corner corner No Books in India?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

No Books in India?

Hi , I have just joined Book Crossing.. but I am not able to find any books in India moreover no members as such.. Any clue.. help me.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi , I have just joined Book Crossing.. but I am not able to find any books in India moreover no members as such.. Any clue.. help me.
Profile Image

Hi, and welcome! While it is true that BookCrossing isn't as active in India as in some other countries, there have been lots of books released there - just not recently. The hunting pages only show locations that have had releases within the last 30 days, so if that time elapses without any more releases (or if the existing ones are caught and journaled, and thus taken out of the wild), the default hunting-page view won't show the location anymore.

There is a "view all" checkbox that will let you see all the locations, whether they've had recent releases or not; that can be helpful at times.

As for BCers from India: the "search" function for members has a timeout limit that makes it difficult to do a search on an entire country; if there are more than a certain number of members, the search will simply fail. If you select a specific city as well as the country you may have better luck - or you can try the "browse" feature, by clicking on your own town on your profile page. I saw lots of members listed that way - though many of them never became active.

One of the ways to try and find local BCers is to wild-release some books of your own; if anyone's watching the hunting pages - and if they're within easy traveling distance - they might try to hunt the books, and/or contact you. But if that doesn't work out, perhaps you could look for tourist-friendly spots, or colleges, youth hostels, etc.; there may be some BC books in book-swap shelves there, and if you leave books of your own there it might improve the odds of someone picking them up.

Do browse the site's information for more helpful hints - the "information" tab has the FAQ and "How to BookCross". And the Site Watch forum highlights books that have been caught, which can be reassuring if you aren't having luck with your own releases.

Hope you enjoy BookCrossing!
Profile Image
Well, I am from India, I joined book crossing recently. we can discuss our favorite books over here. Nice to meet you Shaila.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.