corner corner closed + pm`s sent: A CELTIC & IRISH TRADITION: SAMHAIN (5th itl. MEDIEVAL EXCHANGE) 31.10.2017 - 01.11.2017

Forum | << (Not-So-) Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

closed + pm`s sent: A CELTIC & IRISH TRADITION: SAMHAIN (5th itl. MEDIEVAL EXCHANGE) 31.10.2017 - 01.11.2017

Hello dear bookcrossers,

we are still in the hot summer-time but autumn and the dark season coming soon ....

"Samhain" is a Gaelic festival held on October 31–November 1 in medieval Ireland, Scotland ("Samhainn") and Wales ("Nos Galan Gaeaf and Calan Gaeaf"). It was linked to festivals held around the same time in other Celtic cultures, and was popularised as the "Celtic New Year" from the late 19th century. It is seen as a festival of darkness, which is balanced at the opposite point of the wheel by the spring festival of "Beltane", celebrated as a festival of light and fertility. The medieval Celtic festival of "Samhain" marked the end of the harvest, the end of the "lighter half" of the year and beginning of the "darker half". Bonfires played a large part in the festivities. The festival was also an ideal date for tribal assemblies, where the local kings gathered their people. These gatherings in turn are a popular setting for early Irish tales.

"Samhain" is also celebrated as a religious festival by some people (evening before All Saints Day) in these regions.

Over time, the night of 31 October came to be called “All Hallows' Eve”. So Samhain is the historical origin of "Halloween".

If you are interested in an exchange which has to do with that sort of medieval halloween festival feel free to take part in it.

And here we go again:

I will draw names and you will send your secret person a "Samhain parcel". Include a book (of course) of your choice and some TREAT, anything, seasonal, or related to autumn or that festival, traditions, regions or themes (Ireland, Scotland, Wales or other regions where similar festivals are held, the Celtic culture, fairies and tales, calendar, harvest, dark & light, celtic or irish music ….). You can also include ideas which have to do with "Saints" or “autumn” for that season. It doesn't have to be anything big ... sweets, cards, decorations, calendars, self-made cd`s, hand-made stuff/things, whatever ... use your imagination, be creative!

(1) Post here by October 11th if interested.

(2) PM your address and shipping preference to me. This is international, but I understand needing to mail cheaply. If you need to stay with a certain country or whatever, just let me know. Also, send me your MAILING ADDRESS, even if you have sent it to me for other exchanges ....

(3)PLEASE PUT “SAMHAIN MEDIEVAL EXCHANGE 2017” IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR PM.

(4) I will draw soon after October 11th. The person who has your name will most likely be different from the person who you have.

(5) Post here when you get your parcel and let us know what you have received, post here even if you don't plan to open it right away. That way your partner knows their parcel arrived safe and sound.

(6) ALL serious bookcrossers who plan to keep their commitments can join. If there's a problem, please feel free to let me know so that I or another participant can help. We'll work something out.

(7) Please mail your parcel by October 20th, ASAP, or sooner if your parcel has a long way to travel. They should arrive by November 1st.

Thanks to all who have made these exchanges so fun!

Okay everyone! Come join the fun!!!

Participants (no special order):

1. bookworm-lady, Spain
2. Arvores, Portugal
3. Abi-Gibby, UK
4. Poodlesister, UK
5. MargaridaPires, Portugal
6. NowINkA, Poland
7. chawoso, Germany
8. Releanna, Austria
9. Mankyi, Switzerland
10. bossmare, USA
11. herchelle, Canada
12. Palwasha, Germany

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello dear bookcrossers,

we are still in the hot summer-time but autumn and the dark season coming soon ....

"Samhain" is a Gaelic festival held on October 31–November 1 in medieval Ireland, Scotland ("Samhainn") and Wales ("Nos Galan Gaeaf and Calan Gaeaf"). It was linked to festivals held around the same time in other Celtic cultures, and was popularised as the "Celtic New Year" from the late 19th century. It is seen as a festival of darkness, which is balanced at the opposite point of the wheel by the spring festival of "Beltane", celebrated as a festival of light and fertility. The medieval Celtic festival of "Samhain" marked the end of the harvest, the end of the "lighter half" of the year and beginning of the "darker half". Bonfires played a large part in the festivities. The festival was also an ideal date for tribal assemblies, where the local kings gathered their people. These gatherings in turn are a popular setting for early Irish tales.

"Samhain" is also celebrated as a religious festival by some people (evening before All Saints Day) in these regions.

Over time, the night of 31 October came to be called “All Hallows' Eve”. So Samhain is the historical origin of "Halloween".

If you are interested in an exchange which has to do with that sort of medieval halloween festival feel free to take part in it.

And here we go again:

I will draw names and you will send your secret person a "Samhain parcel". Include a book (of course) of your choice and some TREAT, anything, seasonal, or related to autumn or that festival, traditions, regions or themes (Ireland, Scotland, Wales or other regions where similar festivals are held, the Celtic culture, fairies and tales, calendar, harvest, dark & light, celtic or irish music ….). You can also include ideas which have to do with "Saints" or “autumn” for that season. It doesn't have to be anything big ... sweets, cards, decorations, calendars, self-made cd`s, hand-made stuff/things, whatever ... use your imagination, be creative!

(1) Post here by October 11th if interested.

(2) PM your address and shipping preference to me. This is international, but I understand needing to mail cheaply. If you need to stay with a certain country or whatever, just let me know. Also, send me your MAILING ADDRESS, even if you have sent it to me for other exchanges ....

(3)PLEASE PUT “SAMHAIN MEDIEVAL EXCHANGE 2017” IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR PM.

(4) I will draw soon after October 11th. The person who has your name will most likely be different from the person who you have.

(5) Post here when you get your parcel and let us know what you have received, post here even if you don't plan to open it right away. That way your partner knows their parcel arrived safe and sound.

(6) ALL serious bookcrossers who plan to keep their commitments can join. If there's a problem, please feel free to let me know so that I or another participant can help. We'll work something out.

(7) Please mail your parcel by October 20th, ASAP, or sooner if your parcel has a long way to travel. They should arrive by November 1st.

Thanks to all who have made these exchanges so fun!

Okay everyone! Come join the fun!!!

Participants (no special order):

1. bookworm-lady, Spain
2. Arvores, Portugal
3. Abi-Gibby, UK
4. Poodlesister, UK
5. MargaridaPires, Portugal
6. NowINkA, Poland
7. chawoso, Germany
8. Releanna, Austria
9. Mankyi, Switzerland
10. bossmare, USA
11. herchelle, Canada
12. Palwasha, Germany

Profile Image
It's that time of the year again... almost!
Please let me be first; thanks for setting this up, always fun...
PMing you now.
Profile Image
My first time in this celebration! :-)
Thank you
Profile Image
PM sent!
Profile Image

Yes please!

PM on the way.
Profile Image

Yes, please!

It's such a fun! Thanks for organizing again!
Profile Image

Interested!

Thank you
Profile Image
A little weekend bump... come on, this is fun! :)
Profile Image
I'd love to join this. Int'l is so expensive I can really only afford US with parcels.
Profile Image
Pm on the way and thank you for once again hosting!
Profile Image

Bump

Profile Image
PMing you now ...
Profile Image

PM received

Thank you!
Profile Image
Closed the RABCK some minutes ago. Thank you all for taking part in this exchange. I hope you will have some fun with this kind of exchange and the related themes.

All of you should have gotten a pm with your partner´s details within the last 40 minutes.

So be creative now and let´s have some fun!
Profile Image
Will get in the post tomorow
Profile Image
I will send tomorrow or Monday. I’m moving offices today so life is a bit chaotic.
Profile Image
Thank you for organizing this exchange, Simson-Shilitoe.
Have a nice flight ;)
Profile Image
My pleasure. Thank you very much for taking part in this exchange and for the nice wings, of course
Profile Image
...package sent. Thank you!
Profile Image

Posted

My package is now in the hands of the Royal Mail
Profile Image

Got PM

Got my package ready to go, have to mail Monday.!
Profile Image

PM received

I will send the book next week, once I'm back from a holiday.
Profile Image
Thank you to my exchange partner. If you don't mind, I will keep it untouched until the 31st and then report its contents :)
Profile Image
for the most generous Samhain package including books (http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14207540 & http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14082252 ), a selection of sweets & tea (these are already in use!), stickers, napkins, bookcrossing labels & the cutest woolen pumpkin ever!
Profile Image
the cutest woolen pumpkin ever!

I got it at the Purple Pumpkin Patch shop which is in Loughborough and owned by a Bookcrosser Pookledo!
Profile Image
for "The Woman in Black" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14638254
a huge bar of fair trade chocolate
Halloween balloons
a felt pumpkin magnet
and a great card with a wolf howling at the full moon
Profile Image
...from Germany... maybe it was you, Palwasha?
I am not opening it yet, though I am not sure if I will be able to wait until Halloween...
Thank you sooo much!! :)
Profile Image
I hope the recipient will be pleased :-)
Profile Image
I hope the new owner will enjoy the book as much as I did!
Profile Image
Sorry for being so late
Profile Image
Got your very generous parcel today! Eeek!!!:))) Couldn't help but open it already now!:) Thank you very much for the book and the goodies!
Profile Image
I will save it for the 31st! Thanks Arvores!
Profile Image
You're most welcome. I hope you will enjoy it.
Profile Image
I am not sure if it's for that exchange or for Halloween. We will go on holidays tomorrow and I will take it with me.
Profile Image
I am not sure if it's for that exchange or for Halloween. We will go on holidays tomorrow and I will take it with me.

No, that wasn't the right thread . My Samhain gift is from Switzerland and was waiting for my when I came back :-)

Thank you, Mankyi for "The Macic Apple Tree" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14686441 accompanied by wooden decoration leaves, green tea and a recipe for pumkin soup.

I am writing the journal while hearing your favorite Samhain song. Thank you for sharing with me :-)
Profile Image
I think it will still make on time for my partner to be afraid, very afraid... :)
Profile Image
Got my Samhain package today. Thank you chawoso! Loved all the gifts, I already ate the chocolate! The tiny book looks fun. Thanks for the napkins, postcards, stationary,tea, clips w/leaves, very pretty and bc supplies.
Profile Image
I know it comes from Releanna, but I'll open it tomorrow with my girls. I want them to celebrate with me, since we spent a few days in Ireland this summer.
Thank you in advance, dear friend :-)
Profile Image
Before settling with a pot of spooky popcorn to watch some horror movies... my particular way of celebrating after a hectic day of work... let me thank my partner, Palwasha, for a great parcel, including a book I am very curious about:

"The Awful German Language", by Mark Twain
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14761366/

This is a bilingual edition; I cannot read German, but I am very curious about this intriguing title...
Thanks for the shampoo and conditioner sachets, these are great for travelling; beautiful paper napkins, and blood orange and hibiscus sugar-free sweets... just my type!
And last but not least, thanks for the beautiful printed Samhain picture, and the lovely photo of your cat Inka...
May you have a lovely Halloween / Samhain! :)
Profile Image
Oh gosh, sounds like something I need to have on my "to read" list!:)))
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14774745

I love the book of Irish Fairy Tales, Irish sheep fold up tote bag, postcard of Porto Santo, beautiful bookmark with scenic photos of the Cliffs of Moher, a Wild Atlantic Way postcard with gorgeous West coastal photos, and a leaflet from the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin which looks amazing.

There is a photo in my journal entry. Thanks for all the lovely things.
Profile Image
For the book "Celtic Connections - The Ancient Celts, Their Tradition and Living Legacy" (wich looks SO interesting), the beautiful handmade card and envelope with crows on a tree, the chocolate bar with chestnut and rhum filling (yummy and almost gone), beautiful bookmark (which got a bit stained from the chocolate; that's all for a good cause, anyway), the pumpkin seeds oil (so interesting!!) and the nice candle (orange, clove and cinnamon scent). I love everything. Thank you so much :-)
Profile Image
you are very welcome :)
I'm glad you like everything and that the parcel arrived in time.
Profile Image
my Samhain package for my exchange partner hasn't been delivered yet :(
Profile Image
The parcel arrived in time :) I just didn't have time to come here to notify you.

I received the book "Edinburgh Castle" by Chris Tabraham, BC labels, Halloween stickes, celtic music CD and a wooden witch. Thank you so much!
Profile Image
I'm not complaining but just thought I'd let the sender know
Profile Image
me too

I'm not complaining, it was just for information. I know that sometimes it takes longer.
Profile Image
Your parcel has a longer distance to travel ....
Profile Image
And the sender had life get in the way.
My apologies for the delay. I will send yours out this weekend. Please forgive me.
Profile Image
It should usually take 3 days to my partner's country.
Fingers crossed that it didn't got lost.
Profile Image
also reached its destination and I think rainbow3 liked it :-) http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13220349
Profile Image
For you great Samhain parcel. Bookworm-lady sent me
A book called A world of festivals All Saints, All Souls and Halloween
A Halloween decoration and sweets
Profile Image
For you great Samhain parcel. Bookworm-lady sent me
A book called A world of festivals All Saints, All Souls and Halloween
A Halloween decoration and sweets

Sorry that it took so long to reach you; I hope you will still enjoy it! :)
Profile Image
Don't worry, the Royal mails been awfully slow where I live
Profile Image
Today I recieved the Book "Medicine Woman" , some mint, sage and sweet grass (I really love it!!) two cards and lots of sweets. Thank you <3

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.