corner corner [Closed] Classics Sweepstakes October 2017

Forum | << (Not-So-) Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

[Closed] Classics Sweepstakes October 2017

I've done some counting, and although this sweepstakes is sometimes not easy to get people enlisted, so far we've gone through at least 9 rounds and it has lasted for more than two and a half years!!! That's pretty impressive don't you think? And there's always some die-hard participants :)

A teacher of mine who studies Shakespeare once said something along the lines of, "People still study Shakespeare because his works have a kind of universality so you can always apply it any time and any place." That's basically what a classic is. Classics are classics because they convey certain ideas that are never outdated with time passing.

So, why not join the fun?! Even if you've read all classics (which is quite unlikely considering the thousands of years human civilization has been here for), with each re-reading, you can get something new out of them. Come, avid readers!

The rules, copied from the previous rounds, with some editing:

This sweeps is INTERNATIONAL!

As the title mentioned, I've tweaked the definition of classics a bit, in the hope of attracting more participants and accommodating wider range of works, without losing the essence of this sweeps. Of course, this sweepstakes is for classic stories such as any of the Charles Dickens, Austin, Bronte, F Scott Fitzgerald and so on, within which modern classics and children classics are also included.

However, I have sent and received a fantasy and a sci-fi classic respectively before, too. Non-western classics are also immensely welcome, so, take Chinese classics as an example, Dream of the Red Chamber, Journey to the West or Romance of the Three Kingdoms are absolutely fine here. I'm sure it will be interesting to compare how the same universal ideas are conveyed in different cultures.

I'm not sure if you guys are happy about these changes. If you have any thoughts or doubts, please do put it forward. Let's make this sweepstakes strive :)

~~IF YOU THINK YOU CANNOT SEND A PARCEL, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS SWEEP, IT WILL BE UNFAIR FOR THE REST~~

Closing date: October, 31st, 2017

1) Post here if you wish to enter!
2) PM me with your name and your address. Please be sure to put CLASSICS SWEEPSTAKE in the header. (No PM = No entry).
3) You may also enter as 'send only', just note it here.
4) Winner will be drawn shortly after closing date and everyone will get a PM with the address and name of the winner.
5) Decoy will also be drawn, so that the winner will not know they have won till their acts of kindness start to arrive.
6) Please keep the winner a secret, it is more fun that way!
7) The winner of this contest must agree to hold the next round of this sweep again in a couple of months’ time.
8) If you are the winner, please post here the goodies that you received, so that we all share your joy!

Participants:
Bookworm-lady
mcsar
bluezwuzl
Cassandra2020
Trojanhorse

Send only:
Olivia_Lo
Lubiette
rainbow3

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I've done some counting, and although this sweepstakes is sometimes not easy to get people enlisted, so far we've gone through at least 9 rounds and it has lasted for more than two and a half years!!! That's pretty impressive don't you think? And there's always some die-hard participants :)

A teacher of mine who studies Shakespeare once said something along the lines of, "People still study Shakespeare because his works have a kind of universality so you can always apply it any time and any place." That's basically what a classic is. Classics are classics because they convey certain ideas that are never outdated with time passing.

So, why not join the fun?! Even if you've read all classics (which is quite unlikely considering the thousands of years human civilization has been here for), with each re-reading, you can get something new out of them. Come, avid readers!

The rules, copied from the previous rounds, with some editing:

This sweeps is INTERNATIONAL!

As the title mentioned, I've tweaked the definition of classics a bit, in the hope of attracting more participants and accommodating wider range of works, without losing the essence of this sweeps. Of course, this sweepstakes is for classic stories such as any of the Charles Dickens, Austin, Bronte, F Scott Fitzgerald and so on, within which modern classics and children classics are also included.

However, I have sent and received a fantasy and a sci-fi classic respectively before, too. Non-western classics are also immensely welcome, so, take Chinese classics as an example, Dream of the Red Chamber, Journey to the West or Romance of the Three Kingdoms are absolutely fine here. I'm sure it will be interesting to compare how the same universal ideas are conveyed in different cultures.

I'm not sure if you guys are happy about these changes. If you have any thoughts or doubts, please do put it forward. Let's make this sweepstakes strive :)

~~IF YOU THINK YOU CANNOT SEND A PARCEL, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS SWEEP, IT WILL BE UNFAIR FOR THE REST~~

Closing date: October, 31st, 2017

1) Post here if you wish to enter!
2) PM me with your name and your address. Please be sure to put CLASSICS SWEEPSTAKE in the header. (No PM = No entry).
3) You may also enter as 'send only', just note it here.
4) Winner will be drawn shortly after closing date and everyone will get a PM with the address and name of the winner.
5) Decoy will also be drawn, so that the winner will not know they have won till their acts of kindness start to arrive.
6) Please keep the winner a secret, it is more fun that way!
7) The winner of this contest must agree to hold the next round of this sweep again in a couple of months’ time.
8) If you are the winner, please post here the goodies that you received, so that we all share your joy!

Participants:
Bookworm-lady
mcsar
bluezwuzl
Cassandra2020
Trojanhorse

Send only:
Olivia_Lo
Lubiette
rainbow3
Profile Image
PMing you now; thanks for setting this up.
I love the text you have added to the instructions, by the way; I hope you'll get many participants, because the more, the merrier.
Profile Image

And one more!

I love classics.
Profile Image
I've revised the content a bit.
Please take a look.
Profile Image
Profile Image
Profile Image
As send only.
Profile Image
Thank you :D
Profile Image

Bump!

Profile Image

Bump

Let's keep it in first page. Join in readers, such a nice sweeps !
Profile Image
Send only thanks. I'll PM you.
Profile Image

O.K.

There should be something around... ;-)
Please count me in.
Profile Image
Thank you very much for joining!
Profile Image
....please can I join in?
Profile Image
You know what my answer will be... of course you can!
I don't seem to have your address, can you please send a PM to me?
Profile Image

Back to page 1

Profile Image

Bump!

I'll close it for further entry tomorrow.
Don't hesitate anymore. Just join the fun :)
Profile Image
Ok sign me up. I love a good classic and I have just the book to send.
PMing you now.
Profile Image
This is great! Thank you for joining.
Profile Image
PMs sent.
Profile Image
Thanks, I've received my PM. I'll try and get something in the post on the weekend.
Profile Image
Book in the mail to the lucky winner :)
Profile Image
Will get my book posted asap
Profile Image
I can't believe it! I have won again! (Jumping up and down!)

Thanks for introducing me to a mystery writer I'd never heard about:

"Sergeant Cluff Stands Firm", by Gil North
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14181241/

A murder in Yorkshire... wow! Just what I like!
Thanks for the lovely postcard too.
I've won! I've won!! :)
Profile Image
Mine is in the mail. As usual, it will be take some time to reach you. Enjoy all your classics.
Profile Image
Thanks for one of my all-time favourite books:

"Death on the Nile", by Agatha Christie
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14790139/

Thanks for the lovely postcard and bookmark as well... Well worth re-reading!
Profile Image
Thanks for sending:

"Around the World in Eighty Days"
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14613235/

I love the Wallace and Gromit cover!
Thanks for the most adequate hot-air balloon bookmark, and for the lovely Stratford-upon-Avon postcard and your nice note... this brings back some happy memories of my time in England! :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.