corner corner Editing entries

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Editing entries

Two questions. I've entered some books as 'controlled release' instead of 'wild' but I can't find out how I can change this - does it matter? Also, I registered a book in error. On the FAQ it says that I can just edit the book details. However, there is no option for me to do that. Interestingly, I have the option on the books where the BCID was generated by the system, but not for the ones which are pre-printed on the labels I ordered. So, my second question is - how do I change the details of the book I registered in error (given that the BCID was one on a label that I'd ordered)?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Two questions. I've entered some books as 'controlled release' instead of 'wild' but I can't find out how I can change this - does it matter? Also, I registered a book in error. On the FAQ it says that I can just edit the book details. However, there is no option for me to do that. Interestingly, I have the option on the books where the BCID was generated by the system, but not for the ones which are pre-printed on the labels I ordered. So, my second question is - how do I change the details of the book I registered in error (given that the BCID was one on a label that I'd ordered)?
Profile Image
Two questions. I've entered some books as 'controlled release' instead of 'wild' but I can't find out how I can change this - does it matter?

Hi. How much it matters depends on you - it'll affect your profile stats, and controlled releases don't show on the "go hunting" pages, but if you don't mind that you can leave things as they are. If you do want to change them, you can make new release notes with the correct information, and then go back and delete the incorrect ones - or just leave them in place, and include an "Oops, made the wrong kind of release note" line in the newer entries by way of explanation.

Also, I registered a book in error. On the FAQ it says that I can just edit the book details. However, there is no option for me to do that. Interestingly, I have the option on the books where the BCID was generated by the system, but not for the ones which are pre-printed on the labels I ordered. So, my second question is - how do I change the details of the book I registered in error (given that the BCID was one on a label that I'd ordered)?

Any books registered under your account, whether via prenumbered labels or not, should have a link for "edit book details". If you post a link to the book(s) that you're having problems with, perhaps that will show whether there's something the matter with the entry (or, perhaps, with the labels themselves). [Side note: if you mis-typed a BCID and wound up accidentally activating somebody else's prenumbered label, that could explain why you can't edit the book details - but in that case the book would show as having been registered by somebody else. If that's what happened you can contact support for help in fixing the problem.]
Profile Image
Thanks so much for your reply. I think I've sorted the release question. I have checked that I've used the correct BCID number and I definitely have - it's showing as being registered to me. I have taken a screen shot of my book shelf but can't find a way of posting it here to show you what I mean. Here’s the link to the book http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11132118/ .
Profile Image
Ah, but that one *isn't* registered by you, at least not under the "SarahsPlace" account - it's registered by GirlieB. Is that an alternate account of yours? It seems that your prenumbered labels are under that name, so you'll have to log in as GirlieB in order to edit the book-details of any incorrectly-registered books. [It looks to me as if that is an alternate account, since it also refers to "Sarah's Place".] If you no longer have the login information for that account, you can contact support for help.
Profile Image
Aha - that's exactly what it was. I must have set up two accounts. What I now don't understand is why I can register books from one account that puts it on another (because the BCID numbers must be logged against my other account I guess?). I have now managed to edit the book from the correct account. Trouble is, now it isn't showing the edit on my book shelf. I've contacted support to see if there's anything I can do about my complicated situation. Thanks for your help GoryDetails.
Profile Image
Trouble is, now it isn't showing the edit on my book shelf.

Sometimes the site takes a while to catch up with data changes; it'll usually appear correctly within a few minutes, or in some cases an hour or two.

Re the confusion: when you use prenumbered labels, the books will be registered under the account from which the labels were downloaded (or, if you ordered them from the Supply Store, from the account/screen-name you used when placing the order), no matter who makes the first journal entry on the BCID. (If you want to make it clear that both of those accounts are yours, you could add a note to each of your profile pages or in the journal entries ("I'm also GirlieB"), but you don't have to!)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.