corner corner What to do when a book gets destroyed?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What to do when a book gets destroyed?

My cat threw up on of my books and it is history. I was going to read it and pass it along and now I can't. Plus, my husband left some pumpkins that rotted on the table on one of my other books and it got ruined. What do I do about these books that had to be trashed? They are registered and I don't know how to cancel them or what to do. Please advise. I'm glad these were just my own books and not given to me by another member.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
My cat threw up on of my books and it is history. I was going to read it and pass it along and now I can't. Plus, my husband left some pumpkins that rotted on the table on one of my other books and it got ruined. What do I do about these books that had to be trashed? They are registered and I don't know how to cancel them or what to do. Please advise. I'm glad these were just my own books and not given to me by another member.
Profile Image
It's a shame to lose a book, but I admit the rotten-pumpkin version sounds a bit more interesting than the cat-barf one!

In cases where the book has a travel history, I'd suggest simply making a JE to explain what happened and then set the status to "traveling" (as in, "to that great library in the sky"). That will leave its history intact but it won't show as "in your hands" on your bookshelf view. (Adding a photo of the pumpkin would be, I admit, tempting - or you could contribute the remains of the books to your compost heap and take a photo of next season's garden to memorialize the books!)

Since these were books that you registered, you have other options as well: first, if you want to, you could get replacement copies, labeling the new copies with the BCIDs of the original, now-destroyed books.

Or, if you don't want to do that, you could recycle those BCIDs and use them for the next books you want to register; use the "edit book details" feature to change the title/author info to match the new book, edit your JE as needed, and label the new book with the recycled BCID.
Profile Image
I send them to RB (recycling bin)
Profile Image
Adding a photo of the pumpkin would be, I admit, tempting

And for the other one, a photo of the cat!
Profile Image
In cases where the book has a travel history, I'd suggest simply making a JE to explain what happened and then set the status to "traveling" (as in, "to that great library in the sky"). That will leave its history intact but it won't show as "in your hands" on your bookshelf view. (Adding a photo of the pumpkin would be, I admit, tempting - or you could contribute the remains of the books to your compost heap and take a photo of next season's garden to memorialize the books!)

Found "The Big Library in the Sky": http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/288376
Profile Image
It's a shame to lose a book, but I admit the rotten-pumpkin version sounds a bit more interesting than the cat-barf one!

I suggest writing a journal entry that says something like 'My book died.'
:-)
Profile Image
I had this happen with a book before, I had a new puppy and she chewed it up. The library was going to want alot for it when it was a very used paperback book. So I just ordered a used one online really cheap, put the library stickers on it and returned it.

[Advertising content removed by BC Support. Please don't make us block your account.]
Profile Image
that the book was destroyed if it has other journalers.

If not, I'd probably just re-use the BCID.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.