corner corner creating a zone near my home, not a business

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

creating a zone near my home, not a business

Hey I think i created a new zone near my home but its in a horse arena near a golf course, and Im unsure if the book i released is official cause it just gave the IBN nr on book , not the pre labeled ones i printed out. dont understand the system

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hey I think i created a new zone near my home but its in a horse arena near a golf course, and Im unsure if the book i released is official cause it just gave the IBN nr on book , not the pre labeled ones i printed out. dont understand the system
Profile Image
Hi, Tjirttail, and welcome!

Re the prenumbered labels - whenever you label a book with a label that already has a BCID on it, you need to use the "make journal entry" page, and then enter the BCID on the label. You should only use "register book" when you DON'T have a prenumbered label, as that process will generate a new BCID. (The instructions on the "register book" page do explain this, and include a link to the journal-entry page.)

If you've already released the book with the prenumbered label in it, but if you did not make a journal entry for that BCID, then your book won't show on your BC bookshelf with the proper BCID - but if the finder *does* make a journal entry, they'll be prompted to fill in the book-details, and your book will show up then. (If you can dash out and find the book before someone takes it, you can jot down the BCID that's on its label and then go home and make the journal entry yourself.)

As for the duplicate copies you've registered, you can use their BCIDs for some other books if you want - or you can leave them as they are, and write it off as a learning experience!

As for the release zone, I saw the one you created for the horse arena near the golf course. It's perfectly OK for a release zone to be near your home rather than in a place of business, and for release zones to be a bit vague - I'm fond of creating a single release zone for, say, Main Street, and then adding specific details in the release-note text, so that I can use the same release zone for different locations up and down the street.

If your release spot involves an actual book-swap shelf of some kind, the release-zone name could be modified to reflect that, but otherwise it's fine as it is.

Hope this helps, and that you enjoy BookCrossing!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.