corner corner Getting a BCID

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Getting a BCID

Is it possible to get a BCID before registering a book? Our group is bringing 20 random books to our get-together and I'd like to be able to have the labels with their ID's in them for when they go home that night... if that makes sense. If so, how?

Thanks!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Is it possible to get a BCID before registering a book? Our group is bringing 20 random books to our get-together and I'd like to be able to have the labels with their ID's in them for when they go home that night... if that makes sense. If so, how?

Thanks!
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome! There is a feature called "prenumbered labels", which are basically what you've described: labels that already have BCIDs on them, such that you can place them in books to simplify registration. To activate the BCID, someone should make a journal entry using that BCID. The site will prompt the user to fill in the book's title/author/category, just as in a normal registration. The book will then show as having been registered by whoever downloaded the prenumbered labels, and - if the journal entry was made by somebody else - will also show the new journal entry.

At the moment, as of a recent site change, the prenumbered-label feature is only available as part of the "members plus" wings program, where it used to be freely available to all. Until the situation is straightened out, people who want to use prenums and don't want/need other members-plus features can request temporary wings from BC Support, or just reply here to indicate that you'd like this option and someone on the support team will take care of it. That will let you download the prenumbered labels you'd need!

Here's some info on the members-plus wings features, just in case you're interested:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/plus
Profile Image
Thank you so much!
Profile Image
I'll have to try to get temporary support; this is a one-time activity for for our Girl Guide unit.
Profile Image
I'll have to try to get temporary support; this is a one-time activity for for our Girl Guide unit.

You now have wings for the next week. To download prenumbered labels, visit the "download" link on the "how to BookCross" page - you can find it under the "information" tab. Or go directly to the labels page:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/labels

You should see options to download sets of 10 or 100 prenumbered labels in the form of PDF files. I hope your Girl Guides enjoy the books!
Profile Image
You're amazing! Thank you so much!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.