corner corner Printing Labels

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Printing Labels

I generated a page of ten labels and I have the resulting PDF file, but when I print a test page and hold it up to the label sheet (Avery 8253), it doesn't match. The labels are too high on the page. I can't seem to figure out how to tell Adobe Acrobat to increase the top margin. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Complete Thread

Profile Image

Printing Labels

I generated a page of ten labels and I have the resulting PDF file, but when I print a test page and hold it up to the label sheet (Avery 8253), it doesn't match. The labels are too high on the page. I can't seem to figure out how to tell Adobe Acrobat to increase the top margin. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
Profile Image
Hi,

I had the same problem trying to print the labels with my HP 895 printer. Nothing I did would force the labels to print right. However, I did solve the problem. Here's what I did.

I displayed the PDF file of the labels on my computer monitor as they are supplied by BookCrossing. I then used a screen capture program called HyperSnap (http://www.hyperionics.com/) to capture just one of the labels. Any screen capture utility will perform this function. The captured label was saved as a GIF file.

Next I opened Microsoft Word XP and opened a blank document. I then clicked on TOOLS and LETTERS & MAILINGS and ENVELOPES & LABELS. I clicked on OPTIONS and changed the lable size to 5163 and clicked OK. Next, I Clicked on NEW DOCUMENT. Word then opened a window with the outline of the label page. Next I went to INSERT and PICTURE and browsed to my saved GIF file and inserted it. I then copied and pasted the label into each of the label outlines and printed the labels. Everything worked adequately.

I thought the gray type on the labels was a little light to I opend the GIF file in an Image processing program called Ulead PhotoImpact (http://www.ulead.com) and bumped up the contrast a little. The next set of labels were as good as printing from the PDF file.

What BookCrossing needs to do is provide a single label in an Adobe PhotoShop format or Ulead PhotoImpact format so that we can create our on pages. Another alternative would be to provide the labels in Word format.

I know that my solution may sound complex, but that's only because I spelled out the steps carefully. It actually only took me about 10 minutes to figure out and follow the steps I described. It should take you less time because you have instructions to work from.

Enjoy,

Max Lent
max@maxlent.com
http://www.maxlent.com
Profile Image
Actually, I was thinking of doing something just like that (except I'll probably use FrameMaker instead of Word).

I agree that the labels should be provided as individual graphics, but I'm not sure that using a proprietary format is the way to go. Not everyone has Photoshop. I think it would be better to provide it in JPEG format.

Anyway, thanks very much for your detailed reply!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.