corner corner Are these library books?

Forum | << Newbies | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
So am I to understand it will look different on the cover? Or will it look like any ordinary book, except have the BC markings inside the cover?

It depends how the releaser chose to label it. Not everyone applies external labels - it's all quite varied. There might be BookCrossing labels on the spine or the front cover, or perhaps there will only be a BC label inside the book.

Clicking on the individual book to see the release notes, as Moem suggested, may tell you more about precisely where and when it was released, and there may even be a photo showing where the book was left. [Or perhaps not; people aren't required to provide explicit details, and sometimes people release books on a whim and can't recall exactly where/when by the time they are able to make release notes.]

You might try browsing the Site Watch forum, where people post about releases that have been caught; the links to the books will show you different examples - some with photos - of how people release books, and of the kinds of reactions from those who find them. That might help give you a better idea. But if you do want to hunt a specific local book, by all means, give it a try!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
So I was looking at doing some hunting around my location, and found a spot that seemed to be a college.
I'm uncertain how to see the release notes on the book (it was in a list of eight pages worth of released books).

I wouldn't mind going out to catch the book, but if it's in the college library, won't they just think I'm stealing a book?

I'm uncertain as to the 'how' in snagging this one. It will be my first hunt, so I'm feeling pretty green here.
Profile Image
If one of the books in this library is a BookCrossing book, it should be
- recognisable as such
- NOT a library book. Unless someone went against one of the very few rules of BC, and registered a library book. Let's hope that is not the case.

So I'd say you could go and look for it. You can click on the book in the list of released books to see the release notes and release date; it may or may not still be there. If you find it, it should be easy enough to see whether or not it's a library book, and if not, whether it's properly marked as a BC book; based on that, you can decide whether it's yours for the taking.

I hunted for a book in a library once. It was a lot of fun mostly because I actually found it, just as the library was closing! It did not look like a library book, and had clear BC markings, so I had no problems taking it with me.
Profile Image

Thanks

So am I to understand it will look different on the cover? Or will it look like any ordinary book, except have the BC markings inside the cover?
Profile Image

It depends how the releaser chose to label it. Not everyone applies external labels - it's all quite varied. There might be BookCrossing labels on the spine or the front cover, or perhaps there will only be a BC label inside the book.

Clicking on the individual book to see the release notes, as Moem suggested, may tell you more about precisely where and when it was released, and there may even be a photo showing where the book was left. [Or perhaps not; people aren't required to provide explicit details, and sometimes people release books on a whim and can't recall exactly where/when by the time they are able to make release notes.]

You might try browsing the Site Watch forum, where people post about releases that have been caught; the links to the books will show you different examples - some with photos - of how people release books, and of the kinds of reactions from those who find them. That might help give you a better idea. But if you do want to hunt a specific local book, by all means, give it a try!
Profile Image
except have the BC markings inside the cover

Even that can vary. We're not a very regulated bunch! Everyone does it a little differently. The main rule is that each book gets its own unique BCID number. And no registering library books, only books that are yours to release.

I put the BCID label or bookplate inside the front cover, tape a Tiny Sticker from the Supply Store on the spine, and some sort of BookCrossing label on the outside of the front cover of every book (either ones I printed myself or labels from the Supply Store), all covered with clear packing tape. Some of the labels sold by BookCrossing even say "Look Inside."

But not everyone does it like this. I've seen some people put the BCID label on the front cover, on the back cover, inside the back cover. Or some just write the BCID on some page a few pages in. I don't know why but some people seem to want to make it hard to tell it's a BC book. I want everyone to know, as I hope they will make a journal entry.

If you design your own labels or make a note inside the book, or a release note on the site, make sure you ask that the finder make a journal entry, not register the book. Each book is registered only once, by the person who releases it, but hopefully will be journaled many times after it's released. (Well, we can hope, right?)

Good luck with your hunting. And releasing.
Profile Image

RE: RE: Thanks

except have the BC markings inside the cover

Even that can vary. We're not a very regulated bunch! Everyone does it a little differently. The main rule is that each book gets its own unique BCID number. And no registering library books, only books that are yours to release.

I put the BCID label or bookplate inside the front cover, tape a Tiny Sticker from the Supply Store on the spine, and some sort of BookCrossing label on the outside of the front cover of every book (either ones I printed myself or labels from the Supply Store), all covered with clear packing tape. Some of the labels sold by BookCrossing even say "Look Inside."

But not everyone does it like this. I've seen some people put the BCID label on the front cover, on the back cover, inside the back cover. Or some just write the BCID on some page a few pages in. I don't know why but some people seem to want to make it hard to tell it's a BC book. I want everyone to know, as I hope they will make a journal entry.

If you design your own labels or make a note inside the book, or a release note on the site, make sure you ask that the finder make a journal entry, not register the book. Each book is registered only once, by the person who releases it, but hopefully will be journaled many times after it's released. (Well, we can hope, right?)

Good luck with your hunting. And releasing.

My Mom & I sometimes just write the BCID on the inside cover but usually its just because we dont have a label on hand at the time and if/when we release it we do put a label in it if we remember to do so.

Most times I just label my books and if I am leaving it somewhere I remember I may stick a BC bookmark in it. Usually that only because I am cheap and just print my own labels.
Profile Image
I am cheap and just print my own labels.

LOL, that's not cheep that's creative :-)
Profile Image

:)

Thanks again to all who replied!
Looking forward to the hunt!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.