corner corner CLOSED Authors from unusual countries sweepstakes - January 2018

Forum | << (Not-So-) Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

CLOSED Authors from unusual countries sweepstakes - January 2018

It's time for the new round of this sweepstakes. Come and join everybody, you're guaranteed to meet authors you've never read (or probably even heard of) before!

This sweepstake works in the same way as any other sweepstake, but here you send the winner a book by an author from an unusual country, i.e. one which is not too common, e.g. Libya, Mali, Vietnam, Honduras, Jordan, etc. Try to consider what could be unusual for the winner, rather than just yourself, although I'm sure everyone appreciates a good book even if it's not the most unusual choice in the world ;)

Here are the rules:

1. Post here in this thread to enter AND PM me with your mailing details. Please put 'Unusual Countries' in the subject line of your PM. If you are "send only", a PM is not necessary, of course.

2. I will draw 2 names (one winner and one decoy) at the end of January. I’ll PM everyone with the name and address of the winner (the winner will obviously be PM’ed with the name and address of the decoy).

3. You are expected to send a book by an author from an unusual country to the winner. You may include other small gifts if you wish, but sending the book itself is MANDATORY. Please remember that this is an international sweepstake, so you will be expected to send INTERNATIONALLY.

4. Please don’t let the winner know they have won, either by posting here or by PM, it’s much more fun if the packages start arriving out of the blue!

5. As the packages start to arrive, the winner must journal the books in a timely fashion and also post here what they have received and from whom, as it’s fun for everyone who’s entered to see what the winner has got.

6. The winner will host the next round. If you know you will be unable to host the next round, please do not enter. Let’s keep this sweepstake going :)

Who's in? Come join!

mcsar - RECEIVED
Annimanni - RECEIVED
sedna5213 - RECEIVED
kiwiinengland - RECEIVED
J4shaw - RECEIVED
Edwardstreet - RECEIVED

Send only:

sakirmo - RECEIVED
conto - RECEIVED
bookfrogster - RECEIVED
yorkshire-lass - RECEIVED
Andrea99 - RECEIVED

WINNER: J4shaw
DECOY: mcsar

Complete Thread

Profile Image
It's time for the new round of this sweepstakes. Come and join everybody, you're guaranteed to meet authors you've never read (or probably even heard of) before!

This sweepstake works in the same way as any other sweepstake, but here you send the winner a book by an author from an unusual country, i.e. one which is not too common, e.g. Libya, Mali, Vietnam, Honduras, Jordan, etc. Try to consider what could be unusual for the winner, rather than just yourself, although I'm sure everyone appreciates a good book even if it's not the most unusual choice in the world ;)

Here are the rules:

1. Post here in this thread to enter AND PM me with your mailing details. Please put 'Unusual Countries' in the subject line of your PM. If you are "send only", a PM is not necessary, of course.

2. I will draw 2 names (one winner and one decoy) at the end of January. I’ll PM everyone with the name and address of the winner (the winner will obviously be PM’ed with the name and address of the decoy).

3. You are expected to send a book by an author from an unusual country to the winner. You may include other small gifts if you wish, but sending the book itself is MANDATORY. Please remember that this is an international sweepstake, so you will be expected to send INTERNATIONALLY.

4. Please don’t let the winner know they have won, either by posting here or by PM, it’s much more fun if the packages start arriving out of the blue!

5. As the packages start to arrive, the winner must journal the books in a timely fashion and also post here what they have received and from whom, as it’s fun for everyone who’s entered to see what the winner has got.

6. The winner will host the next round. If you know you will be unable to host the next round, please do not enter. Let’s keep this sweepstake going :)

Who's in? Come join!

mcsar - RECEIVED
Annimanni - RECEIVED
sedna5213 - RECEIVED
kiwiinengland - RECEIVED
J4shaw - RECEIVED
Edwardstreet - RECEIVED

Send only:

sakirmo - RECEIVED
conto - RECEIVED
bookfrogster - RECEIVED
yorkshire-lass - RECEIVED
Andrea99 - RECEIVED

WINNER: J4shaw
DECOY: mcsar
Profile Image

Love to join.

I am in again. So many interesting new finds for this sweepstakes.
Profile Image
This sounds like my kind of thing :) PM on its way.
Profile Image
Still send only, though.
Profile Image
PM is coming.
Profile Image
As send only this time.
Profile Image

Back to page 1

Profile Image
Profile Image
So yes please
Profile Image

Bump!

Plenty of space for more players, come along!
Profile Image
I will PM you
Profile Image

bump.....

Profile Image
to join, I'll draw the winner next weekend!
Profile Image

Last chance!

Drawing tomorrow or Sunday, whenever is a convenient moment...
Profile Image

Random.org

has picked the winner(s)... PM's will be sent shortly.

** EDIT: pm's sent. I received a copy of each one but if yours didn't reach you, let me know!

(apologies in advance to the winner: my book will be somewhat delayed as I need to read something first...)
Profile Image
My book will be sent tuesday.
Profile Image
I've ordered a book to be sent directly to the winner from AwesomeBooks, when books start arriving I will PM the winner with the BCID
Profile Image
Congrats to the winner and thanks to sakirmo for hosting.
Profile Image
.....today but it went slow boat......!
Profile Image
So hopefully it will get there soon. :-)
Profile Image
as I just found out, when preparing to mail, that the winner has read the book I intended to send. So I have to find something else.
Profile Image
Have I won? Today I received from J4shaw the House of Ashes by Monique Roffey. It looks like an interesting novel by an award-winning Trinidadian-born writer. Thank you, I look forward to this read.
Profile Image
3 books arrived today from various locations - New Zealand, Belgium and Germany.

Thank you to sedna5213 for "The Beggar and the Hare" (Finland) by Tuomas Kyrö
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14338508

Thank you to Edwardstreet for "Maps for Lost Lovers" (Pakistan) by Nadeem Aslam
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14449924

Thank you also to whomever sent me "Waiting for an Angel" (Nigeria) by Helon Habila. There was no BCID on this one, so not sure of the the sender.

All 3 books are ones I haven't heard of before, so am looking forward to reading them all.
Who knows, maybe this will be the year I manage to complete the 666 - an around the world reading challenge!

Edited to add - just realised that "Waiting for an Angel" is a Wishlist book of mine! Wondered why I was so very taken with it!
I have also been notified that it has come from yorkshire-lass - thank you!
Profile Image
Congratulations! ;)
I didn't want to say it before, but now I can: I sent mine surface mail, so it'll probably take a while to get there, ok? Enjoy the book shower!!
Profile Image

Sent today.

Congratulations, J4shaw!
Profile Image
Sorry for the slight delay!
Profile Image
Sorry for the slight delay!

Oh boy, has my book gone missing? It's been on its way for a month already :( I used the economy option but I think it should have arrived by now anyway.
Profile Image
I've actually been sick and not checked the mailbox for 2 days, so maybe they arrived over the course of a few days. Nonetheless, it was lovely to open a bludging mailbox today!

Sweden "Missing" by Karin Alvtegen from Andrea99
I do enjoy Swedish crime novels, and this author I believe is dubbed "The Queen of Crime in Scandinavia"!

Antigua "Mr.Potter" by Jamaica Kincaid from Conto
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7098843

Israel "Four Mothers" by Shifra Horn from Bookfrogster
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14645503

Pakistan "I Am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai from Mcsar
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14815560

Thank you everyone!
Profile Image
That was quick after all. Nice!
Profile Image
Cuba "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara from kiwiinengland
&
Saudi Arabia "Mirage" by Bandula Chandraratna from sakirmo

Thank you both so very much, both look fantastic reads!
Profile Image
The book you sent arrived with me today.
"I Served the King of England" by Czech writer Bohumil Hrabal. The story is set in Prague in the 1940s.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11135822
Profile Image

All done

so let's wrap this up then! Thank you everyone for playing & do come back for the next round as well :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.