corner corner Curious What BookCrossings is All About

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Curious What BookCrossings is All About

I'm not techy in any way, just logging on the computer takes some thought. But wondering what all you do on BookCrossings? I found the site through a used book I picked up at the library. In fact I would say that out of one hundred books I read at least seventy are used books.

We have great book sales at the local libraries and ongoing resale racks as well. What makes a book "used" anyway? If it's new words for you it's a new book. As long as it doesn't have mold or chapters of highlighter I'm happy no matter where a book comes from. Obviously one feature of this site is tracking how many places a book travels to.

What other features are there that you particularly enjoy?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I'm not techy in any way, just logging on the computer takes some thought. But wondering what all you do on BookCrossings? I found the site through a used book I picked up at the library. In fact I would say that out of one hundred books I read at least seventy are used books.

We have great book sales at the local libraries and ongoing resale racks as well. What makes a book "used" anyway? If it's new words for you it's a new book. As long as it doesn't have mold or chapters of highlighter I'm happy no matter where a book comes from. Obviously one feature of this site is tracking how many places a book travels to.

What other features are there that you particularly enjoy?
Profile Image
# Finding appropriate places to leave my books.
# Reading other members opinions/ reviews on the books I share - usually done by bookrings or bookrays.
# hearing back from the books I release - catches are not common, so the occasional email in my inbox from bookcrossing is very exciting. (Go to the Site watch Forum to see some of the interesting catches).
# This is an on-line community, but it is much more than that. If you get involved in the Forums you will meet like-minded people and make new friends. An added bonus for me is the people I have met in my own city, as well all around the world by attending local meetups or international conventions.
# for me, bookcrossing has enabled me to enjoy two of my favourite interests - reading and travelling!
Profile Image
# Finding appropriate places to leave my books.
# Reading other members opinions/ reviews on the books I share - usually done by bookrings or bookrays.
# hearing back from the books I release - catches are not common, so the occasional email in my inbox from bookcrossing is very exciting. (Go to the Site watch Forum to see some of the interesting catches).
# This is an on-line community, but it is much more than that. If you get involved in the Forums you will meet like-minded people and make new friends. An added bonus for me is the people I have met in my own city, as well all around the world by attending local meetups or international conventions.
# for me, bookcrossing has enabled me to enjoy two of my favourite interests - reading and travelling!

All of the above, plus through the BookCrossing forums I've learned about Little Free Libraries and Kiva.

I love Release Challenges and almost all my releases are for one or more of those. Check out the Release Challenges Forum.

And I feel I've made so many friends here!
Profile Image
Journal entries like these are a big part of what BookCrossing is all about, to me. They do not come along often, but every time they do, they remind us of how our books can be a source of comfort to a stranger who needs some, and that this probably happens a whole lot more often than we know.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7075010
Profile Image
they remind us of how our books can be a source of comfort to a stranger who needs some, and that this probably happens a whole lot more often than we know.

Like this one: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/394778/
Profile Image
just a few points why I love bookcrossing....

I meet with poeple I would have never met without bookcrossing – some of them have become friends in the meantime

I read books I would have never been reading without bookcrossing – also here some of them are friends in the meantime

I enjoy outdoor walks looking out for release places

I discover the excitement to wait, if the book turns up again sometime

I am so thrilled, if I receive catches showing, that someone found a book saying "this made my day!"

it makes me happy to make people happy
just by releasing a book....

to be continued .....
Profile Image
BookCrossings. No "s" at the end.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.