corner corner book crossing use by community library

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

book crossing use by community library

We are a volunteer-run community library in the UK, and we are seeking to be involved with Bookcrossing, distributing our surplus books as an aid to improving library membership. As a volunteer initiating this new venture, I am unclear how and whether released books and found books will be able to display our library or whether released books and captured books will be affiliated only to Bookcrossing, with no link to the library. How can we use book crossing to publicise our own library?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
We are a volunteer-run community library in the UK, and we are seeking to be involved with Bookcrossing, distributing our surplus books as an aid to improving library membership. As a volunteer initiating this new venture, I am unclear how and whether released books and found books will be able to display our library or whether released books and captured books will be affiliated only to Bookcrossing, with no link to the library. How can we use book crossing to publicise our own library?
Profile Image
Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking?
Profile Image
As a volunteer initiating this new venture, I am unclear how and whether released books and found books will be able to display our library or whether released books and captured books will be affiliated only to Bookcrossing, with no link to the library. How can we use book crossing to publicise our own library?

There are ways to connect any books you release via BookCrossing to your library. If you make sure that your BC bookshelf includes your library's location, hours, web site, etc., anyone who finds one of your books or just notices them on the "go hunting" pages can easily check out the library. You can also design your own labels that combine the BookCrossing information with whatever you'd like to say about your library. "If you like this book, come to our library and borrow others by this author," something along those lines. Or use regular BC labels but add a bookmark or pamphlet with info on your library.

If you have a book-swap shelf or "free books" box at your library, you can release your BookCrossing books to that location, which will make it show up on the "go hunting" pages - another way to draw attention to your library.

There is a forum for Educators, Librarians, and Parents ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12 ), which may have some helpful hints. And the OBCZ Managers forum ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/27 ) has threads on how to maintain an Official BookCrossing Zone - and while most of those aren't affiliated with libraries, you might find some of the discussions helpful.
Profile Image
Thanks for your really helpful suggestions. It may take us a while to take off with this new venture, but you've given us a useful launch pad!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.