corner corner Who found my book?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Who found my book?

I just noticed in my statistics that one of my books has been found. However I have no idea who found it, or even what book was found.
Is this normal?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I just noticed in my statistics that one of my books has been found. However I have no idea who found it, or even what book was found.
Is this normal?
Profile Image
Hi! Normally you would get an email notification if someone caught one of your books. There are ways to look them up yourself, though. If you look at the listbox in the upper-right corner of your bookshelf page - it'll have "JdV988's Books: " as the caption - you can select "found" from the list to see the "found" books on your shelf.

However, note that "found" on your bookshelf means books that *you* found. If someone else makes a journal entry on one of your books, it'll show on your profile as "caught". So your finds are someone else's catches and vice versa.

You can see more about that and other things in the site's Frequently Asked Questions page - see the link for the FAQs at the bottom of each page, and under the "information" tab.
Profile Image
However, note that "found" on your bookshelf means books that *you* found. If someone else makes a journal entry on one of your books, it'll show on your profile as "caught". So your finds are someone else's catches and vice versa.

As GoryDetails said, it is yours. It is this book http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13737139/ that *you* found.
Profile Image
Thank you both.
I just mistook the 'found' books that I found for 'caught' books that are on my bookshelf and that others can find.
Profile Image
Thank you both.
I just mistook the 'found' books that I found for 'caught' books that are on my bookshelf and that others can find.

It's confusing, I know. The terms are explained in the FAQs, but unless people think to look there, it is really unclear.
Profile Image
... and after 10 years, I still find this confusing. Specially releases caught and controlled releases. I never know which is which.
Profile Image
... and after 10 years, I still find this confusing. Specially releases caught and controlled releases. I never know which is which.

Controlled releases are when you release a book by giving it to a specific person: a friend, a relative, a co-worker, another BookCrosser, etc.

As opposed to a wild release, where you just leave it somewhere, like in a coffee shop or a park or a waiting room, for anyone to find. One difference is that a wild release is listed on the Go Hunting pages so anyone can see it was released and try to hunt for it. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3/

You wouldn't want a controlled release to be listed there as it already has a new owner, the person you gave it to.

Releases caught were explained above by GoryDetails, I believe.
Profile Image
... and after 10 years, I still find this confusing.

I use this simple mnemonic:
Books I find are mine for a while.
I can remember it easily because of the I-sounds and it reminds me that a book that's found is a book that is now with me.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.