corner corner Book Catching Help Please

Forum | << Newbies | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello! I just signed up and I live near Baltimore MD. I'm a confused on the information for the books at the BWI airport. Also apparently there is a book on a bus headed for NYC, how does that work?
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome!

For any wild releases, you should be able to click on down to the individual books to see if there are specific details about the release location.

Sometimes there aren't; for example, the most recent BWI airport release was on Feb. 27, nearly a month ago, and the release notes only say "airport", so it's not really a book you could go hunting for very easily.

The release on the bus shows up as this release zone:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/816116

That page shows that the release was made on March 24. If you click on the book's title, the release notes repeat the information in the release zone - the 8 am bus to NYC. Again, not easily huntable - but if you had happened to be on that bus and found the book, the release notes would tell you how it got there.

Other release notes have more explicit details, and if the books were left in fairly sheltered spots - book-swap shelves, Little Free Libraries, or less-obvious places like "hanging from a tree at the trail head of thus-and-such hiking trail" - they may still be there days or even weeks later, giving you a better chance to find one. But there are no guarantees, so if you want to go book-hunting, think of it as going fishing - try to enjoy the trip even if you don't catch anything! [Side note: I don't know how far you are from Rockville, but there's an active Little Free Library there that's well-stocked with BookCrossing books.]

If you haven't already done so, do read the site FAQ, and the "How to BookCross" page - both under the "information" tab. And if you'd like to see some examples of books that were caught, read the Site Watch forum; it can be reassuring, and may give you some ideas about where to release books of your own!
Profile Image
Thank you! I've been looking at lot into Rockville and it's libraries. I just noticed that it's closer to DC then it is to me :/

I think I'll keep searching around, start releasing books and see how it goes! I'm going on a plane to Puerto Rico in around two weeks, might leave a few books at the airport or in the plane.

Do you know if there are any book hunters in Puerto Rico?
Profile Image
Sounds like a great trip! I have seen posts by a new member from San Juan; if you release books there, you may get a catch - though there's always the chance that books will be picked up by someone who just happens to walk by, rather than someone who's already a BookCrosser and is actively hunting for them.

Side note: here's a link to a post I made about Little Free Libraries in or near San Juan:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8902435

I don't know if your trip will take you near them, but if so, and if the LFLs are still there, they'd be good spots to leave a book or two. (If I were going there I'd definitely look for Little Free Libraries - but I'd also look for some nice scenic spots with lovely views or interesting historical monuments, something that would make a good photo opportunity as well as book-release spot.)

Hope you enjoy the trip!
Profile Image
Do you know if there are any book hunters in Puerto Rico?

Hello! I am the Bookcrosser Gory mentioned. Let me know if you need any ideas for release locations! I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Puerto Rico. Who knows? Maybe you'll catch one of my books! :)
Profile Image
Maybe you'll catch one of my books! :)

When you release them :-)
Profile Image
Maybe you'll catch one of my books! :)

When you release them :-)

For your information Camperfan, I released a book yesterday. Here's the link:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14447262
:)
Profile Image
For your information Camperfan, I released a book yesterday. Here's the link:http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14447262

yes I saw it in another thread. Good on you. Fingers crossed for a catch ;-)
Profile Image
We are probably going to be hopping from place to place. Usually on our visits we go to Old San Juan, and El Yunque. (Not that it is a good idea to leave books in a rainforest.) We'll see if I spot any books :)
Profile Image
We are probably going to be hopping from place to place. Usually on our visits we go to Old San Juan, and El Yunque. (Not that it is a good idea to leave books in a rainforest.) We'love see if I spot any books :)

Wonderful! Hope you have fun!:)
Also, you are in luck, because 2 books were released on April 1! They are in convenient locations. I won't say anymore, since that would ruin some of the fun, but if you have any questions about the books or BCing in Puerto Rico ( or Puerto Rico in general) feel free to ask! :)
Profile Image
Thank you! Any advice on BookCrossing in airports? I'm debating with myself on whether I should do it or not.
Profile Image
Thank you! Any advice on BookCrossing in airports? I'm debating with myself on whether I should do it or not.

The FAQ advises against it, for security reasons.

Profile Image
I hope this doesn't sound too dumb but how do you get to the "go hunting" page for Puerto Rico? I tap on USA, and it shows all the states but no info on Puerto Rico. :/
Profile Image
I hope this doesn't sound too dumb but how do you get to the "go hunting" page for Puerto Rico? I tap on USA, and it shows all the states but no info on Puerto Rico. :/

I see Puerto Rico right under Pennsylvania.

Profile Image

It is visible on the hunting pages now, right under Pennsylvania as iwillrejoice said - but do note that the hunting pages only show locations that have had releases within the last 30 days, so if that time elapses without any more releases (or if the existing ones are caught and journaled, and thus taken out of the wild), the default hunting-page view won't show the location anymore.

There is a "view all" checkbox that will let you see all the locations, whether they've had recent releases or not; that can be helpful at times.

And here's a direct link to the hunting page for Puerto Rico:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/101/

Profile Image
Thank you! I don't know hey I had so much trouble finding it. Maybe because I thought it would be registered as something other then a state?

I wasn't able to find any books and while we were walking through San Juan I forgot to leave one. :( I am here for a awhile so maybe we'll visit Old San Juan again!
Profile Image
I wasn't able to find any books and while we were walking through San Juan I forgot to leave one. :( I am here for a awhile so maybe we'll visit Old San Juan again!

I hope you find a book in Puerto Rico, or get to release one! :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.