corner corner Books found but not shown up?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Books found but not shown up?

Hi,

I have released a number of books now, including two controlled releases, one to a friend of mine who assured me that she came to the website and entered its BCID as a found book. However, it hasn't shown up in our statistics and this was some weeks ago. Just wondering why? Also wondering if anyone else may have found one of our wild release books and registered it, but again, stats show nothing. What needs to be done in order for them to show in the stats? Also, if people find a book, do they have to be Bookcrossing members in order to journal it? Many thanks for any advice.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi,

I have released a number of books now, including two controlled releases, one to a friend of mine who assured me that she came to the website and entered its BCID as a found book. However, it hasn't shown up in our statistics and this was some weeks ago. Just wondering why? Also wondering if anyone else may have found one of our wild release books and registered it, but again, stats show nothing. What needs to be done in order for them to show in the stats? Also, if people find a book, do they have to be Bookcrossing members in order to journal it? Many thanks for any advice.
Profile Image
if people find a book, do they have to be Bookcrossing members in order to journal it

No, they can make a JE Anonymously.
For the other questions, I don't have an answer, but maybe somebody else will.
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome! I'm sorry you've been disappointed re catches so far, but I checked your shelf for any books with multiple journallers (a handy wings-related feature) and did not find any, so nobody has made a journal entry on your books yet. I don't know if the friend who said she did failed to complete the JE process - simply entering the BCID isn't enough to flag a book as "found" - or perhaps forgot to do so and didn't want to tell you {wry grin}. Or, maybe, entered the wrong BCID and journaled somebody else's book, though in that case she should have noticed the discrepancies in the information.

I looked at some of your releases and you seem to be doing everything right regarding release notes and book-info, as well as a variety of types of books and release locations. I can't see the labels, of course, but if you've made sure that the books are labeled with the BC information and the correct BCIDs then you should be all set.

Sometimes it takes people a while to decide to journal a book, with some waiting until they've finished reading it - which might take weeks or even months. Others intend to journal but forget, only coming back to the site when they rediscover the book in the back of the car or under the bed. And some simply aren't interested in participating, though they may move the books along somewhere else, and you may get JEs from unexpected locations down the line.

So keep going, and do be patient - and, perhaps, try browsing the Site Watch forum ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11 ) for examples of books that have been caught. You might get some ideas for different release locations, or just some reassurance that people do find and journal BC books - just not as quickly or as often as we'd like!
Profile Image
Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll just be patient then, and see how it goes.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.