corner corner Can I search for someone who wants this book?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Can I search for someone who wants this book?

Hi BookCrossing Team - How can I search for someone who wants the book I am giving away in New York city, Manhattan?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi BookCrossing Team - How can I search for someone who wants the book I am giving away in New York city, Manhattan?
Profile Image
Me again. I just found the category wished for. Most are old. None are from New York. It seems no one here is interested in this 2013 book now in 2016. I suspect I will leave it in my building's book room (overflowing already) or see if the library down the street wants it. Or discard, or give to the man selling books on Broadway. I was hoping I would find locals I could immediately connect with and arrange the giveaway of my book. I am uncomfortable just leaving the book out. What are the chances the finder is interested in this book? What are the chances sanitation will find it first and discard? You have sort of a nice idea, but it is missing the component I most wanted: finding someone who wants Lowlands, and arranging for them to get it in my city, Manhattan. Jump in if I missed this opportunity? Continued success to you.
Profile Image
Or discard

Please don't discard. If you are worried about the chances of someone finding the book, you have zero chance if you discard it. There is always a chance if you release it in the wild. Certainly not all books get "caught" with a journal entry, only a small percentage, but many are picked up and enjoyed by others, even if they don't write home, which also makes me happy.

I leave many of my books in restaurants, coffee shops, and waiting rooms. Because I don't trust the weather, I don't leave as many outside. And if I do, I enclose it in a Release Bag. You could offer it to the man selling books, but first be sure he is okay with a book with a BookCrossing label in it. Some sellers and used book stores and charity shops are fine with them, some are not and throw the book out or rip off the label, so I'd check first.

I personally don't think BookCrossing would be much fun if every book that was wild released was automatically caught and journaled. The fun is in the anticipation, wondering if and when a book will find the right reader who is intrigued enough to respond. But that's just my opinion. And a BookCrosser needs patience as even books that are picked up sometimes take a while to be journaled. Check out the Site Watch Forum to see some examples of catches.

You could offer your book in the Random and Not-So-Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness Forum if you can't bring yourself to leave it somewhere. Either for free, or as a trade with another BookCrosser. I don't know if there are any MeetUps in your area, but that is also a good way to meet and exchange books with other members. You could ask in the Conventions and Meetings Forum.

Welcome from Maine. Good luck with your releasing! I hope your book eventually finds the perfect reader.
Profile Image
Or discard

Please don't discard. If you are worried about the chances of someone finding the book, you have zero chance if you discard it. There is always a chance if you release it in the wild. Certainly not all books get "caught" with a journal entry, only a small percentage, but many are picked up and enjoyed by others, even if they don't write home, which also makes me happy.

I leave many of my books in restaurants, coffee shops, and waiting rooms. Because I don't trust the weather, I don't leave as many outside. And if I do, I enclose it in a Release Bag. You could offer it to the man selling books, but first be sure he is okay with a book with a BookCrossing label in it. Some sellers and used book stores and charity shops are fine with them, some are not and throw the book out or rip off the label, so I'd check first.

I personally don't think BookCrossing would be much fun if every book that was wild released was automatically caught and journaled. The fun is in the anticipation, wondering if and when a book will find the right reader who is intrigued enough to respond. But that's just my opinion. And a BookCrosser needs patience as even books that are picked up sometimes take a while to be journaled. Check out the Site Watch Forum to see some examples of catches.

You could offer your book in the Random and Not-So-Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness Forum if you can't bring yourself to leave it somewhere. Either for free, or as a trade with another BookCrosser. I don't know if there are any MeetUps in your area, but that is also a good way to meet and exchange books with other members. You could ask in the Conventions and Meetings Forum.

Welcome from Maine. Good luck with your releasing! I hope your book eventually finds the perfect reader.

Thanks a million. I understand. I'm not so concerned about getting a journal reply. I had hoped instead that I would find a ready taker. Your idea of waiting rooms is a good one. My book will come with me to the dentist this week. Where I shall release it. Thanks again! Off to the journal or the place where I shall wild release, your having made me comfortable :)
Profile Image
My book will come with me to the dentist this week. Where I shall release it.

That is an excellent idea. You may very well make someone's day, or make it at least more bearable. Good luck!
Profile Image
In addition to the good suggestions you've received so far, if you have other books you'd like to pass along you might try looking for Little Free Libraries near you. Here are some in the Brooklyn area, as reported to the LibraryThing site:

https://www.librarything.com/---/Bed-Stuy,+Brooklyn,+NYC

And the Little Free Library site's map-page showed me several in that area too, not always the same ones listed on LibraryThing. To see those, go to this page and select the City/State option, and enter the desired location:

https://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap/

While I don't get as many journal entries from LFL releases, they do make convenient, often charming, and (usually) weatherproof places to release books, which can be handy if the weather isn't friendly to my usual park-bench/public-sculpture/scenic-spot choices!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.