corner corner How to send a book ?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

How to send a book ?

So, hi !

I am a newbie here and first of all, thank you for existing. I have been waiting for this concept.

Question : how do I send a book ? I am not too sure about leaving behind books that I personally cherish, but I would be glad to send them to someone. I have read it is possible, yet I don't know how. Can anyone help ?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
So, hi !

I am a newbie here and first of all, thank you for existing. I have been waiting for this concept.

Question : how do I send a book ? I am not too sure about leaving behind books that I personally cherish, but I would be glad to send them to someone. I have read it is possible, yet I don't know how. Can anyone help ?
Profile Image

Hi, and welcome! If you're interested in sending books to someone - and can afford the postage, which varies quite a bit depending on location, weight of package, and destination - you can post offers in the "Random Acts" forum. You can include any restrictions you like, such as "within your country" or "will mail in exchange for another book or postage", or you can offer to send the book anywhere with nothing expected in return. Then wait and see if anyone contacts you, get their mailing information, and post the book, using the "controlled release" release-note option to indicate where it's going.

Alternately, you can use the "search" feature under the "books & people" tab to search wishlists, to see if anyone's looking for books you're willing to part with. If you find any, you can check the bookshelves of the people who made the wishes, to see where they live (if you want to avoid international postage costs) or to find out if they've been active on BookCrossing. You can use the "send Private Message" option on the person's bookshelf to send them a message offering to fill their wish. (Do be watchful for profile messages about not wanting any trade requests; some people prefer not to be contacted about books-by-mail.) I do recommend that, if you contact someone, you include a deadline - something like "If you'd like the book, please send me your address within the next week and I'll get it in the mail to you." That way, if you don't hear from the person - whether they're no longer active or just offline for a while - you don't have to keep waiting indefinitely, and can choose to do something else with the book.

There's a French-language forum that you might look at, especially if your books are in French and/or if you want to concentrate your books-by-mail to your own country.

I do recommend trying a few wild releases even if you find you prefer to mail books. You can look for book-swap shelves in your area on the "go hunting" pages, or just leave a book on a park bench, in the waiting area of a restaurant or doctor's office, propped up on a statue... anywhere you like. You never know when a wild release will inspire another new BookCrosser! (If you can't bear to leave books you love in the wild, you could pick up cheap copies of books you *don't* love; odds are somebody will like them. Or do what I do and seek inexpensive copies of your favorite books, so you can keep a copy, trade some copies, and release some into the wild.)

Hope you enjoy BookCrossing!
Profile Image
I believe there is a BookCrossing meetup in Bordeaux, France every month.
You could pass your books onto other BCers.

Maybe check out this thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/516033

There is also an Official BookCrossing Zone (OBCZ) where you could leave your books, so its not quite so 'wild' releasing.
76 rue Notre Dame 33000 Bordeaux

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.