corner corner Found book

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Found book

Hi all. I haven't used Bookcrossing for a long time (I've released a few books but they never seem to be captured again) but I came across a book in a charity shop today (that wasn't the last release location) so I bought it just because it was a Bookcrossing book! :D

I thought I'd logged that I found it, but when I look at my stats they say:

"4 weeks all time
books registered: 0 17
released in the wild: 0 15
controlled releases: 0 0
releases caught: 0 2
controlled releases caught: 0 0
books found: 0 1
tell-a-friend referrals: 0 0
new member referrals: 0 1
forum posts: 0 4

Stats are updated every few minutes."

So my question is... what did I do wrong when I logged it as found?

Thanks in advance. :)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi all. I haven't used Bookcrossing for a long time (I've released a few books but they never seem to be captured again) but I came across a book in a charity shop today (that wasn't the last release location) so I bought it just because it was a Bookcrossing book! :D

I thought I'd logged that I found it, but when I look at my stats they say:

"4 weeks all time
books registered: 0 17
released in the wild: 0 15
controlled releases: 0 0
releases caught: 0 2
controlled releases caught: 0 0
books found: 0 1
tell-a-friend referrals: 0 0
new member referrals: 0 1
forum posts: 0 4

Stats are updated every few minutes."

Thanks in advance. :)
Profile Image
Welcome back to bookcrossing :-)

As far as I can see you didn't do anything wrong. You made a journalentry which is very nice. And the book is counted as found, because it came from another bookcrosser and you found it. "Releases caught" means some made a journalentry for a book you released.

Profile Image
Congrats on finding and journaling the book! I keep hoping to come across BC books in secondhand bookstores or thrift shops, but it happens very rarely, and even then they're usually my own books {wry grin}.

In this case ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7803943/ ), the last person who had the book did not make release notes, so the book-stats may not count it as a release-caught (for them) *or* a book-found (for you). But if you make release notes for it and someone else journals it, it should count as a release-caught for you then.

Btw, I see that you have had a couple of catches from your own charity-shop releases, so your catch-rate is actually hovering close to mine!
Profile Image
Thank you both for the replies. :)

After I made those charity shop releases someone on here said it's not really the done thing (and I understand that some of the larger charity shops actually remove the labels). Today's find has reignited my interest so I'm going to look for some more books to release into the wild (I shall have to ponder on where) and hope they get caught.

Thanks again for the explanations. :)
Profile Image
After I made those charity shop releases someone on here said it's not really the done thing (and I understand that some of the larger charity shops actually remove the labels).

While it's true that some charity shops do remove identifying information - including BC bookplates - from books, not all do. (BC labels that actually say "free book" might logically be removed to avoid confusion at a site that expects patrons to pay *something*.) But it's not against BC policy to donate books to charity-sale shops or trade them in at secondhand book sites, and I release some of my books that way - though I do like to mix it up, using Little Free Libraries, OBCZs, other book-swap shelves, and miscellaneous public places (especially those that make nice photo-ops, such as local parks or statues).
Profile Image
Some of my books have ended up at charity shops after being released elsewhere. If I see one, I always 'buy it back' and send it on its way again.
Profile Image
Some of my books have ended up at charity shops after being released elsewhere. If I see one, I always 'buy it back' and send it on its way again.

Me too, I buy them and re-release them.

I also label the BCID# generally on the copyright page as well just in case a label is removed from the front cover. In other words, I double label them...once on the front cover and once again in ink on another page that can't be easily removed. That way it may be journaled again even if the label was removed by the secondhand book shop.
Profile Image
If I see one, I always 'buy it back' and send it on its way again.

I tend to do that too. Some of mine have a Free Book label somewhere on them, and since I don't know if others will pay money for a free book, I feel it might get thrown out when it doesn't sell. So most of the time I buy it and re-release elsewhere. Once in a while I don't, but mostly I do.
Profile Image

Wouldn't that become expensive after a long time? Also, some of you were saying they remove the labels. How will you know that the book is the one you released?
Profile Image

Wouldn't that become expensive after a long time? Also, some of you were saying they remove the labels. How will you know that the book is the one you released?

Not all shops remove the labels, and many of us add BC info in more than one place so even if the main label is removed we might notice that the book was one of ours.

As for expense: that depends on how often one finds BC books at shops, and how much they're being sold for - and how much money one has {wry grin}. I've only run into a few BC books in shops, and when they're my own I usually leave them there, maybe updating the release-note info to indicate where I saw them, but I probably would buy someone else's BC book if I came across one in a shop. And if I didn't want that particular book, or couldn't afford it, I could jot down its BCID and make an entry on it.

But none of those options are mandatory - it's entirely up to the individual to decide how to go about BookCrossing!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.