corner corner No BCID - what do I do?

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

No BCID - what do I do?

I work in a mall management office, and one of our staff brought two books with little Bookcrossing "I'm Free... See Inside" notes to the lost and found - someone left them on a bench, presumably as a release. However, there is no bookplate or any other sort of BCID information inside the books. I looked everywhere - inside the cover, on the pages, inside the dust jacket - no ID anywhere.

Clearly someone wanted to do Bookcrossing but didn't follow the directions properly. I don't want to lump them in with the lost and found, since they were meant to be part of Bookcrossing. But I also don't particularly want to take on the task of registering and releasing them.

What should I do with these books?

(I'm in Norman, Oklahoma if anyone wants to come take them off my hands!)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I work in a mall management office, and one of our staff brought two books with little Bookcrossing "I'm Free... See Inside" notes to the lost and found - someone left them on a bench, presumably as a release. However, there is no bookplate or any other sort of BCID information inside the books. I looked everywhere - inside the cover, on the pages, inside the dust jacket - no ID anywhere.

Clearly someone wanted to do Bookcrossing but didn't follow the directions properly. I don't want to lump them in with the lost and found, since they were meant to be part of Bookcrossing. But I also don't particularly want to take on the task of registering and releasing them.

What should I do with these books?

(I'm in Norman, Oklahoma if anyone wants to come take them off my hands!)
Profile Image
First, thanks for taking the trouble to ask! If the BookCrossing notes are sticky-notes, it's possible that someone got them off of other BC books and didn't realize (or didn't care) that there's more to BookCrossing than just adding the note to any old book.

I have seen some BC books where the BCIDs were written - in pencil, and with no additional comments - on one of the *back* pages of the book, as unlikely a place as I can think of - but if you've already looked through the front and back end-pages and haven't seen any mysterious digits, then it seems the books weren't registered (or weren't labeled). I didn't see any recent release notes made in Oklahoma at all, never mind in your town, so that suggests that the books weren't registered. If you have the titles and authors, we could try looking for copies of those books recently registered in your area - but that only helps if the titles are rare ones... That method's more useful for mis-labeled books anyway, where some of the BCID's digits are wrong or illegible.

So - I'd say you can just add the books to the lost-and-found in good conscience. (In fact, that'd be OK even if they were fully registered and labeled. I've had a few catches of books that spent some time in lost-and-found before being claimed by an employee or donated to a charity-shop.)

Or - if you have any book-swap shelves in your area, Little Free Libraries or other such things, you could leave the books there. No need to register them yourself unless you'd like to {wry grin}.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.