corner corner Policy on labeling/releasing withdrawn library books

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Policy on labeling/releasing withdrawn library books

Hi All,

I'm a brand new BookCrosser (and since I adore library book sales - and tend to buy good to pristine condition withdrawals with nice dust jackets and dust jacket covers), I'm wondering what the program policy is about releasing such books.

I've made a hobby of cleaning books, so I've learned how to remove branch i.d. labels (stuck to the exterior of the dust jacket covers) but could do nothing other than cover bar code labels, etc., applied to a dust jackets before a book receives a dust jacket cover. (These are - most often - impossible to remove without damaging the dust jacket).

Also, there's, often, the issue of the word "withdrawn" not being, already, written on inside, rear end paper or board. (The most recent method of indicting a withdrawal seems to, simply, be heavy, black permanent marker applied to the dust jacket cover to obscure the bar code, followed by a swift and permanent deactivation of the anti-theft sensor).

I could certainly scribe the word "withdrawn" on end papers, and use Book Crossing stickers to cover irremovable spine and bar code labels, etc., but are there policies regarding such activities.

I'm sure these issues have surfaced before.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mobilebookworm

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi All,

I'm a brand new BookCrosser (and since I adore library book sales - and tend to buy good to pristine condition withdrawals with nice dust jackets and dust jacket covers), I'm wondering what the program policy is about releasing such books.

I've made a hobby of cleaning books, so I've learned how to remove branch i.d. labels (stuck to the exterior of the dust jacket covers) but could do nothing other than cover bar code labels, etc., applied to a dust jackets before a book receives a dust jacket cover. (These are - most often - impossible to remove without damaging the dust jacket).

Also, there's, often, the issue of the word "withdrawn" not being, already, written on inside, rear end paper or board. (The most recent method of indicting a withdrawal seems to, simply, be heavy, black permanent marker applied to the dust jacket cover to obscure the bar code, followed by a swift and permanent deactivation of the anti-theft sensor).

I could certainly scribe the word "withdrawn" on end papers, and use Book Crossing stickers to cover irremovable spine and bar code labels, etc., but are there policies regarding such activities.

I'm sure these issues have surfaced before.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mobilebookworm
Profile Image

If that is a question, then the answer is no, there aren't. But honestly, your ideas sound fine to me and I would most likely do the same. Do as you please, I say you are on the right track.
Profile Image
Yes, Moem, it was ment as a question. (Hope you'll forgive my poor punctuation proofreading). Thanks for you're help and encouragement.

Thanks for all of your site translation work. Keep up the serious effort, won't you, please?
Profile Image
Thanks for all of your site translation work. Keep up the serious effort, won't you, please?

You're most welcome, thanks for your kind words!
Profile Image

Hi!

I use withdrawn library books a lot. I do tend to cover their stickers, and cross out their barcodes.

Welcome to Bookcrossing! I was so delighted when you picked up two of my books. There is a Twin Cities group of Bookcrossers that meet on the first Sunday of every month. Normally we met at Ginkos, where you picked up the books, but this month we are meeting at JMT subs. Mostly because we can't face the Snelling Avenue construction. Four years of roadwork in the same area is rather disheartening.....

ETA [edited to add] link to JMT http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/689457
Profile Image
Hello and thanks. I hope to meet you FTF, this Spring. Until then, web talk will have to suffice. (It will take me that long to get organized, anyway). :<)
Profile Image
(I don't remember who it was) said he/she was accused of stealing library books in a journal entry, I started putting a sticker on the inside cover or first page of each released library book that says:

I started out as a Library Book. Now that I've retired, I've become a BookCrossing book, traveling around the world and meeting new people. Please take me home, go to http://www.bookcrossing.com and let my prior readers know that I am safe and still traveling. Thanks. Registered by solittletime through BookCrossing. com

(This fits on the same size 4" x 2" labels that I print pre-numbered labels on.)

I think I might have "borrowed" some of that wording from that forum post also.

I always indicate if a book is a paperback or hardcover in my first journal entry too, and if it is appropriate I'll put something like:

Withdrawn mass market paperback library book.

Good luck!
Profile Image
Hi and ... MANY thanks for the label idea (and sizing). I appreciate the phrasing, too.

Please PM me whenever you undertake your next "international" distribution. Such efforts are usually a great idea (and I'd like to help, if possible).
Profile Image
I started out as a Library Book. Now that I've retired, I've become a BookCrossing book, traveling around the world and meeting new people. Please take me home, go to http://www.bookcrossing.com and let my prior readers know that I am safe and still traveling. Thanks. Registered by solittletime through BookCrossing. com

Good idea. I've noted it for myself too!
Profile Image
I often use something similar to solittletime's quote, on the lines of
"This book has been freed in a library sale & wants to travel the world..." or the like. I also like to quote
" Bookcrossing.....make the world a library " as it seems fitting to me!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.