corner corner How does one use the map?

Forum | << Newbies | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Hi! The graphic map is more of a "see what's going on around the world" snapshot - it collects releases and catches within the last hour or two and displays a subset of those on a loop until the next hour's data-collection. I like to watch it sometimes just to see where the most activity is - or if any of my own recent releases made the cut! - but it is not intended as a book-hunting aid.

For that, see the "go hunting" pages - not a graphic map, but a text list of locations where books have been wild-released within the last 30 days. You can drill down to your location or to nearby towns - or to not-nearby towns, if you're planning a road trip or have friends or family there who might be willing to do a little book-hunting for you.

Do note that wild-released books may not remain at the same spot for very long, though. Releases at book-swap locations - OBCZs, Little Free Libraries, other book-swap-type spots - may be around longer, but there's never a guarantee that you'll find a particular book by the time you get there. But it can be fun trying - and can take you to spots where you may want to release books of your own. And yes, sometimes you will find a wild book...

Complete Thread

Profile Image
When I open the map and begin zooming and panning to my geographical area, every time I had a chance to move the mouse pointer to somewehre close to a book, the map suddenly pops to America or Australia or something and shows a popup for THAT instead. It even does that when I do nothing.

What’s the map supposed to be used for and how? This seems pretty… useless, to be frank.
Profile Image
Hi! The graphic map is more of a "see what's going on around the world" snapshot - it collects releases and catches within the last hour or two and displays a subset of those on a loop until the next hour's data-collection. I like to watch it sometimes just to see where the most activity is - or if any of my own recent releases made the cut! - but it is not intended as a book-hunting aid.

For that, see the "go hunting" pages - not a graphic map, but a text list of locations where books have been wild-released within the last 30 days. You can drill down to your location or to nearby towns - or to not-nearby towns, if you're planning a road trip or have friends or family there who might be willing to do a little book-hunting for you.

Do note that wild-released books may not remain at the same spot for very long, though. Releases at book-swap locations - OBCZs, Little Free Libraries, other book-swap-type spots - may be around longer, but there's never a guarantee that you'll find a particular book by the time you get there. But it can be fun trying - and can take you to spots where you may want to release books of your own. And yes, sometimes you will find a wild book...
Profile Image
thank you! just joined and this was super helpful.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.