corner corner CLOSED - CLASSICS SWEEPSTAKES - FIRST ROUND IN 2018

Forum | << (Not-So-) Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

CLOSED - CLASSICS SWEEPSTAKES - FIRST ROUND IN 2018

Happy New Year 2018!

I was the last winner from 2017, and it's my turn to host. I hope I will see all of you again in this round.

The rules, copied from the previous rounds, with some editing (I have kept Olivia-Lo's improvements too!)

This sweeps is INTERNATIONAL!

Of course, this sweepstakes is for classic stories such as any of the Charles Dickens, Austin, Bronte, F Scott Fitzgerald and so on, within which modern classics and children classics are also included.

However, non-western classics are also immensely welcome, so, take Chinese classics as an example, Dream of the Red Chamber, Journey to the West or Romance of the Three Kingdoms are absolutely fine here. I'm sure it will be interesting to compare how the same universal ideas are conveyed in different cultures.

~~IF YOU THINK YOU CANNOT SEND A PARCEL, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS SWEEP, IT WILL BE UNFAIR FOR THE REST~~

Closing date: January, 31st, 2018

1) Post here if you wish to enter!
2) PM me with your name and your address. Please be sure to put CLASSICS SWEEPSTAKE in the header. (No PM = No entry).
3) You may also enter as 'send only', just note it here.
4) Winner will be drawn shortly after closing date and everyone will get a PM with the address and name of the winner.
5) Decoy will also be drawn, so that the winner will not know they have won till their acts of kindness start to arrive.
6) Please keep the winner a secret, it is more fun that way!
7) The winner of this contest must agree to hold the next round of this sweep again in a couple of months’ time.
8) If you are the winner, please post here the goodies that you received, so that we all share your joy!

Participants:
mcsar (Canada) DECOY - (Received)
Abi-Gibby (UK) (Received)
Bookwormess (Finland) WINNER - Congrats! :)
Estelle1806 (Ireland) (Received)
Fifna (The Netherlands) (Received)

Send only:
Bookworm-lady (Spain) (Received)
Bookfrogster (Scotland) (Received)
Lamilla (Belarus) (Received)
Cassandra2020 (Scotland) (Received)
Emmejo (U.S.A.)(Received)
Elstaplador (UK) (Received)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Happy New Year 2018!

I was the last winner from 2017, and it's my turn to host. I hope I will see all of you again in this round.

The rules, copied from the previous rounds, with some editing (I have kept Olivia-Lo's improvements too!)

This sweeps is INTERNATIONAL!

Of course, this sweepstakes is for classic stories such as any of the Charles Dickens, Austin, Bronte, F Scott Fitzgerald and so on, within which modern classics and children classics are also included.

However, non-western classics are also immensely welcome, so, take Chinese classics as an example, Dream of the Red Chamber, Journey to the West or Romance of the Three Kingdoms are absolutely fine here. I'm sure it will be interesting to compare how the same universal ideas are conveyed in different cultures.

~~IF YOU THINK YOU CANNOT SEND A PARCEL, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS SWEEP, IT WILL BE UNFAIR FOR THE REST~~

Closing date: January, 31st, 2018

1) Post here if you wish to enter!
2) PM me with your name and your address. Please be sure to put CLASSICS SWEEPSTAKE in the header. (No PM = No entry).
3) You may also enter as 'send only', just note it here.
4) Winner will be drawn shortly after closing date and everyone will get a PM with the address and name of the winner.
5) Decoy will also be drawn, so that the winner will not know they have won till their acts of kindness start to arrive.
6) Please keep the winner a secret, it is more fun that way!
7) The winner of this contest must agree to hold the next round of this sweep again in a couple of months’ time.
8) If you are the winner, please post here the goodies that you received, so that we all share your joy!

Participants:
mcsar (Canada) DECOY - (Received)
Abi-Gibby (UK) (Received)
Bookwormess (Finland) WINNER - Congrats! :)
Estelle1806 (Ireland) (Received)
Fifna (The Netherlands) (Received)

Send only:
Bookworm-lady (Spain) (Received)
Bookfrogster (Scotland) (Received)
Lamilla (Belarus) (Received)
Cassandra2020 (Scotland) (Received)
Emmejo (U.S.A.)(Received)
Elstaplador (UK) (Received)
Profile Image
As send only thanks. :-)
Profile Image
As send only thanks. :-)

Thanks for being first... :)
Profile Image

I'm in.

I have something in mind.
Profile Image
I have something in mind.

Welcome! :)
Profile Image
As a have a good book in mind.

Profile Image

send only

please
Profile Image
Good to see you back in this new year... :)
Profile Image
Bump! :)
Profile Image
Bump! :)
Profile Image
Come on, we need more participants!
Profile Image
We need more participants in order to make it interesting... :(
Profile Image
Think I need to be send only this time though
Profile Image
Think I need to be send only this time though

Yes, of course. Welcome! :)
Profile Image
Bump!
Profile Image
Thanks for hosting!
Profile Image
Thanks for hosting!

Brilliant! You're in! :)
Profile Image
I've been thinking about this and decided to join the fun. I'm really really really scared of classics, but everytime I read one it's usually great. So, let's face the music. :) (And hey, you need another participant. ;)
Profile Image
I've been thinking about this and decided to join the fun. I'm really really really scared of classics, but everytime I read one it's usually great. So, let's face the music. :) (And hey, you need another participant. ;)

Indeed I do!
Thank you sooo much; let's make this more interesting.
Welcome, and good luck! :)
Profile Image
Thanks!
Profile Image
Thanks!

Welcome! :)
Profile Image

Yes please!

PM on the way.
Profile Image

I'm in!

PM coming straightaway.
Profile Image
You're both in, ladies... this is shaping nicely at the last minute! :)
Profile Image
Please shout if you haven't got yours...
One lucky winner will be receiving ten classics from all over the world... and then we have our lucky decoy, of course...
Thank you all for playing... and now the fun starts! :)
Profile Image
Hope it won't take too too long.
Profile Image
Hope the winner likes what I chose for them. :-)
Profile Image
Profile Image
... as I forgot it yesterday...
Profile Image
Profile Image
Oh my! I had "The Secret Garden" waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home from work. Thank you so much Abi-Gibby! :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14857068
Profile Image
Hope you enjoy it, it's one of my faveorite classics
Profile Image
Hope the recipient enjoys it
Profile Image
I received a book from Lamilla too, so I guess I'm the lucky winner. Wow! Thank you. :)

Lamilla sent me "A Room with a View" by E. M. Forster http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13640742
Profile Image
Congrats to the winner... and enjoy! :)
Profile Image
Congratulations bookwormess!
Profile Image
Your book arrived yesterday, A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. I've never heard of it before, but that's the beauty of Bookcrossing. :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12870094
Profile Image
In the end of the week I've received quite many packages, thank you all.

elstaplador sent me "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier with a bag of Haribo sweets (yummy!) http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9996351

bookfroster sent "Agnes Grey" by Anne Brontë, will be my first one from the Brontë sisters. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14709345

estelle1806 sent "The Children of the New Forest" by Captain Marryat, a book that's quite unfamiliar to me. Thank you also for the two beautiful bookmarks and the tea. :) http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13404065

Bookworm-lady sent me "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I've read it some years ago but I think it's time to read it again. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14423087

Thank you all so much!
Profile Image
I guess you are no longer scared of classics, but enjoying them... :)
Congrats again!
Profile Image
I guess you are no longer scared of classics, but enjoying them... :)
Congrats again!

Thank you! Honestly, I'm still a bit scared, but now I have a pile to help me conquer my fear. :) And quite a pile it is, the books vary from very old classics to children books and books I've never heard of.
Profile Image
Sorry for the delay, but at least this time it wasn't my fault!

I have been trying for weeks to get the USPS's online custom forms to work, and they kept giving me an error message instead of the printable form. They finally went through this morning--in the middle of a snow storm where we are expecting 8 inches/20 cm of snow! At least the package is in the mail now, and hopefully won't encounter too many more delays.
Profile Image
Received a parcel on Thursday (I think) but forgot to tell you all what I received. Cassandra2020 sent me "1984" by George Orwell. This one should be very interesting one to read! Thank you!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7675365
Profile Image
Thank you mcsar for the books. I received another copy of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, must mean that I really must read it. :) I love the card!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14669117
Profile Image
It is a good one, a true classic. And yes, all signs say you must read this now. Enjoy the book, and all your other wonderful classics.
Profile Image
Our mail just crossed. Thank you Bookwormess for Sense and Sensibility. This is one book I would not mind rereading.
Profile Image
I received a modern classic, James Herriot's Dog Stories. Thank you so much, I'm sure I will enjoy this one. :)
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14773079
Profile Image
Thank you all, I have so many classics to read. Lot's of books I probably wouldn't have picked myself, but still they're quite fascinating. :)

I'll open the new one in few weeks.
Profile Image
Thanks for making this a successfull sweeps.
Bookwormess and mcsar, enjoy your books, and congrats on winning!
Looking forward to the new round, this is always fun.
May I draw your attention to my INTL March-April Sweeps? I need more players...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.