corner corner Found book not in my stats?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Found book not in my stats?

Hi, longtime member/first time forum poster with a noob question.

After releasing books for several years, I found my first title (huzzah!), BCID: 266-5940749. I dutifully made a journal entry for it on February 15, 2016 (<a href="http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5940749#24961457">here</a>). It appears in my 'Recent Book Activity' feed, but does NOT appear in my stats as a 'book found'.

Can someone help me what I did wrong? Thanks in advance, Velma

(edited to repair link)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi, longtime member/first time forum poster with a noob question.

After releasing books for several years, I found my first title (huzzah!), BCID: 266-5940749. I dutifully made a journal entry for it on February 15, 2016 (<a href="http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5940749#24961457">here</a>). It appears in my 'Recent Book Activity' feed, but does NOT appear in my stats as a 'book found'.

Can someone help me what I did wrong? Thanks in advance, Velma

(edited to repair link)
Profile Image
Hi, and congrats on catching a book! Unfortunately, the person who released it did not make release notes, and the site currently computes "books found" and "releases caught" only for books that had release notes prior to the new journal entries. So you didn't do anything wrong - and, actually, the person who let go of the books didn't either, as it's not a requirement to make release notes. The book's on your bookshelf now, and any future entries will trigger notifications to you just as for any other book of yours, so you're good!
Profile Image
Oh, well, *that* sucks. Do you know why BC has that policy built in? Or where to offer feedback on the subject? I'm disappointed, although I'm glad to hear it wasn't a mistake on my part, just ignorance on how things work.

Thanks very much for your assistance and your quick response. Didn't mean to shoot the messenger. ;)
Profile Image
I don't think it's a deliberate policy, more an accidental side effect of site changes that included separating the release-and-catch stats into "wild" vs. "controlled". Before that, the site would count any new JE as a catch, whether there were release notes or not, but when the wild-vs-controlled feature came in - a feature that relies on the use of release notes to tell wild from controlled - apparently nobody thought to make allowances for no release notes at all. [They'd have to default to either wild or controlled - or a new "caught with no release notes" category would have to be added - so it'd be a bit of a headache!]

I believe there are already threads about this in the Feature Requests forum as well as the Bugs forum, but as there aren't a lot of resources available for site changes - especially when it might involve future issues regarding catches labeled as "wild" when the JE-content showed they were controlled or vice versa - I don't expect this to be high on the to-do list.

One workaround, if you really want to include accurate stats on your profile, would be to edit your profile's extended-text section to include a count for "books found/releases caught without release notes". At one point I was rather fussy about that - back in the old days there wasn't an option for controlled release notes, so some people used wild-releases for books they were giving directly to others, while some just made journal entries instead, leaving no consistent stats at all, so I kept track in my profile page. But over the years - and the site-changes - I gave that up, on the theory that my numbers are close enough and I'd rather use my spare time for other things {wry grin}.
Profile Image
Yeah, I think I'm putting too much emphasis on statistics, as is my wont. It wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't my *first* (and to date only) "catch", but it isn't really worth bothering with a workaround (thanks for the suggestion, though). Like you said, my spare time is better spent doing other things, like reading!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.