corner corner Wishlist cleanup

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Wishlist cleanup

How can we all encourage people to clean up their wish lists? The times I've peeked at a wish list to see if there is someone who wants a book I have, it seems they're all old posts. I hope that everyone would check their lists and remove any titles they've already gotten or are no longer interested in...

Complete Thread

Profile Image
How can we all encourage people to clean up their wish lists? The times I've peeked at a wish list to see if there is someone who wants a book I have, it seems they're all old posts. I hope that everyone would check their lists and remove any titles they've already gotten or are no longer interested in...
Profile Image
How can we all encourage people to clean up their wish lists? The times I've peeked at a wish list to see if there is someone who wants a book I have, it seems they're all old posts.

I'm not sure we need to be proactive about this. If you want to offer someone a wishlist book, even if the wish is many years old, go ahead and offer; if they still want it - and some of my older wishes are still very much desired! - they''ll be delighted, and if they don't want it, or don't respond at all, you can offer the book to someone else or wild-release it in good conscience. [I do recommend including a time limit in any PMs to BCers you don't know well: "I saw name-of-book on your wishlist and would be glad to send it to you; please send your address within the next week if you want it."

There are occasional reminder posts in the Random Acts forum or elsewhere, about keeping one's wishlist up to date, but if the BCers in question aren't active on the forums and only receive occasional offers of books, there may not be much incentive on their part to tidy up.

And whenever you find the whole wishlist aspect getting a bit too complicated and/or frustrating, by all means, just wild-release the books. Just because somebody posted a wish for a title doesn't obligate anyone to offer to send it to them!

If you have a book you'd really like to send to someone who wants it, you can always post a RABCK offer in the "Random Acts" forum, or a bookring/ray offer in "Bookrings". That will attract people who follow the forums, and while it doesn't guarantee a safe journey with lots of prompt JEs, it does help...
Profile Image
Eminently sensible advice as always, Gory :o)
Profile Image
Hi, Gory Details! I've been looking high and low on the site to try and start my own wishlist. I can't find any place to log mine, or to see if friends of mine have any wish lists. Is this something that you have to pay the "Wings" price to have? Thanks!
Profile Image
Is this something that you have to pay the "Wings" price to have?

The wishlist is for everyone.
Go to you profile (or someone else profile). On the right side you'll see "lynmarenjensen's Books:" and a drop down menu below it. In this drop down menu, you can select "wishlist".
I see tha tyou have added some books to your wishlist some years ago:)
Profile Image
I've been looking high and low on the site to try and start my own wishlist. I can't find any place to log mine, or to see if friends of mine have any wish lists.

CathrineB's post explains where to find your own list or the lists of others.

This older thread includes additional information on how to add to and manage wishlists:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/495616

If you want to search for wishes for a specific book, you can use the "wished for" link on its global-overview page, but I generally prefer the advanced-search page, as that lets me get a broader search by entering only the main title - no subtitles - and the author's last name. This helps find wishes that were entered with different subtitles and with variations on the author's name. The advanced-search wishlist results can be sorted by, among other things, wished-for date (so you can see the newest or oldest wishes first) or by location (so you can see any wishes within the same country grouped together).

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.