corner corner English books in 'X' country

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

English books in 'X' country

Is there a way to look for books written in English in a particular location?

eg we are currently in Germany and in time hope to catch some German books, but until then we are interested in English ones.

It would be good to be able to limit a search not only to area but also to a language.

Complete Thread

Profile Image

eg we are currently in Germany and in time hope to catch some German books, but until then we are interested in English ones.

It would be good to be able to limit a search not only to area but also to a language.
Profile Image

No. Language is not a field that's currently present in the database. So it can't be filtered for.
Profile Image
That's a shame. Would this be something that the site owners may consider? Does the site have a suggestions box?
Profile Image
Would this be something that the site owners may consider?

Yes, but it's planned to replace the whole current system of book properties by tags, and language can be one of the tags, for sure. Of course, that info won't be retroactively present in the system for the millions of books we have registered, but you have to start somewhere!
Profile Image
it's planned to replace the whole current system of book properties by tags,

That's planned since this versoin of the Website went online in 2010.
Profile Image
That's planned since this versoin of the Website went online in 2010.

Unfortunately, that's true! *sigh*
Profile Image
Depending on where you are in Germany, you should check Official Bookcrossing Zones (OBCZ) where foreign language books may be present.
Profile Image
Cool Moem. That sounds promising. Perhaps people could still be encouraged to add tags after the new system is up and running, to old listings.

Thanks Bluemchenblatt for letting me know what the OBCZ stands for! Now I can see that there isn't one in Tuebingen, where we currently are, but I did discover a small shelf-full at this Bookcrossing site http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/734914?... .
Profile Image
You can also look on the go hunting pages for Bücherkoffer, Bücherschrank, Bücherkasten, Bücherbox, Bücherregal, etc. These are all give/take bookshelves and boxes. I noticed in Tuebingen you even have a few Bücherbaum (book tree) listed, which also look like some kind of release zone. Most of the books will probably be in German, but I'm sure some English ones will show up too! There might be some there that are not registered with bookcrossing as these are not official zones.

You can also search for a Facebook group of expats selling used books we have one in Basel, maybe there is one near you? They probably wouldn't be registered either but it can be a good resource for affordable English books.

Good Luck :)
Profile Image

Ira

Hello. What about Russia books? Are there any books on russia language?
Profile Image

RE: Ira

Yes, there are more and more books in the Russian language registered on BookCrossing. And did you know that we also have a forum section for the Slavic languages including Russian?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.