corner corner Releasing in school: Yay or neigh?

Forum | << Newbies | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
From a bus stop outside of a University.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I am leaving my place of education soon, but I would still like to know if any of you have tried releasing books in school. I honestly don't know if my books would be used for firewood or taken by a grateful reader. I'm not even sure if the administration would allow it.

Should I try?
Profile Image
... on a bench outside a school before. Got a catch on one of them.

Profile Image
From a bus stop outside of a University.
Profile Image
I was given several bags of books for BookCrossing by a retiring college professor. I knew older books of classics or literary criticism wouldn't go over in the coffee shops and restaurants I usually release at, so I stopped at a University English Dept office and asked their advice. I was told that, "college kids love free books" and that it was okay to leave them outside the English dept office door (I'm usually out releasing in the evening after the office is closed). I think I've only had one actual catch but all the books get taken so I'm glad someone is able to make use of them. You could try asking someone in charge if you want to be sure your releases won't be throw out by cleaning staff.
Profile Image
I've had a nice catch or two from books that I left at the playgrounds of local schools. I try to match the books to the approximate reading level, though I don't worry about that TOO much. I do look for benches or trees near public walkways, so that I don't appear to be lurking. (Some places - schools, public transport, airports, specific cities/countries - have more stringent security measures in place than others; it's a good idea to be aware of the local situation, to avoid spooking someone unnecessarily.)

Some schools in my region have set up Little Free Libraries, which make lovely release spots - and convenient ones too, especially when the weather's iffy. I don't get as many JEs from those, but I like to make use of them in addition to more "wild" releases.

I have explored some college campuses and released books there; some of those have their own book-swap shelves (often in the student center or library), or have set up Little Free Libraries, and many have interesting sculptures or other colorful spots.
Profile Image
from a friend when I donated a BC book to a school's used book fair. I haven't gotten a JE from it yet (that's what makes it unofficial) and I am still a pretty shy BCer, so I haven't told her that I released the bool. However, I have been dropping hints to her about "that weird label on the book you bought" ;)
At that same school there is a statue that I've been thinking about leaving a book on.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.