure it's fair for me to enter for a while, but I'm sure I will try again on future contests. I especially like how they encourage me to read books I wouldn't normally read, like The Thief Lord and Now You See Me. Even Flesh Tones, which I ended up not liking very much -- I am still glad I read it.
Profile Image
One point that I have not seen in this thread (I do admitting to skimming some posts) is that a new technology (or a new use for a technology, or a new application of a use for technology) ALWAYS faces some resistance at first.
This is a GOOD thing; we should worry about possible adverse consquences of new behaviors (or old behaviors carried to new lengths ... )
I disagree with the author[s] on one point; BC will benefit NEW authors most, just like remainder tables. I first met some of my favorite authors on those tables, and will buy them in hard cover now. I suspect the same will happen to me here.
I can afford to buy new full-price books now, and I do. But I still feel that I should pass along books; after all, I can't keep them all.
Profile Image
I am an author myself and think Bookcrossing is a fantastic idea - I only wish I had known of it sooner! I recently had an enormous clearout and gave away some 2500 books - it would have been lovely to have registered them and followed their 'progress'.
I shall be happy to see my own books in Bookcrossing-lists!
Profile Image
I wonder if a lot of people don't get their books the way I and my husband do: We read library books; we pick up second-hand books at the library store or used-book stores, if one takes our fancy. We impulse-buy new books at CostCo and bookstores. When there is one we want for keeps, we check for it on the AddAll.com site and often get it. All these books (and now, book reviews on BC!) frequently lead us to want other books that we can't get cheaply by the above means. Then we buy them new. I have already, in one week, found loads of books on BC that I want to buy.
I very much doubt that many people buy all-new books just to keep authors in money (sorry, authors!), any more than they buy food or clothing with helping manufacturers or food producers in their minds--or car makers, and so on. So IMHO, BC should turn out to be more of a help than a hindrance, even to new authors. After all, who is going to buy a book if they have never even heard of it or its author? Consider this site free advertising, please!
Profile Image
You are correct in that many people pick up books at the library, used book stores, etc. I am an author, yet I do the same thing. Why? Because I can't always afford to purchase the amount of books that my family (including four children) read. That is not to say, however, that I don't purchase newly released author books, especially if they are signed by the author. There is something special about an autographed book that makes people want to keep them. How much, for instance, is a first edition signed by Stephen King worth? And autographed books make wonderful gifts, especially for those people who "have everything."

So, while I will also continue to frequent my local library for favorites, I will also purchase books from book stores, as well as autographed copies by my favorite authors...just as I have a loyal following of "friends" who come to my book signings to get a specially autographed copy of one of my books. :-)

Linda Morelli
http://www.lindamorelli.us

> I wonder if a lot of people don't get
> their books the way I and my husband do:
> We read library books; we pick up second-
> hand books at the library store or used-
> book stores, if one takes our fancy. ...IMHO,
> BC should turn out to be more of a help
> than a hindrance, even to new authors.
> After all, who is going to buy a book if
> they have never even heard of it or its
> author? Consider this site free
> advertising, please!
Profile Image
Have you considered starting a book ray or two with your books? Could get some buzz happening here that could in turn lead to sales. Or release a few at OBCZ's and see where they travel.
Profile Image
I think the biggest thing with this woman in the article mentioned, is her greed. She obviously lacks the kind of intelligence to see what good books do, free or not. I love books, I always have, and I do the same thing as many people. Give them away and then buy it in hardback for my PC.
Profile Image
No, it is not.
Profile Image
Now that I've joined bookcrossing I will actually be buying MANY MORE books. Yes most likely paperback, but still new. I have mostly depended on my local library's. But now intend to purchase more often and larger qualities. Before I always gave my once read books to my library. But mostly would just check them out at the library. I felt like I was "wasting" my money, buying so many books, that I would only read once. I have little space, and have to be very selective about what I can keep, only very special favorites!! Are authors, and publishing company's intending to do away with public library's ALSO??? I may not ALWAYS buy ALL my books, I would quickly go broke!! But I certainly plan to go back to buying at least 2 every payday.....ONLY to be able to FREE them. So it seems to me bookcrossing can only SUPPORT and INCREASE book sales!! I love the idea, and intend to support it whenever and however I can. I feel certain there are more like me than otherwise, so rejoice in gaining MORE sales, instead of less!!
Sincerely, Delecia
Profile Image
I have now spent several rapturous hours (mostly) enjoying this thread. I never go to the library OR the store without my want list!! I NOW have two lists. One short with what NOT to buy-EVER!! A longer list of gracious, interesting, and appealing people I now want to BUY, just because I enjoyed their attitude and reading their letters. It's not like I have unlimited income to spend just on books, oh wait, hey I have to pay rent too!! So when I DO spend my hard earned dollars, it will not be on putting money in someone's pocket that disparages me and stoops to calling names and showing their ignorance in a very public forum!! No matter HOW low and thieving my small pleasures may seem to SOME....I DO know how to pre-order advance publications. Even moreso how to copy and e-mail vicious, name calling, diatribes to everyone on my mailing list, there by making sure no one I know, or anyone THEY know will EVER make the mistake of using our hard earned money to pay someones bills, that holds us in comtempt!! Quiet obviously someone should have aquainted these (few ignorant) authors that the pen is mightier than the sword, (or to update it) e-mail!! Looking forward to spreading the word!!
Sincerely, De
Profile Image
I just went out and ended up bringing home 6 more NEW books. That makes 8 this WEEK!! I am so excited and am rushing through them to be able to release them!! Except for joining BC, I NEVER would have allowed myself such a splurge!! 7 more books bought than I would have without BC!!
Profile Image
I tried to release three books at my regular Sunday Starbucks haunt at Calvine and Elk-Grove Florin Road in Elk Grove, California. I was stunned when the cashier brought the books back to me saying, "I can't let you do this in here." According to her, "This is corporate policy."

Hmmmm. I've successfully released books at this location before. And the Starbuck's closest to my home has a bookshelf for the purpose of trading/borrowing books! In any case, I'm changing my Sunday haunt and don't plan to step foot in the other location. If it turns out to be corporate policy? Well, I will have to start drinking tea.
Profile Image
Although it may be up to the local, or perhaps even regional manager. I've successfully released books at 2 Starbucks. One has an Official Book Crossing Zone, about 40 miles from me, in southern PA. The other one was in Williamsburg, VA, and the book was journalled by an employee who was cleaning out the lost-and-found (oh, well, at least it was read, and not pitched).
If you wanted to pursue this some more, I would at least ask to speak to the store manager. Of course, if then they still didn't want you to do it, I guess you'd have to look elsewhere to release.
Good luck!
Profile Image
I've just published a children's book (www.myalienpenfriend.co.uk) and have set various copies travelling through Bookcrossing. Maybe some people might complain about "lost sales", but I think they are missing the point! It's opened my book up to a whole new audience - and it's fun!
Profile Image
I'm an indie author and can't wait to set my book free. I'm very curious as to who will read it and where it travels. No lost sales here. More like getting to know readers for me.

Cheers,
Ian O'Neill
http://www.ianoneill.ca
Profile Image
Hi. Couple of years ago I took part in a contest involving my novel Dreamer. It received a lot of responses and was a lot of fun for me. But it's a capitalistic world out there, folks. One of my readers emailed me recently with the news that an Amazon.com bookreseller named "mybooksource" has somehow snagged one of the released Dreamer books--and is now selling it on the Net. Sigh. Must have been through several readers beacause he's the low seller. He says: "Clean, tight, unmarked, except for the "BookCrossing" sticker on the first page."

Did I buy it back? Yep. Wouldn't you?

R. Miller
Profile Image
Why don't you record its BCID on Bookcrossing as a found book if you can still read the BCID then at least you get some idea where the book has been.
Profile Image
Why don't you record its BCID on Bookcrossing as a found book if you can still read the BCID then at least you get some idea where the book has been.
Profile Image
Profile Image
I haven't got a clue why the triple post. Sorry :)
Profile Image
> Did I buy it back? Yep. Wouldn't you?

Nope.

No more than if I'd seen a copy of a book I'd (hypothetically) written for sale in a second-hand store. Or at a garage sale. Elsewhere in the Site Watch forum is a link to a book which was wild-released by one bookcrosser and found by another in a thrift store. Apparently being sold on ebay was part of that copy of your book's journey - who knows, the next buyer might have jouraled it and wild-released again.

On the other hand, I'd be devastated if I found my book torn to pieces or left in the mud on the street! At least given the seller's description you know it's been taken care of.
Profile Image

lables

Profile Image
I am a small publisher, and I have always believed that whatever books are given away, whether to reviewers,friendly waitresses,caltrans crews, even homeless people, or just left on a park bench or on a cafe table--all of these giftings add to the possiblity that a book, especially one from a small press, will move out into the world. The piece about not getting any royalty doesn't ring true for the exact reasons you mentioned, and all in all it just smacks of the scarcity attitude that runs rampant today. Personally, I love the idea of this site, I love giving away my own books, and anything that encourages people to be generous is marvelous.
Thanks.
Barbara Henrioulle
http://www.channelingbikerbob.com
Profile Image
Hi Barbara,

I think you are correct. There is alot of misinformed people and companies running or slithering around. I do believe that some of the publishers are anti-bookcrossing not for the sake of BEING anti-bookcrossing but for the publicity that would be produced. The "woe is me" and "15 minutes of fame" for the publishing industry that is typically ignored by the mass media.

Similar for the RIAA, MPAA and software piracy industries - but that is another story with apparently fixed statistics by the industries.

jason
Profile Image
Going on the basis of being anti-bookcrossing for the sake of publicity, don't publishers and authors realise that bookcrossing IS publicity?
How many people have come to this site to see what books have been released into the wild, and / or to get a real persons review of a book they are thinking of buying?
Also if publishers released advanced previews of forthcoming books, lets say a chapter or two, through bookcrossing it could help generate interest in that book. Therefore more sales.
Profile Image
I absolutely agree with you because the fact is that the way I've discovered some favorite authors has been thru second hand discoveries.

I wouldn't buy her books, either! I'd get them in a second hand book store! : )
Profile Image
I joined BC in January of this year. I always considered myself as well read(doesn't everyone!!!?) - Time for a change there. I have read more books that I would never have read based on bi-monthly meets as well as forum posts, requests on BC Forums. There is a world of treasures just waiting to be discovered (both people and books.) As for booksales, I have noticed that I have been buying even more books either on Amazon or in bookshops. Bookcrossing is a salvation to book lovers everywhere. Before Bookcrossing, I used to depend on newspaper/magazine bookreviews which can be very limited(depending on what newspaper/magazine is undertaking the review.) BC can only be benficial to authors/publishers because it opens a whole new potential audience that may have otherwise remained dormant.
Profile Image
No, not at all - as you say, there are no royalties on secondhand books! You would hope that in an ideal world anyone who actually writes books would have an interest in just spreading the habit of reading. How many times have any of us picked up an odd tattered book from a shelf in a secondhand bookshop, charity shop, etc, on a subject they wouldn't have bought a book on (sorry, that is a terrible sentence but hopefully you get the drift:)) - and then you discover that it's actually a very good read!
In the last year I've bought more books than ever - some authors I've chanced on as 'secondhand' reads - and others from being able to order books online with my local library.
The more books we circulate, surely the more people read and the more books are sold....must be a good thing, I think:)
Profile Image
http://www.neilgaiman.com/---/dont-know-how-youll-feel-about-this.asp

and also here: http://www.neilgaiman.com/---/links-and-libraries-and-wheres-waldo.asp - particularly this part:

" http://www.thebookseller.com/?... and speaking as a member of the Society of Authors, I really hope this person doesn't formally complain about Bookcrossing, or that if she does, she's ignored.

It's like the woman who mounted the campaign against second-hand bookstores some years ago, claiming they were depriving authors of income. (I googled to find out who she was, but couldn't find it, although I remember reading articles in USA Today and People and several other places at the time.) The Enemy (as it were) is not Bookcrossing.com, or second-hand bookshops. The enemy is the fact that most people don't buy books. Most people don't read for pleasure. It's like the teachers who proudly stop kids reading R.L. Stine or Enid Blyton or comics or whatever, proud that they've stopped them reading the Wrong Things, without noticing that they've also stopped them reading for pleasure, reducing the chances that the kids will ever go on to read things that the teachers think of as the Right Things...

People lend each other books. That's a good thing. They recommend books to each other. That's how most people find authors they like, after all. Looking over at bookcrossing I can see at least 500 of my books floating around out there, some of them being posted all over the world, some of them being set free in interesting places. At some point, someone bought each and every one of those books. From here on out, the books are wandering around letting people discover whether or not they like what I write. It's viral. It's a good thing."

Which all just makes me love Neil Gaiman even more!
Profile Image
As an author who has just discovered this site, I look for exposure, not sales. The sales come later; this provides me a wonderful venue to reach readers. If people actually READ the books rather than simply BUY them, my sales should be helped in the long run. I appreciate this opportunity.
Profile Image
Welcome to Bookcrossing, girdlelady. Many authors have been introduced to potential readers here. We like your attitude!
Profile Image
I am also an author registerd with bookcrossing. I was wondering have you released any of your own books, those you have written, into the wild? I have cold feet about it, myself. That is why I am asking.
Profile Image
I don't think that bookcrossing is robbing anyone of anything because it is not like they are "stripped books" People paid for them so there for that person can do what ever they want with THEIR books!! They should be happy that people are encourageing people to read!!

Bubbly-Jolie
Profile Image
I agree with you
Profile Image
Personally, I feel that it may help future book sales. I am not likely to BUY a book by an author I have never read, but if I FIND one for free, I am more likely to read an uknown author.
Profile Image
Well, I can look at this two different ways. True, if you give one of my books, (I have been giving them away myself, the last batch went out today.) that means that person will never buy my novel. But, and it is a large but, if he/she likes the book she might tell all of her reading friends, who may in turn, check my novel, "fairy!: A Cautionary Tale" out at http://www.freewebs.com/acautionarytale/ So there are good and bad here at play.
Profile Image
Most of the books on my bookshelf have been bought new, I've registered them with this site for several reasons:-

1. Because I like to be able to let people know about my reading tastes - Giving a hyperlink to my bookshelf from my profiles on Myspace.com etc. gives this website more publicity, gives people a better insight into what I am into and gives the Authors free publicity.

2. Before Bookcrossing, I used to hoard books, like some dragon with a pile of gold - it didn't matter that I would probably never read a particular book ever again (with several thousand books, simply re-reading ones I already had would take several years non stop!) Now, I release books and have a great feelgood factor all day, making the world a library, one book at a time!

3. Being able to pass books on, but not neccessary losing contact with them, now means that I am now more willing to buy books that I would not have been willing to before - either because they are not my cup of tea or because I already had a copy at home - I am now buying a lot of books at car boot sales and charity shops with the intention of passing them on at some stage - my local bookcrossing group has benefited greatly in the last 3 months that I have been an active member!

4. Registering books and then taking them to Bookcrossing meetups, gives me the opportunity to rave on about a book or Author to other readers - this gives the Book / Author more free publicity. People are more willing to experiment with new things if they have had a personal recomendation! Bookcrossing should be on every Authors lips as a very positive experience!

5. Books have a natural lifecycle, everytime we read one, it gets a little more used, a little more battered. It enriches everyone who it passes though at a cost to itself - but some of those people may go out and buy a new copy to keep or pass on - every book will one day get to the point where it's pages are falling out, its spine will disintergrate, the cover will get ripped and the words will fade. Books may last longer on the shelf but enjoy themselves more being free and interacting with their readers!

6. I love wild releasing, not knowing into who's hands my book will pass next, maybe it will get picked up by someone and make their day (gifts are always nice!), maybe it will encurage that person to read other books by that Author / Subject, Maybe even finding itself in some far off distant land.....

7. Most books registered with Bookcrossing.com have only a few copies available - no impact on their Authors except publicity! the few Books which have hundreds of copies out there are the ones who are getting bought in their tens of thousands - so they are a drop in the ocean for the Author!

8. Bookcrossing changes lives for the better - and that is something you can't put a price on!
Profile Image
I have approached a couple of local authors and explained about bookcrossing while buying a couple of copies of their book with the intent of reading one and sending one on a bookring. The authors I have spoken with are usually already curious about bookcrossing or are new to it and excited by the idea of people worldwide reading their works.

I even had authors (very recently) give me bookmarks from their book promotions in order for me to include them with books I ship so that they can be promoted more easily.

As for me, I have been exposed to a far greater number of authors since becoming a bookcrosser than I ever would have otherwise and I often buy my own copy of the book I read in bookrings etc so I can reread it at some point.
Profile Image
Using the Author's logic--then libraries are also "robbing" her of income.
Profile Image
now lets all take a large step backwards, and i ask that you TRY to be as honest with yourselves when reading this, as i will TRY to be when writing.
The word author,... really think about what it truely means... what does one think about when putting his or her name on something... somthing THEY created... something THEY thought up all by themselves. OF course THEY want the credit... but dont we all when WE know we are right... we need the reward, we need to feel good about ourselves... But my friends WE cannot always think like that... We must think of the others, the others that helped us learn, that helped raise us, teach us... when we truely realize that form of selflessnes... like that of a parent, everything can connect so fast it is amazing... for then our conscience is truely clear, we will finally feel good about ourselves... not depending on others to lift us up, but depending on ourselves to help others... But my friends, one cant be taught everything, sometimes we must learn it for ourselves... No one here is perfect(why has reality's grip forced us into such an evil state... remeber, remember your youth, remeber history)... so doesnt that make us all DIFFERENT...
(trying to end with an enlightening statement... id call it a quote, but im not sure who or where i heard it from, feel free to write back with the answer... quid pro quo!): when YOU truely realize that we are always wrong, YOURSELF is always right... or is the latter post former?
Profile Image
And I didn't buy them in the 2nd Hand BookStore where I pour most of my cash. I bought them NEW! I know this thread has been around forever, but I wanted to add my own comment now, because it is still relevant.
Profile Image

Hunting

I can´t find any way to ask about the bookcrossing web site and its operation so I thought I would try here. I left a book in Merano, Italy about 4 weeks ago and up until a week ago it was still visable on this site but now it is no longer there. The book however is still there. Is there some place we can read how exactly this site works. Any place to suggest improvements? Ask questions or is this it?

Thanks

Antonio
Profile Image
As a published author, she's not losing snything except readers with her attitude. I have given away more of my books than I've sold, but they've gotten the pleasure of reading. I have no problem with giving them away.
Profile Image
This discussion is a moot point, beginning with the original post, because as they pointed out, second hand books do not generate additional royalties. The author must have had a reaction without thinking it through, most likely based on worries such as putting kids through college, paying the mortgage...you THINK that authors are living large, but most authors I know (including a ghost writer who puts out best-selling non-fiction) survive financially much as we do. I'm sure it was a knee-jerk reaction. And I've met plenty of authors who buy copies of their own books wholesale and resell on the net or at book talks, promoting themselves.

Emazing
Profile Image
I will soon be visiting Switzerland and finland. How can i find out if there ar any groups there and where they are?
Cheers
Veran
Profile Image
I completly and totaly agree.Just because a copy of a book someone has written is given to somebody else,Doesn't mean the person who wrote the book is losing one penny.
Profile Image
I can understand that authors have to make a living, and as jobs go it can't be an easy way of making money - not everyone can be Dan Brown (thank God).

What the author perhaps didn't appreciate is that most Bookcrossers are such ravenous consumers of literature that as well as swapping them they also buy books, both new and second hand, and use libraries too. And if the book that has been passed on in kindness turns the receiver on to that author, what's to say they won't go out and buy everything else they can find by them? That has certainly happened to me, when I discovered Jasper Fforde through Bookcrossing.
Profile Image
I am the author of three books. One of my books was found in the wild and commented upon. I appreciated the positive comment on The Dynamic Great Lakes, a book about the ever changing Great Lakes ecosystem.

I don't think anyone has found my poetry books in the wild yet, but maybe they will. My poetry books are entitled: The Wilderness Within and Sophia's Lost and Found: Poems of Above and below.

Barbara Spring
Profile Image

home

Is anybody online?
Profile Image
If she is a good writer, as the reader of one of her "free" books, I will be encouraged to BUY others.
Profile Image
As the author of a psychological thriller that's about to be published, here's my take.

For sure most authors make very little money from their work, and not all of them are writing for the sheer joy of creation. However, I seriously believe that the promotion of reading - by whatever means- benefits all of us, readers and writers. Bookcrossing seems to me to be an excellent way of increasing the number of books read. If I lose a few pence because someone captures one of my books, so be it - at least it was read (and enjoyed, I hope). If the reader liked my style she may well buy my next book, so I benefit in the end. No contest really - as another author said, I may even release a couple of copies of my own book just to see what happens.(Objects of Desire by CJ Emerson - published 16th October 2006)

Happy reading everyone

CJ Emerson
http://www.emmawood.co.uk
Profile Image

So close!

Perhaps if you edit your message to say something on the theme of "I'm an author whose (genre) novel will be out soon and all details about it can be found on my Bookshelf"-- then someone won't read the above response and (possibly) report it as Spam.

From the FAQ's:

"Q I am an author who has written that I believe to be a marvelous and essential book. May I use the site to promote my book?

A Congratulations on your book! While we do applaud our author members on a job well done, please keep in mind that BookCrossing is primarily a site for and about tracking books released in the wild. We do not condone posts or PMs created to sell or promote a product."
Profile Image

Re: So close!

> Perhaps if you edit your message to say
> something on the theme of "I'm an author
> whose (genre) novel will be out soon and
> all details about it can be found on my
> Bookshelf"-- then someone won't read the
> above response and (possibly) report it as Spam.

Let's not go overboard here. I find this message only very mildy promotional, and it was on topic. If anyone reports it as spam I fear their underwear is a bit too tight.
Profile Image
Yep, I hope nobody would herniate over this one.

Paul Judges, on the other hand (or underhand), has given me a permanent wedgie: http://bookcrossing.com/forum/6/3846236.
Profile Image
Whether her complaint is justified or not, I understand the author's concern. She is a living person with the same basic needs as you and I. If writing and publishing books is her way of making a living, it is only normal that she expects people to pay for her books.

I must admit however that I don't know all the rules about copyright. Books are a special commodity and as such they enjoy special protection, but the question is: how far should copyright be extended beyond their first purchase? Are there fixed rules or is it a matter of common sense and striking the right balance?

Apart from this I can of course also agree with you, the writer of this post. Writings as a form of artistic expression are bound to outlive their creator, as any author should know. Whether you have the intention to last or not, your words have this intrinsic time-resistant capability of continuing to reverberate in other people's minds, totally out of your control.
Profile Image
Whether her complaint is justified or not, I understand the author's concern. She is a living person with the same basic needs as you and I. If writing and publishing books is her way of making a living, it is only normal that she expects people to pay for her books.

I must admit however that I don't know all the rules about copyright. Books are a special commodity and as such they enjoy special protection, but the question is: how far should copyright be extended beyond their first purchase? Are there fixed rules or is it a matter of common sense and striking the right balance?

Apart from this I can of course also agree with you, the writer of this post. Writings as a form of artistic expression are bound to outlive their creator, as any author should know. Whether you have the intention to last or not, your words have this intrinsic time-resistant capability of continuing to reverberate in other people's minds, totally out of your control.
Profile Image
> I must admit however that I don't know all
> the rules about copyright.

Copyright doesn't come into it. Bookcrossers don't copy books. They merely give them away, as anyone is allowed to do with any book they own.
Profile Image
I am an author. My books are in e-book format and in pod paperback. I feel very uncomforatable about releasing any e-books becasue it seems it is just to easy to have it abused where anyone can read it free once you put it on a site like this.

I have released some paper back and hard back books in the wild and I have registered my own book. I have to say when I release books into the wild I do seem to be more concerned about them getting thrown away then the non-writers who release books. I feel better about trading them but releasing book into the wild is fun.

I definitely don't like the idea of books released in bookstores. That seems like a terrible idea. That does bother me, as I have seen a lot of books released into the wild at bookstores on this site.
Profile Image
I agree about releasing a book in a bookstore...I think if I was an employee there and saw it, I'd reshelve it unless it just obviously didn't belong to us (and it's VERY often hard to tell...especially if it's a used bookstore). And if I was a customer, I'd probably pick it up and try to pay for it. And if I was "going hunting"...I might avoid hunting that book for fear of getting accused of shoplifting if an employee didn't understand the difference between a bc book and their own. It's just not a good idea, overall.
Profile Image
I guess it is in a way. Much like people burning cds so they don't have to by them . It's a shame the world is so corporate, but I guess authors have to eat too! :(
Profile Image
If you haven't seen the thread on Announcements here it is

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/40

They (and most of their authors) think it's fantastic the way we promote books and reading!
Profile Image

That's great! :)

Profile Image
No. I agree with you.If anything if you found one of the authors books for free,read it and liked it, you would be more inclined to look for her books to buy in the future. So I think its free publicity for her! Whoever it was that said that, is obviously a half empty glass person.
Profile Image
No. I agree with you.If anything if you found one of the authors books for free,read it and liked it, you would be more inclined to look for her books to buy in the future. So I think its free publicity for her! Whoever it was that said that, is obviously a half empty glass person.
Profile Image
Another Hitchhiker

New Geocoin: Bookcrossing-Geocoin - a something else book

You can track this book at geocaching.com

You cach order in at http://www.my-geocoin.com

Dear greetings, Karen
Profile Image
I realize I'm chiming in way late on this discussion -- but if I'm any indication, authors really need not worry about losing revenues to book crossing members. In the two months I've been here, I've been 'gifted' a half dozen books. I've purchased at least three times that many...most of them new, and my wish list at Amazon grows by the day. Many of these titles are books I never would have known about, were it not for the friendly folks from bookcrossing. Multiply me by 83,000 other members here, and we're certainly not depriving authors of income.
Profile Image
Another late chimer here, as I just discovered Bookcrossing!

I'm a writer (CA Mobley) and I was thrilled to see three of my books listed as circulating with Bookcrossing members! Keep up the good work, folks! What a cool idea! I'd much rather my words were out entertaining someone else than sitting around getting dusty on a shelf. Yeah, I make my living as a writer, but I was a reader long before I sold my first book.
Cyn Mobley
http://www.dogbooks.org http://www.greyhoundchronicles.com
Profile Image
Thanks for dropping by, CynMobley! I took a few seconds to hunt around for your titles here on BookCrossing, and have jotted down the titles. I'll try to order a couple in at the store, and give 'em a read - I love finding new mystery authors, and the themes / Amazon reviews sound up to snuff that I could happily recommend 'em to those starved Clancy / Robinson fans...

'N8an
Profile Image
I love what you are doing with your books! We have 2 greyhound kennels across the road from me--they are wonderful animals! BC'ers,please buy these books to help save these wonderful animals!!
(No, I don't know Cyn, but I do know some greyhounds personally, and I know they will thank you!)
Profile Image
This is a great book by Dave Reynolds.It is an ebook click the link below to download it.

http://www.mobilehomeparkstore.com/---/mobile-home-park-investing.htm
Profile Image
I'm new to this whole book-crossing thing but I think it is a fab idea and I agree totally with your comments. Such authors as you rightly said should be encouraging reading rather than condemming the actions of such a club!
Profile Image
I'm new to this whole book-crossing thing but I think it is a fab idea and I agree totally with your comments. Such authors as you rightly said should be encouraging reading rather than condemming the actions of such a club!
Profile Image
....about bookcrossing hurting book sales....here is an article I submitted in Dec 06. Don't think it was published, so hopefully this isn't a repeat for anyone......
" In May 2005, I took a book called The Guests of War to a UK meetup. Written by Canadian author Kit Pearson. It's a children's book, (ages 9 — 14), that tells the story of 3 English siblings evacuated to Canada during WW2. The book was a Christmas gift to my son and daughter a few years back. Although they had outgrown it, I just couldn't part with it — until I got hooked on Bookcrossing.
I had no idea the impact that this book would have on UK Bookcrossers. (Thanks, Lyzzybee for putting it in a bookring.) It is truly LOVED. In emotional JE's some readers report they have wept while reading it. So far, The Guests of War, has gone from the UK, to the USA and back again, through 12 readers, and 41 Journal Entries. Last Fall, 2005 I sent Ms Pearson the JE's I had received up to that point. She sent a thank you via email. In October 2006 I sent her a 2nd batch, and was thrilled to share this postcard message with all involved: " Dear Madeleine, Heartfelt thanks for again sending me all the "bookring" messages about my books! Yes, the books are sold in separate volumes in the UK. I am so moved and astonished at the comments. Kit Pearson "
A while back, I read in Bookcrossing News that "Caroline Michel, the managing director of publisher Harper Press, said ......that (Bookcrossing) presents book publishing with "its very own potential Napster crisis".
My response to this is: Everyone in the UK knows about Margaret Atwood, but how many Bookring participants had ever heard of Kit Pearson before Lyzzybee's bookring? The Guests of War bookring has resulted in sales of this excellent trilogy — AND....who knows how many people will investigate other books by Ms. Pearson?

Profile Image
Hello!
A friend recommended this site and I decided to browse through it. Your concept is great since I am a booklover myself. But I'm viewing the site alone and I would like some guidance on how to "borrow" books or lend them to others.
I have already searched and there are certain books that I would want to leave a journal entry on. But I dunno how to do it or to find the ID of that particular book.
Please help. Thank you very much!
Profile Image
You can't put a journal entry into a book unless you have physically had it in hand as that is the only way to get its BCID. However, you can post your requests on Book Wish List forum, or send a polite PM to the owner of the bookshelf to see if they are willing to trade. If you are more interested in this type of swap, I'd suggest reading the Book Wish forum or if you want to do wild releases there is a ton of info in the Release Techniques forum. Happy BookCrossing.
Profile Image
many businesses give out free samples in the hope of capturing a new client that didnt know of them before...the business hopes to have that new "sampler" like what they found and then return on their own to buy regularly. Authors that have some one read their product may find the reader will look up additional titles to read, or want a personal copy for their own collection or to recommend to others... it's just good business to get yourself out there in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

:-))

Profile Image
Dead, and long forgotten, if anyone new of them at all, do you realize how many books, some that you may actually want to read before releasing, are languishing in Thrift Stores, and Used Book Stores?

Books that you can find for pennies, or for the price of a modern paperback, or Hardcover, or even far less?

I've discovered my Niche, in the past year, as a Bookcrosser, having already discovered some 1950's/60's era books that I gave a 2nd life to.

Yesterday this calling was re-confirmed with a visit to a used Bookstore, in the city of my youth, where I bought 9 hardcovers for $7:

I have not registered the books yet ( As is my usual, each will have a photo, if needed. ), but here are the publication dates of 5 of them:

No, your eyes are not deceiving you.... 1896. ;-D

With that last one it will truly be one last go round, due to its condition, but the Old Warhorse is still hanging together, though barely, and deserves the respect of my cooking up something SPECIAL.

The fun in finding books to Release this way also comes from what you might find written inside the cover, and/or on a page, and especially if some item was left inside the book.

Journal your discovery, and make sure that extra item/items stays with the book, at least for your Release.
Profile Image
I know all this has been covered in depth over the last few years, but I am amazed that a writer who can claim free distribution of used books is proportionately detrimental to their income actually has the imagination to write anything that sells. The idea that 50 free reads equals 50 lost sales is naive in the extreme. It is the same false logic that Rolex would use if I bought a £30 copy - I haven't deprived them of £1,000-the alternative would be NOT buying a Rolex.
I have just released into the wild a book that has never been on sale in this country-I bought it in the UK for 2 dollars equivalent, charity shop-as good as free. There is no way I would or could have paid the $25 cover price for someone of whom I had never heard. My "free read" so impressed me that I have asked the biggest bookshop around here to find me anything else by the same author-these will be full-price transactions. Where is the loss to the author in this? I have a row of books behind me by one author-his books themselves and the spin-offs in his name total about 35, maybe more-£500.00, maybe, about $1,000. I met him as a free book - wouldn't have tried him at all in a full-price situation. Following up my recommendation, three friends of mine buy his work regularly-at full price. Could someone explain to me how the author has lost out from this one free book that seeded my collection? I would think if anything he would be grateful for it. It might, I suppose, be harmful to an author whose work is so mediocre no reader would recommend it.
P.S. - the Rolex reference was just for argument-I dont own one,genuine ORfake.
Profile Image
I find all the opinions quite interesting. I can see how you can perceive bookcrossing in a negative way, but here is my take:

alternative one - I read a book and maybe lend it to a few people who might tell me whether they liked it or not. Then it sits on my bookshelf for the next 40 years.
alternative two - I read a book and write an online, searchable review, then give it to someone else, who may write an online, searchable review. Then, as I no longer have the book, when my friend comes up to me and asks for a book recommendation, instead of giving them the book to read, I actually give them the name of the book and author to go and read.

Plus, if bookcrossing is frowned upon like napster, then so should second-hand bookshops be. I don't understand how BXing is any different to resale. Particularly as with second-hand sellers, you can usually chase down a particular book. Bxing not so much.
Profile Image
the argument against BX is spurious... creating awareness for a work or author that might otherwise be unknown if its only potential to acquire was in a few bookstores at full cost is of untold value.

think of the sources of where one might be exposed to new material & tell me which one(s are) more appealing:
- recommended from a friend?
- on Oprah's list?
- hyped by expensive marketing?
- being forced to read it for class?
- on someone's bookshelf?
- given as a gift?
- on a remaindered table?
- sitting at the library?
- full price at select bookstores?
- sitting on a parkbench, begging you to take it for free?

the amount of nagging and despair i have to endure from my minimalist friend at my buying two or even 3 copies of books i like & think others should enjoy is proof postive, if anectodally, at how much currency a good book gets, and how this can create even better $currency$ ;-) for an author's work.

how many times does a single book, once sold, generate further profits for an author or a publisher each time it exchanges additional hands? yes, exactly, thank you.
Profile Image
I know this is an old thread but last night as I was starting a new book "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck, printed in 1958, she states,

"I am always glad when any of my books can be put into an inexpensive edition, because I like to think that any people who might wish to read them can do so. Surely books ought to be within the reach of everbody."

It reminded me of this thread.. so I thought I'd share. I am sure Pearl would have loved the idea of Bookcrossing.
Profile Image
If authors are going to complain about book crossing, not only should they complain about second hand book stores, but also about libraries. No one pays to read library books, but what author would ever complain about them? BookCrossing does the same thing.
Profile Image
I found this page in spanish.

http://www.mundodellibro.com

Profile Image
I'm certain there are a number of authors, living and deceased, who would be very pleased their titles are traveling globally with BookCrossing. At our last meeting of our San Antonio Interfaith Darfur Coalition (SAIDC), we shared our idea to launch a bookcrossing challenge to help build awareness for the ongoing genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan. To help explain the BookCrossing concept, we passed around a somewhat worn paperback copy of "Night" by Elie Wiesel. After the meeting one of the members asked if she could have the book to read and release. Soon after, she registered as a bookcrosser. Today, she donated a dozen brand new copies of Elie Wiesel's, "Night," to be specially labeled with our bookcrossing challenge labels for READ - Respond in Earnest Action for Darfur (http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/goldem1217), and released at an upcoming SAIDC event which will help educate the public about the crisis in Darfur. I think the author would be extremely happy with this new bookcrosser's actions!
Profile Image
No, definatly not, it was very hedonistic of her to think so. I am writting a fantasy novel at the moment, it will be a series called keepers of the Ualar, i am forteen at the moment and hope to have the first book published by the time i am sixteen, at least. hope people book cross it if it come out
Profile Image
Why hedonistic?
Profile Image
Why hedonistic? probably means narcissistic.
Profile Image
I am an author and I think Book Crossing is a great place for exposure for authors. I am currently celebrating 44 years in publishing and my work is known around the world through people sharing. This type of hype actually increases book sales for authors. The true die hard book lover will always find something good to read.
I find Book Crossing innovative, educational and the best thing I have ever found on the Internet.
Visit http://faithweb2.tripod.com and get a sneak preview of the Collectors Edition of my World Classic.

P.S. I am not in Oprah's Book Club, I think she missed this one!
Profile Image
As a published author, the first step I always do in my promotional campaign is to drop a couple of my galleys around several cities. An airport is a fabulous place to gain international exposure.
Profile Image
> I was reading through some of the press
> articles about this site and came across
> one article (I wish I could remember which
> one it was) where an author complained
> that Bookcrossing was depriving her of
> income. The reasoning? People were giving
> her books to strangers for free rather
> than buying them at a bookshop.

> I was stunned. An author will not receive
> a royalty from the sale of a second-hand
> book. This site is no more depriving her
> of cash than second hand bookshops do. It
> seems to me that writers ought to be
> grateful that sites such as this encourage
> people to read. Anyway, I thought her
> attitude was rather greedy and if I could
> remember who she was, I would make a point
> of not buying her books in the future.

> Am I the only person who feels like this?
> Is this site robbing authors of their
> rightful royalties?

Eventually the number of copies a book sells depends on how much publicity it has. A few free copies picked up because of the wonderful efforts of bookcrossing is sure to increase the publicity of the book and its eventual sales. Authors should celebrate such efforts
If i can give an example from another area, years ago a very popular word processing software was word perfect. It had very tight security, then MS word came along. it was easily copyable ( although now its illegal) and it became very popular as a result. In the end microsoft has made lot of money out of it
Profile Image

Hm.....

The majority of the writers that I love I found out through BookCrossing. That led me to go buy more books, so.... *ahem* What's the big deal?
Profile Image
I have a user guide for beginners wishing to set up a bookring (written for an author who contacted me and has done hers and is now roping some of her author mates into doing it!!) It's a word file, downloadable from:
http://tinyurl.com/ywnxq

It's tailored to authors, but useable by any beginner.
Profile Image
Although I am new to the site and have not set any books free in the name of bookcrossing yet I have been swopping books with friends for many years and by reading books of new authors in this way have been motivated to go and buy copies of other titles by the same author. So, rest easy authors, I don't think that swopping, setting free or buying books second hand will cost you sales.
Real readers, with a book budget, will just buy new books whether or not they have got some for free, the free ones just allow us to have more books than if you had to buy all of them new. And in that curious way that chocolate doesn't count as real food, second hand books seem to have a seperate budget because individually they are so cheap.

Profile Image
I am a writer and I have no problem with the whole BookCrossing concept. If anything, it is a great marketing ploy that can be used to get advanced copies of a book out to the people we writers write books for - readers! This in turn can create a buzz that could in fact generate sales (viral marketing at its finest). As has been stated time and time again in this thread, writers get no royalites when reader one hands said book over to reader two. But it is very possible that reader two, if he or she really likes the book, will go and buy their own copy and may purchase copies of that author' other books - resulting in more royalties. I write to get read. Money is nice and I'd certainly like more of it, but there's no point in writing it if nobody is reading it.
Profile Image
> I was reading through some of the press
> articles about this site and came
> across one article (I wish I could
> remember which one it was) where an
> author
> complained that Bookcrossing was depriving
> her of income. The reasoning?

Of course, she could have been so dense to think that she gets royalties on used books. And you have to feel bad for her that no one ever gave her a book they themselves had just lovingly read... that's at certain times more gratifying than a new book someone might receive simply because they had to buy you something...
Profile Image
My book, that is!

A friend told me about BookCrossing. I'd never heard of it, so came here to see what the buzz was about. What an ingenious idea! I can assure you that as an author, I have no problem with people sharing my books. I appreciate every new reader this site my give me.

Happy reading, everyone!

Sandra Kring
Author of Carry Me Home and The Book of Bright Ideas
Profile Image
What a wonderful thought. Thanks for posting, and welcome!
Profile Image

'free' books

I have found that when I pick up a bookcrossing book in my travels I often discover a new genre or author i had never before had exposure to which often sends me straight to a bookstore to spend some cash.

Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.