corner corner What certifies as a release zone?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What certifies as a release zone?

What is the etiquette on that?

I admit that when I first joined BC a few months ago, one thing that I really disliked is that I started browsing the go hunting pages... and it seems many people release mostly for their own satisfaction or to suit this release challenge or an other, without been really considerate of people hunting their books or respecting people who are not so famiiar with an area but would like to release there too. Rather than keeping the release zones/go hunting listings clean and tidy, there seems to be much clutter for no reason, making them hard to navigate...

For example in Athens there are zones such as a funeral parlor (as far as I see, one theme release happened there ages ago, when a bookcrosser's aunt passed away, I very much doupt it's a place people go to release and catch books otherwise) or different detailed listings such as University X-3rd floor outside the admin of Z department, University X, University X entrance and so on, or Z flower shop on V Square, X coffee shop on V Square, left bench on V Square and so on...Under the generic Athens listing, not even under specific districts/suburbs etc. And there are many many dublicated, identical dublicated listings, something I do not get. This is not unique in Athens of course, I have notice this on various countries/cities/islands etc listings...

I would think that release spots/very small areas where someone released a book could be detailed on the journal entries/release notes rather than creating a gazillion new zones under a generic city listing, but I am not very experienced on the site, so I am not sure if my line of thinking is correct? During last few weeks I have post a few requests on the Region clean up forum and most of them have been adressed, but as I am a new-ish member I do not want to do anything wrong or have older members believe I am too intruding/bossy/step on their feet here....

Please advice!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
What is the etiquette on that?

I admit that when I first joined BC a few months ago, one thing that I really disliked is that I started browsing the go hunting pages... and it seems many people release mostly for their own satisfaction or to suit this release challenge or an other, without been really considerate of people hunting their books or respecting people who are not so famiiar with an area but would like to release there too. Rather than keeping the release zones/go hunting listings clean and tidy, there seems to be much clutter for no reason, making them hard to navigate...

For example in Athens there are zones such as a funeral parlor (as far as I see, one theme release happened there ages ago, when a bookcrosser's aunt passed away, I very much doupt it's a place people go to release and catch books otherwise) or different detailed listings such as University X-3rd floor outside the admin of Z department, University X, University X entrance and so on, or Z flower shop on V Square, X coffee shop on V Square, left bench on V Square and so on...Under the generic Athens listing, not even under specific districts/suburbs etc. And there are many many dublicated, identical dublicated listings, something I do not get. This is not unique in Athens of course, I have notice this on various countries/cities/islands etc listings...

I would think that release spots/very small areas where someone released a book could be detailed on the journal entries/release notes rather than creating a gazillion new zones under a generic city listing, but I am not very experienced on the site, so I am not sure if my line of thinking is correct? During last few weeks I have post a few requests on the Region clean up forum and most of them have been adressed, but as I am a new-ish member I do not want to do anything wrong or have older members believe I am too intruding/bossy/step on their feet here....

Please advice!
Profile Image
No strict etiquette, in part because it would be very difficult to police. I do like to keep release zones tidy - I use more general ones in some cases ["Main Street (see notes for details)"], with specific ones for places I use often and/or places that are "stand-alone". But there's no rule against making a release zone for each different address where a book is left.

There's also no rule that release zones have to be specific, or that release notes have to contain detailed info to help book-hunters, or that there have to be release notes at all. I like to use them in part to maintain my own books' travel history - I include details and photos in most of my release notes - and to keep the "go hunting" pages active in my neck of the woods. Once in a while I do get a catch from someone who mentions seeing the book on the hunting pages, but mainly I like to keep the hunting pages busy so that newcomers to the site will see that there is activity in the area, whether or not they want to try hunting specific books.

The drawbacks of the location-list setup and the release-note process are, I fear, something we need to live with, as the site doesn't have a lot of resources for software modifications to reduce duplication or provide guidelines for when to create new zones or ways to find existing ones. The all-volunteer region managers do lots of good work in helping to keep things tidy, and you're welcome to continue to post location-list issues in that forum.

I do sympathize with the problem; when I try to release books in Boston I have to negotiate a much longer release-zone list than in my own neighborhood, and I can see how it would be confusing for newbies. You could fall back to one of the general "somewhere in [name of city]..." zones - many places have those - and add specific time and place info in your release notes. I don't generally do that myself, but now and then if I'm releasing a book in a place I seldom visit and where I don't know the possible release spots, I may take advantage of the general-purpose zone!
Profile Image
My understanding is that part of the problem is that originaly the "tree" of listings was set up for USA use and there are options for 3 or 4 degrees of sub-categories?
For example one could list Greece>Attica>Athens>Kallithea>Davaki Square> Between two benches on the left but the listing can go only something like
Greece>Attica>Athens>Between two benches or whatever.

As someone on the related forum explained to me, it is not possible to merge listings on different degrees of the tree either and this adds to the confusion, say
Greece>Cyclades>Naoussa can not be moved/merged into
Greece>Cyclades>Paros island>Naoussa and this makes it harder to sort things out.

I think I would have to stick with helping to at least merge the many dublicates and/or move listings under the correct location whenever possible...

Thanks once again.
Profile Image
I think I would have to stick with helping to at least merge the many dublicates and/or move listings under the correct location whenever possible...

You can point those out in the Region Clean-Up part of the forum: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/32
Profile Image
just worrying I may be a pain, I have post lots of requests already lol

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.