corner corner Question on etiquette

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Question on etiquette

I have a generic release journal entry which I copied from one I liked and as I have Wings it automatically gets entered when I release a book.

It suggests that the finder put me as their referring member if they join. This has clearly annoyed another Bookcrosser when I released a book she had originally registered and she wrote a journal entry to say use her name not mine. I edited my release entry to put her name as well. What do other Bookcrossers do?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have a generic release journal entry which I copied from one I liked and as I have Wings it automatically gets entered when I release a book.

It suggests that the finder put me as their referring member if they join. This has clearly annoyed another Bookcrosser when I released a book she had originally registered and she wrote a journal entry to say use her name not mine. I edited my release entry to put her name as well. What do other Bookcrossers do?

Profile Image
I don't request that anyone enters me as a referral. It's the easiest way and I don't care for it anyway.
But yes, I do agree that it's a bit annoying to some of us if a book is re-released by someone else who then suggests that a finder enters them as a referral. If I were you, I'd simply edit that part of your default release notes out whenever you use them for a book that's been registered by someone else.
Even though the release notes are entered automatically, you still have the opportunity to edit them, after all.

Also, it's not necessary to have a long explanation of what BC is in several release notes for one and the same book, so if previous notes cover that, maybe edit that out as well (provided that your default release notes have that, I haven't seen them, so this may not apply).
Profile Image
Thanks, that's really helpful.
Profile Image
"If you are new to BookCrossing, when you join please indicate that you were referred by solittletime or any other journaler."

I don't know if it annoys anyone; no one has ever complained. But once a person releases a book, it isn't theirs anymore, so I personally don't think they have a right to tell you what to put in your own JE.

And to tell you the truth, almost no one ever indicates they were referred by me anyway. It is so rare that I don't think people read my release notes at all. : )
Profile Image
"If you are new to BookCrossing, when you join please indicate that you were referred by solittletime or any other journaler."

I don't know if it annoys anyone; no one has ever complained. But once a person releases a book, it isn't theirs anymore, so I personally don't think they have a right to tell you what to put in your own JE.

And to tell you the truth, almost no one ever indicates they were referred by me anyway. It is so rare that I don't think people read my release notes at all. : )

Thanks solittletime, I find that a book I released being journaled at all is a rarity! I live in hope. :)
Profile Image
I have this on the end of my default release note;

(If you decide to join Bookcrossing, please consider putting me, <b>Plum-crazy</b>, as your referring member - thank you!)

If it has annoyed anyone they haven' t said. I certainly don't object to someone putting it on a book I originally registered. As I see it the referral should go to the person who last released the book as they "got the catch". Though as said it doesn't get actioned much.....I've had 20 referrals out of 250 wild catches!

Profile Image
... would be to recommend me as the referring member in the case of a dispute. I don't care about the funny little numbers.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.