corner corner Where to place label?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Where to place label?

What is the best way to label books? Soft covered would seem easy to put right in the cover to gain attention. But what's the safest place to put the label on a hard cover? On the book jacket? Front or back?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
What is the best way to label books? Soft covered would seem easy to put right in the cover to gain attention. But what's the safest place to put the label on a hard cover? On the book jacket? Front or back?
Profile Image
One on the front: to tell the finder that it is a free book and there is more info inside.
Inside the front cover: one with the info and BCID number.
Little Bally Cumber on the spine (covered with tape because they fall of) so people will recognise it as a BC book when its on a shelf.

And welcome to Bookcrossing by the way ;-)
Profile Image
So the one on the front cover isn't the label with the BCID? Since there isn't much activity near me I'd figured I'd start with the free version to see how things went. But the free downloaded label only shows the BCID.
Profile Image
These are also free:
http://www.bookcrossing.nl/etiket.php
If you scroll down you find the different types.
You could pick out the english ones, to get started.
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome! There are lots of different ways to label books, and even the most scantily-labeled books do sometimes get journaled while the heavily-labeled/stickered/stamped ones might not, so you never know. My preference:

I put a label-with-BCID on the inside front cover. (I generally reserve my custom bookplate labels for hardcovers, and use the free-download labels on softcovers, but there are exceptions.) That's the bare minimum, btw; either a printed label or a hand-written one with the BookCrossing URL and the BCID, plus some minimal "why you should look at this" text. All the rest of my suggested labeling is optional, though I do think it may help improve the odds of getting journal entries on books down the line.

I have a couple of custom stamps with the BookCrossing URL and some basic info ("Where's this book been?" or "Read. Enjoy. Release." or "Visit this book's online journal"), and I use those to stamp the title page and the last page, writing the BCIDs in under each stamp. (I figure that's insurance against the loss of the main label, and the entry at the end of the book might help remind the reader to journal the book if they opted not to do so when they first found it.)

I like to use stickers on the book's spine or outer front cover; there are several different styles available in the Supply Store, from the tiny stickers that fit on most book-spines and have Ballycumber and the BookCrossing URL to the larger, more colorful stickers that might be more likely to draw the eye. There are also free-downloadable sticker styles in the "user-created labels" thread in the Activists forum ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/358601 ), though some of the links posted there may no longer be active. You could even design your own, if you wanted; adhesive return-address labels are a good size for this kind of sticker.

That's what I do for all of my books, whether I'm planning to swap them directly with other BCers or drop them off in OBCZs or Little Free Libraries or other book-swap shelves. If I'm going to leave the books out in some public place, though - what I consider "truly wild" releasing - such as on a park bench, a window ledge, a public sculpture, hanging from a tree, etc. - then I'll usually add a sticky-note to the front cover to announce that the book is free to whoever wants it. (There are supply-store versions of these, which I like to use, but I also resort to Post-it-notes in eye-catching colors and shapes, on which I hand-write "Take me! I'm yours!")

For more on different labeling and releasing styles, check out the Release Techniques forum. This thread ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/518626 ) has some comments on labeling styles, and you might find some of the other threads of interest too.

All that said, don't fret about it too much. It does help that the book is obviously free to the finder and not lost, and of course the BC information needs to be present and legible, but beyond that it's really up to the finder and their level of interest in the book and in the "traveling" concept. I do recommend checking out the Site Watch forum for examples of books that have checked in, sometimes long, long after they were released; it can be entertaining and, if you haven't had a catch yet yourself, comforting, to know that people are indeed enjoying the books!
Profile Image
"Look inside..." or "See inside for details" on them, I always put the BCID label on the inside of the front cover. Either a label I print myself or a bookplate I buy from the Supply Store. And always a Tiny sticker from the Supply Store on the spine, covered with clear packing tape as they tend to pop off otherwise. These make it very visible that this is a BookCrossing book if on a shelf or a used book store bin (where I've found several by the Tiny stickers).

And I either use one of the Slim Stickers or the Official sticker sold by the Supply Store, or a sticker I print myself, on the front cover or book jacket (whichever will fit best without covering up any essential information like the title or author) so people know the book is there for the taking and not lost.

I would not place the BCID label itself on the book jacket, too easy to become separated from the book itself and then the info is lost. For me it's always on the inside cover of the book itself.

I know some people do put the BCID on the outside front cover, but since the site suggests we place it on the inside, that's what I do. But we are all individuals when it comes to labeling. Just as long as the information is legible and visible, it should be okay.

However, I would never put the BCID and other BookCrossing information on the outside or inside of the back cover or some other obscure place, as if someone (like me) picks up that book they are likely to re-register it with a new number, not knowing there is a number on the back of the book or several pages in or somewhere else unnoticeable, where I'd never think to look. The point is for people to see that it is a BookCrossing book right away and get curious and interested, so why hide the information where it won't be easily seen. Good luck!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.